Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this review from XXXXX Parts, when I tried to put a different barrel on my PT 1911 HD. I'm holding back the name until I get moderators approval.

"The Colt parts won't fit the Taurus. Modifications will have to be made to the firearm and GPC doesn't want to be responsible for the possible malfunctions of a modified firearm.

Please take this to a Gunsmith for assistance with the modification."

I'll PM the letter from the company to the Moderator to evaluate. I'm real tired of being treated like second rate news. I had one (semi-famous) gunsmith say, "I don't work on junk". get that out of here. Again if it's okay w/ the moderrator, etc.

The gun is great, better then that. I have close to 20 (twenty) firearms. Most antiques but the Taurus is perfect, only they're not going to let a bonehead like me ruin there rep. by making alterations on the newest model. They are to establishing credibility again first. I error and people say, " the Taurus did this or that".

Check any part dealer for parts. Type in Taurus, then parts or accessories. Enjoy your grips or sight, you might get lucky with a holster.

I worked on this project for four months, I used my own Colt parts with poor success at best. Don't buy a Taurus like I did, if you want to change it. The gun is great (as is only). I use it often with, "out of the box perfection" but stop there. Somebody please prove me wrong.

I read the article, Shooting Times, that's the second one, tell me why the lugs don't line up right with a colt barrel? Is that the tweaking you mention? You need a depth gauge and the Colt links are thick, that's all I can wright.. Your playing with your life or your face can get blown off if you make a mistake. That's why they are trained gunsmiths, then all you have to do is pray (on the first shot).

Taurus will revoke your warranty in a second, get a gunsmith that knows, and maybe.. I tried five, one is a friend of mine, he wouldn't touch it. Just said Taurus has some strong policies & I'm not going there. One Gunsmith said no problem, $65. to reset the new barrel.

Try this: "Shooting Times (Gunsmith Addition)" Oct 2007, gives ways of testing the barrel in a slide with light or color, clay etc on the lugs, then see the gaps a colt barrel leaves. I'll tell you this, my Taurus Showed NO LIGHT on the head spacing or anywhere else where points of contact are concerned. That's perfection, My Colts didn't come close, even my $900 Defender looked like a bad movie.

That's some of the facts, I don't care who's offended, it's not JUNK except to a jerk but it's not an exact mil spec either. Sorry I'm tired and angry with being lied too or major companies not even getting back to me. Later...........

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd like to see the letter and the companies names that you have referenced. 1911 barrels are usually not really "drop in" and most require a gunsmith install.

Also, what are you trying to change about the gun? If its "perfect" why are you trying to make changes? Replacing grips and sights are the majority of what people want to do. Finding a good holster (and I'm picky on them) won't be an issue when the time comes.

Whenever I get my next 1911 I know that I want a short guide rod for the ease of disassembly. My last one had the long rod and while it worked fine I liked my first 1911 better with the short one. And this alteration won't be an issue I'm sure.

Steelheart

·
Registered
276 Posts
Fire one, Thanks for the information, but I haven't had any problems with swapping parts out of my PT1911 with government parts I have ordered on line. For example, I replaced the barrel lug with an Ed Brown and it was a perfect fit! I didn't have to do anything with it. I replaced the FLGR with a stainless Wilson one and again, perfect fit. I am familiar with others who have used drop-in Wilson triggers and hammers with no problems. I fully expect that most other government parts (like barrels) are going to drop in no problem, or require minor fitting.

Some parts that I know aren't fully in spec are the front and rear sight dovetails. That has been a hassle for Taurus owners looking to replace those parts. Also, I have read that the slide might not be easily swapped out with just any old government slide.

As far as smithys who refuse to work on a Taurus... so what? That means absolutely nothing. I had a gun shop owner and smith tell me what junk a Remington is, and he refuses to sell Remington rifles or parts in his store! *GASP* :eek: :D Again, who cares? There are smithys who WILL work on the Taurus... and Remington firearms. ;)

The bottom line is that the PT1911 is a great gun, it can be worked on, government parts do swap into it, and the bad guys aren't going to be insulted if you shoot them with the PT1911. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Don't worry about it Any 1911 owner of any type will tell you that putting in a new barrel will take some "minor fitting" I don't care what the brand is. Be thankful your pistol will cycle all the rounds in the mag right out of the box. Years ago it took some extra polishing on the feed ramp with guns right of the box or you would get failure to feed, and that's with hardball. Hollow points? Forget em. And I am talking about Colts here. All 1911 makers have cleaned up their act some, but with all the manufactureres of 1911s and parts out there there's going to be a need for some fitting because all the makers of this stuff aint playing on the same sheet music.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Am I the only one who is lost after reading this post?

Taurus' warranty is pretty standard... no manufacturer wants you sticking your parts on their gun and then sending it back for warranty work!

The only difference is that Taurus has a lifetime warranty which is significant to mess with... however, most tinkerers are way beyond worrying about warranty when they start messing with their guns.

"out of the box"... it seems that Taurus has already taken care of everything that 90% of the buying public wants on their guns... "out of the box". Why swap barrels... why swap other parts? It isn't because the original don't work... or you can't get replacements... it is just because you want to... so you are back to first issue.

I apologize if this only stirs the confusion.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
Personally, knowing the Taurus is not a direct copy of the 1911 part for part would be a GOOD thing to me. I have been there, done that with 1911s. Jamamatics, the ones I had, with anything, but ball ammo and I surely wouldn't have bet my life on one. The M9 was a step up for the military in my opinion.

Everything I've read about the Taurus version is that it needs no real "improvement". If it's good out of the box, why bother? You really want a tinkerer's toy, there are plenty of part for part 1911 clones out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I was going to get something to tinker with it would be something real cheap like a RIA. Then I could gouge and grind to my heart's content to create my perfect Frankenstein gun. At this point in time, I really can't find anything that I would change on my PT, except I may get some fancy grips to show off with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree. So far, every time I've been to the range I've had someone question me about the Taurus. I've let a few pull the trigger a few times. Every one hit a bullseye and finished with a big smile. Last Friday I think I sold one of these for Taurus. Guy was leaving the range and heading to the gun store right away.

Why change parts on a "out of the box" shooter. This gun is very accurate and reliable. And a lifetime warranty to boot. I'll keep mine as is and screw with the Kimber if I feel the need to tinker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the comments & I apologize for not answering sooner. I didn't even know someone posted a reply until yesterday. I hope Moderator Steelheart received my PM from the distributor.

Cimarron, sorry about the confusion, I was trying to comment on another site & somehow created a new topic or a monster.

My intention is to create, a one of a kind "rifle". (WAKE-up) Starting with a 16.5 inch barrel, the Crimson Trace Site and a strong handgun to support the project. Therefore Steelheart, I too will need a special holster. I have a "legal" stock to make it into a rifle as well. Finally I can be as creative as I want. Even purchased a "Promag Drum" for it, a Mac bushing Adapter(FTF). Lot of fun but you need a gunsmith to checkout the work and legalities. If it gets finished I'll send a picture from prison (kidding).

Obviously I'm not using the firearm for home defense or carry. It's not a carry gun & a jury will bury you as far as necessary force goes. I chose Taurus over RIA Texastbird because of the quality & numerous options, I tried both guns & a High Standard side by side, there is no comparison in trigger pull, crisp, no delay or sluggish feel (good for smaller hands), etc.. NativeTexan, there is no way that I'm going to improve the gun to ME, this is a freedom and the last of it.

Pierce, I've only recently checked w/ Wilson & yes, they have parts for Taurus (code A). I didn't know Ed Brown was also a good match, thanks. You Make sense, and the groups feedback has been incredible. I'm finding there's a lot of work in customizing, more then just reading. Enjoyable yes but it sounds like most of you, have been there too.

If you have replaced the barrel you know with mine, there could be, a considerable amount of filing for alignment (a Colt knock-off). I believe a standard .278 link can fit and the standard bushing will work as well. Gentlemen, in all reality I know this must sound wild but time is running out. When those elections come in, your going to see "that face..." and 1000's of gun control laws, starting where "her husband" left off.

Still annoyed, "Mil. Specs." it's only a phrase, poetic license I suppose with our money & safety. Well thanks to all of you and never stop trying. Time to find a gunsmith....

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
So basically, you want to convert it to a carbine and add a Crimson Trace sight right?

This conversion has been around for quite a while and should be easier: http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.html

Steelheart

·
Registered
2 Posts
They do, 101st trooper and that shouldn't be changed. I think I'm looking for exotic and should apply for a special license in special class firearms.

I worked w/ a guy from the 82nd airborne, taught me allot. In my case perspective & patience

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts