Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a s&w mp15sport2 and am considering some sort of optic.tight budget,Looking for best quality for inexpensive if there is such a thing. Thanks

·
9,106 Posts
For a non magnified optic on a budget - I would choose the Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. I've had these on AR's - shotguns - and bolt rifles. Sweet 3 MOA optic, that always holds zero and has decent glass.

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Super Moderator
14,014 Posts
While not based on personal use, I have read only good things about the TRS-25 red dot. It's a quality optic, and the price point is only an added plus for those on a budget. I will buy one for myself, soon.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
It's hard to beat the TRS-25 for value. It's basically an industry standard for a quality budget priced red dot. But if you are on a REALLY tight budget, the Field Sport Red Dot is hard to beat too. For twenty bucks it gets rave reviews on Amazon and has for a long time. It also has a cult following on YouTube. I have two of them myself. Check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/FieldSport-M...545165350&sr=8-3&keywords=field+sport+red+dot

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have the TRS-25 on my 9mm carbine and it has been reliable through quite a bit of use. On my M&P Sport I have this RDS that also has been reliable for several years including use in 3 gun matches. Actually just put the first new battery in it since I bought it. I don't do the leave it on all the time thing though.
Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

I should add that if you don't buy something by Jan. 13th I will give you and update on the UTG and how it handle the all day rifle training class!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have two Bushnells - a TRS25 and a TRS32, one Sig Sauer - a Romeo, and one Vortex - a SPARC AR. I think the Vortex is the best of the bunch for under $200. The Sig was about the same price. The Bushnells were both under $100, and they work fine - they just have a bigger dot. The Sig and Vortex are 2 MOA dots. The 32 is 3MOA and the 25 is 5 MOA. Bigger dots aren't as precise, of course, but they may be easier to use in a hurry than the smaller ones.

·
Registered
419 Posts
while I like the TRS-25 if I needed more accuracy at distance I use a Millett 1-4 DMS but I'm not sure if they are even still on the market. I've had one for years and moved it from gun to gun with no problems.
One of the reasons I like it even if the electronics fail or the battery goes dead it still has the dot just not illuminated.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
TRS 25 with a medium riser. It should sight just barely over the top of your front sight. I have them on my M&P Sports...:)

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
First biggest question that has to be answered is what do you intend for your primary/most significant use for the rifle?

If you're going small-medium game hunting over open terrain, a zero-magnification red dot doesn't make much sense.

If you're going to compete in three-gun, a 2.5-8 scope isn't much help.

Let's start with the mission, then fit the gear to it.

Reactions: Peacemakr40

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Usually, the only difference between cheap and expensive red dots is battery life. I have 2 TRS-25 red dots, they have good battery life, but I would change the battery before taking it out hunting, or shooting competition. I don't think I have paid over $60 for either one, with or without a riser. I use the UTG high riser (1" high and $10) on the one that came without, but the one that came with a high riser works fine too, just remember to use Locktite 242 on the bolt that secures it to your picatinny rail. Both are lower third cowitness, so they will stay out of your line of vision for the most part, until you need them.

My other red dots are a Vortex SPARC II, and a Holosun HS515C. I like the HS515C because it is a circle dot and because it has built-in flip-up lens covers. They both have digital controls, 25,000 plus hours of battery life, and shake awake (meaning they stay on and wake up when you move them).

That $200 deal on the new Vortex SPARC AR is their new AA battery red dot is the regular price of the SPARC AR plus 10 free PMags. Or if you figure the PMags at $10 each, then your are getting the SPARC AR at half price. Either way a nice buy.

I don't worry about big dots. The small ones can be a little more difficult to pick up in bright daylight and you can use the top of the big dot inside 50 yards and out to about 200 yards use the bottom of the dot for an aimpoint.

If you haven't used a red dot before, place it at the balance point (usually where the barrel meets the receiver), or maybe a little bit either way. Don't try to look through it like a scope, keep both eyes open and look at the target and the dot will appear there. I try to ignore the optic device altogether and just concentrate on looking at the target. If someone asks you, this is called the Bindon Method. Now that assumes you always mount the rifle to your shoulder the same way/place and have a consistent cheek weld (marksmanship 101, or BRM for you vets).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts