Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HATE changing calibers. Especially if it involves a change in primer size.

Now mind you ..... I have dies already set up in die bushings, and a separate powder measure for each caliber, so it's not that much work. I just hate inconvenience

I finally got off the pot today, after I finished loading a batch of 1200 .45 ACP with small primers.

Decided to catch up with my .44 Mags. Primer change :mad:, as well as shell plate, and dies.

THEN ....... I see that I only have 650 bullets. Thought I had more. I'll load through those tomorrow.

Now is where the EXTREME laziness shows up:

My .357's are low. Down do 50 rounds. I have probably a minimum of 2000 empty cases and 3 or 4 K of bullets. Everything else will be caught up, so I have to do those next.

The thought of changing the height of the dies really disturbs me. I'm gonna order a new set of dies, and another powder measure, so that I can reload .357's without screwing around with the settings of the dies, and measure for my .38 Spl.

SO? Who's as lazy as me?

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I don't think I would call you lazy. You just value your time highly and would rather spend a little money on dies, powder measures and the like and save on your expensive labor costs.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I would call you lazy. You just value your time highly and would rather spend a little money on dies, powder measures and the like and save on your expensive labor costs.
Your comment makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. My wife would say that I'm lazy. Previously to reading your comment, I might agree.

OKAY ........ So now I'm a person who highly values his time. ....... I LIKE THIS A LOT :D

Anybody want to challenge this ?

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,872 Posts
No challenge, I do this also, 38spl die set, 357 mag die set, 10mm die set, 40 cal die set. Once I get them dialed in I don't want to move them around for another cal.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The thought of changing the height of the dies really disturbs me. I'm gonna order a new set of dies, and another powder measure, so that I can reload .357's without screwing around with the settings of the dies, and measure for my .38 Spl.
Thirty odd years ago when I was reloading both 357 and 38 spl. on a single stage press, I used a .125 inch spacer between the lock ring and the press. With the dies set up for the 38 spl. when I wanted to load 357s, I would simply add the spacer under the lock ring and it was correctly adjusted.
As far as powder measure goes I kept the settings written for each load I used. That gave me a starting point for fine tuning the the load. FWIW I still have and use my powder measure and scale from back then.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Thirty odd years ago when I was reloading both 357 and 38 spl. on a single stage press, I used a .125 inch spacer between the lock ring and the press. With the dies set up for the 38 spl. when I wanted to load 357s, I would simply add the spacer under the lock ring and it was correctly adjusted.
As far as powder measure goes I kept the settings written for each load I used. That gave me a starting point for fine tuning the the load. FWIW I still have and use my powder measure and scale from back then.

I add in washers under my turret head when I go from .38s to .357s. It gets me very close so I have to adjust it very little. The downside is that the auto index doesn't always work like its supposed to. It jams up so I remove the rod and index by hand. I have considered buying another set of dies but I think I will wait for now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's not lazy, that's smart. I bought another set of .38/.357 dies for that very same reason.( After forgetting the dies were adjusted for the .38's and crunching a .357 case or two.)

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
No challenge, I do this also, 38spl die set, 357 mag die set, 10mm die set, 40 cal die set. Once I get them dialed in I don't want to move them around for another cal.
Same here, I get my dies set to just where I want them and don't want to have to mess with them. This is the same reason I try to stick with the same bullet provider once I find a round I like. If I switch bullet providers, I have to rework up loads which takes up more of my time then I want right now.

I have two sets of .32 cal dies, and 2 sets of .38 cal dies to save time.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I still use a single-stage Rockchucker, so when I finally get a set of dies dialed in, I won't like moving them around either.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
When something becomes mundane or troublesome, it is time to make a change in routine or just move on to something else for awhile. I keep my reloads at a quantity that lets me go for three or four months before I have to start reloading.

No, I am not that lazy!:D:D:D

Reactions: Rottiejake

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
Yes. You need one press set up for large primers and another one for small primers....

As far as a second set of dies for .357 vs .38, I prefer to look at this as a consistency issue. You'll never get them back to the same exact adjustment so a second set is justifiable.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. So I'm not lazy after all. That's great news.

Yeah when I went to the Dillon place, and looked at the 650, I thought the very same thing: Use the Hornady for one size primer and the Dillon for the other.

Couldn't afford it though :(

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Well Rottie, seems you are not alone. Members here are either efficient or lazy. Personally, I buy my reloads from a trusted source, so i'm either highly efficient or highly lazy. If you won't opine, I won't either.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
nope don't think its lazy, i've got one of those lee classic turret presses, you can buy new 4 hole turrets the dies go in for it, and i have one for each caliber, fully set even the powder measure, the first time i had to change it from 9mm to 45acp, that was enough and i got it set up like it is now. and if you don't like the turret action you can disable it and use it as a one station at a time

the turret swap only takes seconds so small batches are doable, and they are $15 each

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My Dillon 450 is strictly for loading .45acp. I use the single stage RCBS for loading .38, .357 and .44. Dies for each so I don't have to keep adjusting except for the bullet seating and crimping die if needed.

I wouldn't mind picking up another progressive for the .38.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I HATE changing calibers. Especially if it involves a change in primer size.

Now mind you ..... I have dies already set up in die bushings, and a separate powder measure for each caliber, so it's not that much work. I just hate inconvenience

I finally got off the pot today, after I finished loading a batch of 1200 .45 ACP with small primers.

Decided to catch up with my .44 Mags. Primer change :mad:, as well as shell plate, and dies.

THEN ....... I see that I only have 650 bullets. Thought I had more. I'll load through those tomorrow.

Now is where the EXTREME laziness shows up:

My .357's are low. Down do 50 rounds. I have probably a minimum of 2000 empty cases and 3 or 4 K of bullets. Everything else will be caught up, so I have to do those next.

SO? Who's as lazy as me?
I am lazier cause I can only load about 50-100 at a sitting; AND I am also cheaper because I won't spend the money on some threaded metal if I don't have to.:zzz:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Doesn't matter the reasoning, it's your way and that's what counts at the personal level. I'm exactly the opposite. I love the minutia of checking and double checking. I don't use the set screws in my lock rings, I took the o-rings out of my Lee lock rings. I check and double check my adjustments. I disassemble and clean my dies after every second or third use. Some people find all this tedious, I find it to be a labor of love.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm almost that lazy, maybe even lazier in other ways, but I like to think of it as "There's always an easy way to do things right".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts