Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old and I finally finished building our AR. We are both happy with how it turned out. Took it to the range today fired a safety round with a string, checked the brass everything looked good. Cleaned the barrel and he took the next shot. (Still has the smile on his face) Sorry no range pictures we were fighting rain and mosquitoes. Did take a picture before we left the house while the sun was still shining. Between us we only fired 20 rounds, cleaning the barrel every couple rounds. This one is a little long and heavy for him. The next one we build will be a 16" barrel and a lot lighter for him.

Gun Rifle Airsoft Airsoft gun Shotgun

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Looks like a very nice build there. I take it it's a 18" barrel or longer? Nothing wrong with that either, gives ya a bit more range. Is it an HBAR barrel? If it is, then I can understand the weight on it too.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a very nice build there. I take it it's a 18" barrel or longer? Nothing wrong with that either, gives ya a bit more range. Is it an HBAR barrel? If it is, then I can understand the weight on it too.
20" YHM fluted barrel with a 15" free float quad rail. Still need to add some form of red dot optic and a fore grip. Primary purpose is a range fun gun, I still need to find a place to shoot out to 100+ yards.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like one happy kid. Congrats!
Looks good FKL! That is one happy boy there!
He had a blast shooting it the little bit we did today. He was afraid at first, after the 1st shot he got over that. Hopefully next time we won't get rained out.

Reactions: tservice

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Good job. Congratulations.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Very cool for you and him to share this project! He will remember it the rest of his life, except for awhile when he discovers girls. :icon_ goofy:

Could you explain the safety round with string? I think I may understand the concept (recover discharged round for maybe barrel rifling marks, primer hit, etc) but had never heard of it before so I'd be interested in some more info/pics.

EDIT: Boy do I feel stupid...DUH!
As noted in later posting string was used to pull trigger on first round fired from safe distance. I was really wondering how the heck a string could be used in BCG and/or even remain connected to the round being chambered & ejected...double DUH DUH! :icon_ nono2:
Well...at least I can be proud of my folks, they raised me to own up to my mistakes so others don't do have to suffer the same indignant DUH moments!?!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I'm guessing the string was used to pull the trigger from a safer distance.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool for you and him to share this project! He will remember it the rest of his life, except for awhile when he discovers girls. :icon_ goofy:

Could you explain the safety round with string? I think I may understand the concept (recover shell for maybe barrel rifling marks, primer hit, etc) but had never heard of it before so I'd be interested in some more info/pics.
I knew he would want to fire the rifle 1st and it would just kill me if something went wrong and he was harmed. I understand it was a minimal risk but I did not want to take it. We used a rest that secured the rifle to the bench and he pulled the trigger remotely with a string for the first shot. After inspecting the brass he then held the rifle and shot again. Just trying to be as safe as possible since this was our 1st build.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Could you explain the safety round with string? I think I may understand the concept (recover discharged round for maybe barrel rifling marks, primer hit, etc) but had never heard of it before so I'd be interested in some more info/pics.

EDIT: Boy do I feel stupid...DUH!
As noted in later posting string was used to pull trigger on first round fired from safe distance. I was really wondering how the heck a string could be used in BCG and/or even remain connected to the round being chambered & ejected...double DUH DUH! :icon_ nono2:
Well...at least I can be proud of my folks, they raised me to own up to my mistakes so others don't do have to suffer the same indignant DUH moments!?!
I'm sorry ,but that is funny right there! I don't care who you are. Thanks for the laugh. No disrespect intended.:D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Very well done - not only for building a nice firearm, but for building a memory that your son will take into the future with him. "When I was nine, my Dad and I built an AR-15 from parts." I build computers with my son - I see now another project we'll have to consider. Thanks for being an inspiration not only as a gun builder, but as a Dad!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My 11 year old and I finally finished building our AR. We are both happy with how it turned out. Took it to the range today fired a safety round with a string, checked the brass everything looked good. Cleaned the barrel and he took the next shot. (Still has the smile on his face) Sorry no range pictures we were fighting rain and mosquitoes. Did take a picture before we left the house while the sun was still shining. Between us we only fired 20 rounds, cleaning the barrel every couple rounds. This one is a little long and heavy for him. The next one we build will be a 16" barrel and a lot lighter for him.

View attachment 57579
Oh, I love to see that expression on his face. Thanks for raising him right. Good thing you got that AR now, may need it to take down some of those bloodsucking mosquitoes I've been hearing about.

Bill

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I knew he would want to fire the rifle 1st and it would just kill me if something went wrong and he was harmed. I understand it was a minimal risk but I did not want to take it. We used a rest that secured the rifle to the bench and he pulled the trigger remotely with a string for the first shot. After inspecting the brass he then held the rifle and shot again. Just trying to be as safe as possible since this was our 1st build.
You did more than just protect your son from a possible accident. You taught him to be careful and cautious even when you think nothing is going to happen. Those kind of life lessons are not taught in school. Having the utmost respect for something like firearm safety is something you can read about, but showing your son is something that will stay with him forever. When I work up a load during a reload session, I am the one who shoots it first, not the wife, son-in-law, or friends. I take the responsibility to make sure it is safe first before anyone else gets to try it. You did good in your teaching, sir. Hats off to you!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Congratulations to you and your son on a job well done! He looks like the cat who ate the bird! Welcome to the Dark Side! ;) :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts