Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build my own from readily available upper & lower AR15/M4 out there on the market. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing, and possible preferences on which upper & lowers to go with? I was looking at Mega/SNS Lower, with Rock River Arms Varmite 20" Upper.

jt

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've built a couple dozen AR15's and prefer to use Superior Arms uppers and Lowers. But to be honest most AR parts suppliers have good quality stuff and I'd recommend you do some price shopping.

I have purchased several uppers from http://www.del-ton.com/ with excellent results. If I was doing something other then Superior Arms build, I'd go Del-ton. Great people and they actually answer the phone when you call.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have done some building myself, it all depends on what you want to spend. Also if your located in a different state than D here you might want to look around for a local manufacture of lower receivers. Not to knock superior arms but if there is a local manufacturer you won't be paying for someones fuel charge, and that adds about $20 dollars to the asking price. While I built mostly from OLY arms, I live close to where they make em so I can get the parts cheap. Take a peak at AR-15.com and they have a good How-to and most of the board discussions are dedicated to the reliability of one brand over another and you will get the gist of which parts are good or not. Depending on how complicated you want to make things, No US manufacturer of AR parts really makes a bad product.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I went with a Stag lower and a Model 1 Sales upper. 24" Stainless steel extra heavy bull barrel. The upper came with the lower parts kit and buttstock. All said I had $720 into the gun with transfer and shipping included.

·
Administrator
18,110 Posts
As for the Parts for the AR's I've built, most of the Parts I've used have come from M&A Parts and a Gun Show Vendor, who I've dealt with for a long time, now deceased.

http://www.m-aparts.com/

Built an M4 style Flat-top with free float tube and Gas Block Rail (no front sight) on a DPMS Lower, four months ago, for a shooting buddy. Everything went together very nicely and the rifle is very accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jwc007 said:
Built an M4 style Flat-top with free float tube and Gas Block Rail (no front sight) on a DPMS Lower, four months ago, for a shooting buddy. Everything went together very nicely and the rifle is very accurate and reliable.
What did you spend on that rig by chance? It sounds exactly what I am wanting to build, except I want a nice varmite barrel.

jt

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Always buy local if the quality and support is there. I use Superior Arms partly because they are built about 50 miles from me and I personally know the family, but if they didn't have the quality I wouldn't use them. I generally can built a nice AR flattop or handle for around $550.00-on up depending on what options I want.

Seriously check out Delton.com great prices and service.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like Bushmaster recently bought by Remingtons parent company, RockerRiverArms,and Stag Arms. I would either order the upper and lowers directly from the company or look for better prices on Gunbroker.

·
Administrator
18,110 Posts
jtodaro- About $650 with ALL the parts. DPMS Forged Lower was $140 w/tax of that. Prices may have risen since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts