Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked awhile back about what was the best AR or M4 for under a $1000.00. I asked my Father if he'd sell me his Colt AR15 that was bought about 30 years ago. Its hardly been shot, so is there anything i should look for with particular rifle?

·
21,932 Posts
Colt AR's are usually expensive so even if its older it could be a good deal.

I have the S&W M&P15 and love it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I asked awhile back about what was the best AR or M4 for under a $1000.00. I asked my Father if he'd sell me his Colt AR15 that was bought about 30 years ago. Its hardly been shot, so is there anything i should look for with particular rifle?
Yes. But 1st educate yourself.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

Please note this is just a start. Good luck to you.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'm not an expert on colts or anything, but there's nothing in particular that I can think of apart from the usual stuff (look for pitting in bore, check function, etc just like you would on any other used gun). If you were buying it from someone else I would suggest you check the roll marks to verify that all of the parts are still colt, but given who your buying from I wouldn't expect any dishonesty. As long as it's been properly stored, and if it has a low round count like you say, you should have a great pre-ban carbine that should need little to no attention.

These pre-ban guns (especially their stripped lowers) are like gold for AR15 owners in some of the more communists US states that only allow ownership of pre-ban guns.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I had a Colt AR15A2 for years, and while it was a good rifle it dirtied itself all too easily. I just replaced it this past XMas, and this time around I chose a Stag Model 8 piston driven AR. I'm lovin' it. I had it to the range last week, and just opened it up today and was amazed to find the lower receiver was clean. It's about as milspec as a piston driven AR is going to get, and so far there hasn't even been the hint of a malfunction. Weighs in at a shade under 7 lbs, and it's got picatinny rails front and back, and includes some nice flip up iron sights. I didn't put that many rounds through it, but I'll be taking it out again real soon and I'm sure it will repeat its original performance. It made a piston convert out of me real quick. $986 at Bud's. And Stag's parent company forges and manufactures a lot of the parts, so you get a lot for your $986 from Stag. It's a good lookin' little sucker too -

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
See if it is missing the forward assist.

·
Registered
322 Posts
it all depends on what you want out of your rifle and your location. I got me a nice Rock River Arms Varmint A4 20" for just under your price limit brand new, out the box. It's heavier than any carbine, but it's laser-beam accurate out of the box if I do my part. Look around and I'm sure you can find a good deal.

Of course, there's always the build your own route...I hear that's fun.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't go wrong on the price. When I asked Dad how much, he said we'll talk about it later. He told me that he paid $280.00 and he still has the original invoice. This gun is for I want one and USPSA three gun as well. The gun is coming from Florida to Washington, I have a FFL I work with so I've got that covered. This is my first AR. Unfortunately I haven't seen this gun for 30 years I couldn't tell you what features it has as long as it prints a target. While I'm writing this my Grandson and I are Shooting each other with Nerf pistols, that kid is getting good shooting from cover. He's only 4.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
a 30 year old colt, could be worth upwards of $2500 in a pre-ban state.

New colt 6920's go for right at $1k, older colts are more sought after by the collector's and shooter's alike.

If it were me, coming into a gun like that, I would clean it up and put it on a mantle or sell the lower or complete rifle in a pre-ban for a considerable profit, then buy two brand new colt 6920 with the profits.

As far as checking it out, look for feedramp wear, bolt and bolt carrier for cracks or excessive wear, and the chamber and bore for pitting and wear. If it hasn't been shot much my wager is your father has a) a classic firearm b) a classic firearm worth beu coup bucks in a pre-ban state c) all of the above and a great piece of worksmanship

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a 30 year old colt, could be worth upwards of $2500 in a pre-ban state.

New colt 6920's go for right at $1k, older colts are more sought after by the collector's and shooter's alike.

If it were me, coming into a gun like that, I would clean it up and put it on a mantle or sell the lower or complete rifle in a pre-ban for a considerable profit, then buy two brand new colt 6920 with the profits.

As far as checking it out, look for feedramp wear, bolt and bolt carrier for cracks or excessive wear, and the chamber and bore for pitting and wear. If it hasn't been shot much my wager is your father has a) a classic firearm b) a classic firearm worth beu coup bucks in a pre-ban state c) all of the above and a great piece of worksmanship
I couldn't part with it, no mater the profit. I know the gun has less than 100 rounds through it. In all honesty I'm goin to shoot the crap out of it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I couldn't part with it, no mater the profit. I know the gun has less than 100 rounds through it. In all honesty I'm goin to shoot the crap out of it.
I don't blame you for one second!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Sounds like you came across the best deal possible! Plus there is so much aftermarket out there that you could modify it to suit, and still change it back to factory configuration if you so desired.

·
17,565 Posts
I'm O.K. with that, it's what it was meant to do.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sounds like you came across the best deal possible! Plus there is so much aftermarket out there that you could modify it to suit, and still change it back to factory configuration if you so desired.
If you're going to shoot it leave it as is, unless it's your only rifle. The smooth lines of a classic colt are similar to a no frills m1911a1. Both are very customizable, but are true beauties in their natural configuration. If you must customize, get a different upper and customize it. Those classic colt's are simple beauty!

There I go again telling someone what to do with their rifle or firearm. Of course do with it what you will, but the above is what I would do.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Congrats, sounds like a SWEEEET deal!! As already said, check the usual things for a 'used' gun, and I'll add one little item that is Colt/AR specific. I only know about this from having a newer Colt, but if you want to upgrade the trigger or some other parts, be sure to check the pin diameter on the lower. Apparently Colt used 'different' pin sizes over the years, but my new 6940 is the current standard size. Good Luck with that, Happy Shootin' & Be Safe.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have a question in regards to the barrel if it is a 1/12 should i replace it with a 1/9 ? I'm to understand that the 1/12 twist is not suitable for anything over 55 grains this way my ammo choices are better. I am not familiar enough with AR's and small caliber for that matter.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
There is nothing wrong with shooting 55gr bullets, whatsoever. I wouldn't start making changes until you shoot the thing, that way you'll be able to discern if something actually needs to be changed or if it's a wash on the 'upgrade'.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Agree with Shokr here. 55gr will be by far the most available/affordable choice and you will likely end up shooting that almost exclusively either way. If you decide to hunt with it, or if you decide you want to buy some steel core for whatever reason, then you can think about replacing the barrel.

Personally I would buy a new upper rather than change the one that came on it. Shoot the crap out of the new upper and allow the original upper to keep it's low round count. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I do have a question in regards to the barrel if it is a 1/12 should i replace it with a 1/9 ? I'm to understand that the 1/12 twist is not suitable for anything over 55 grains this way my ammo choices are better. I am not familiar enough with AR's and small caliber for that matter.
If you've got a 20" barrel on it, I'd leave it alone and shoot the M193 55 grain rounds through it. Most of the 'choices' available today are largely due to the loss of muzzle velocity from a shorter barrel and it's resultant decreased lethality. That 55 grain bullet traveling at 3400 fps was a notoriously nasty little bugger, and its effectiveness is probably why the Soviet Union developed the 5.45X39. The 1:12 won't heat up as fast as 1:9 or 1:7, and if you shoot a lot of rounds the barrel will last longer too. Evidently you can get some erosion problems with the faster rounds with a fast twist.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll do exactly as you recommend, thanks for the quick answer. I'm very fortunate that I have father thats so damn cool.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts