Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had acquired a couple stripped lowers and a parts kit before the panic. I have a spikes tactical pistol upper on order so I decided to throw the parts in my lower. Found a step by step and it was pretty easy. I had picked up a couple sets of yellow springs from JP Enterprises, so I put some in this lower, along with polishing the trigger. It felt awesome compared to my factory trigger. So I took the trigger out of my DPMS mutt and polished it up and put in the yellow springs. It made a huge improvement for only a $10.50 investment.

Now since my DPMS kit was built on a spikes lower, most likely I will swap it so I can have a spikes lower and upper set for my pistol. The upper has a Troy free float rail on it and has a spikes bcg, so its going to turn out nice.

This is the upper I am getting minus the red dot

This is the look I am going for since it has this rail on it already.

One day I plan to get a short 300 blackout barrel for it and hand load for it.

·
Administrator
18,410 Posts
Very Interesting! :cool: Look forward to seeing it when it is more completed.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The upper arrived yesterday. I picked up a set of fde magpul sights. Going to probably go with a primary arms red dot eventually. Hopefully I will get to test it out this Monday. I still need a pistol buffer tube to complete the basics.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got to test it out today. I found out that with the lightweight yellow JP Enterprises springs, the stock hammer is too heavy. Hf of the trigger pulls didn't light off the primer, just dented it using federal 223. Most write ups mention bobbing the hammer like the JPE speed hammer. So I switched to some left over wwb 556 frangible and managed to get a few of those to fire. Apparently I need to work on my grip, because the first shot that went off, I almost smashed my nose with the charging handle. Shooting from a rest at 30 yards the magpul sights were pretty close to dead on. I only got about 12 rounds to fire, so I packed it up. I ordered a pistol buffer tube and a fee buffer cover that will go on next.

The wife brought her M&P 15-22 rifle and she put a couple mags through it. It was only her second time, and she finally understood what I meant on how to look through the sights. Once she got the point, she started eating the bull on her target. Then we backed her up to 30 yards and set it on a rest and she tore it up. We were using Remington goldens and had a decent number fail to eject, so she was getting a bit miffed about that. But we had a blast.

The wife's target. Some were 15 yards standing and the rest from 30 yards on a rest.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If that Barrel is less than 16", I would advise you to destroy that pic. By installing that rifle buffer you have created an SBR. The A to the T to the F does not care if it was temporary or just checking it out.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rifle buffer is not illegal on a pistol. I don't have a spare stock laying around, so its a moot point. There are plenty of pistols using a standard tube. Check out the ATF letters posted on ar15.com regarding this. Besides my pistol tube arrives this week. The only reason I am getting one is to put on a fde cover.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldnt risk it. That atf letter states that the stock be removed and replaced with a pistol buffer before adding the short barrel upper. Another letter states its ok to leave the rifle buffer on as long as you dont have a rifle buttstock that could be put on it in your possession. It dont state that buttstock has to be a spare one. So just having another buttstock in the same location on another AR could cause a problem. Only because the ATF has been know to contradict itself as well as have different interpetations by different agents.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my Phase 5 tube and Exile Machine FDE cover in this week. I also bobbed the hammer since I got light strikes with the yellow springs and full hammer. Still trying to decide on a grip, since I am not sold on the magpul ones. May just break down and get one.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My experience in law enforcement on the issue is this. If the ATF shoes up oh your doorstep, you've got bigger problems then a rifle buffer vs. pistol buffer legal interpretation. More often than not you would be prosecuted under state law rather than federal. They've got bigger fish to fry. Nevertheless a rifle buffer is legal but I would advise in using a pistol buffer to eliminate all doubt. I haven't noticed a big difference in shooting an SBR vs AR Pistol unless its in full auto. Have fun!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I also bobbed the hammer since I got light strikes with the yellow springs and full hammer.
I like it! I had trouble with the JP yellow hammer spring and Hornady Steel Match ammo, but steel is the only thing that gave me trouble. I did this mod too, and it's the best $.50 I ever spent. It will get all the creep out of your trigger, and it's real easy to do. With this mod in place I reinstalled the stock hammer spring, but the break is so crisp I barely notice the heavier spring. AR $.50 Trigger Job

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I put the set screws in both my ar's and the wife's m&p 15/22. Polishing the trigger and some lighter springs and the set screw makes a night and day difference. Going to try it out hopefully this weekend to see if the hammer mod makes a difference. On the 15/22 I just polished and added set screw since I only bought 2 spring sets. Still made a world of difference.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Painted some mags using krylon khaki in their camo line. The lid matches perfect to the magpul sights, but sprays and dries a little lighter. I think I am going to go with a Bravo Company grip with a bit more vertical drop to it. And have some fde squid grips on the way to add to the Troy rail along with a SpikesTactical enlarged trigger guard. I didn't get to test drive it yet with the hammer bob but will report back when I do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Got my Phase 5 tube and Exile Machine FDE cover in this week. I also bobbed the hammer since I got light strikes with the yellow springs and full hammer. Still trying to decide on a grip, since I am not sold on the magpul ones. May just break down and get one.

What are you looking for in a grip? soft or hard? finger groves or straight? There are a lot of options out now. I like these http://www.opticsplanet.com/mission-first-tactical-ar15-m16-pistol-grip-g27.html or these http://www.rockwellarms.com/Store/P...ical-A-PEG-AR-15-Grip-Rough-FDE-LT-750-SC-FDE http://www.rogtac.com/ergo-2-suregrip-4010de.html http://www.opticsplanet.com/mako-group-rubberized-pistol-grips-for-m16-m4-ar15.html

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
Looks like fun to me.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm leaning toward this one since it has a bit straighter drop to it. Looking for one in fde of course. I might just go with a Blackhawk in tan that my local Walmart has for $26.

BCM GUN FIGHTER's Grip GFG Mod 1 - FLAT DARK EARTH

From what I have read, when shooting a pistol that causes you to be "scrunched up" a bit more than a rifle length stock, the more vertical the grip the better it feels on the wrist. That's why I'm leaning toward the Bravo Company. Plus it supposedly matches the magpul color better than the other non magpul stuff. Since the mags are off a bit, it might not matter anyway.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New update. I shot 2 magazines and still got some light primer strikes. 12 out of the 60 wouldn't go off. Not really sure what brand since I had loaded up a bunch of mags a while back. I thought the bobbed hammer would do the trick, which it drastically improved. But I am going to throw the factory hammer spring back on and try again on Thursday.

Here is my target. Its 25 yards, and only about a third of them were leaning on a rest. The remaing shots were standing.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today I ran about 75 rounds using the factory hammer spring and had no misfires. It ran awesome, even though I wish I could get the lighter spring to work. It felt quite a bit better with the lighter spring, but I would rather have consistent it.itions.

Here is my target, I was shooting Minute of Smiley Face at 25 yards standing.

·
Administrator
18,410 Posts
Well today I ran about 75 rounds using the factory hammer spring and had no misfires. It ran awesome, even though I wish I could get the lighter spring to work. It felt quite a bit better with the lighter spring, but I would rather have consistent it.itions.
I agree that consistent ignition is quite preferable! Looks like it's shooting very nicely for you. :cool: Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts