Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the Bushmaster, and the Palmetto Armory AR-15's out this morning for sight-in, trial, and just plain FUN.

These are my first AR's, and I know absolutely nothing about them. But I'm learning fast, and loving it

The Bushmaster is very light in weight (ultra light model, I think). Awesome weapon. Came with the red dot scope, and I was consistantly hitting a five gallon bucket at 180 yards with fairly rapid fire, from a standing position

The Palmetto Armory seems a little "gritty", for lack of a better term. Needs some breaking in. Also a good soaking in Hoppe's, scrubbing, and general cleaning. Got it sighted in good with the iron sights, but then it was time for the REAL FUN to begin.

I have the SSAR-15 stock on the Palmetto, so needless to say, "that's what I came here for", let's go nuts:shooter:

I guess the stock takes some getting used to, but it is a total blast to shoot.

Absolutely, the most fun that I have had with my clothes on.

The "grittiness" of the Palmetto Armory gun, may have had something to do with it, not sure. But, you have to learn how to use the stock for sure.
In the video, I am not doing 2 and 3 round bursts by choice. My intention was to empty the mag for the camera. I would like to learn to control the weapon better, and do short bursts at will, as well as emptying the mag.

I brought 1500 rounds of ammo, and let me tell you something: you can go through ammo like water. But I only shot about 850 rounds today.

Oh yeah: Of course, the police responded. People aren't quite used to hear what they presume to be automatic gunfire, but all was good

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/Rottiejake/?action=view&current=100_0298.mp4

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Cool video. So did the cops actually have a word with you? I'm just wondering what their reaction to a slide fire stock was. Also - how'd the steel cased ammo do?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Reactions: Rottiejake

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool video. So did the cops actually have a word with you? I'm just wondering what their reaction to a slide fire stock was. Also - how'd the steel cased ammo do?
Cops knocked on the guys door. We were down in the back. His wife sent the cop down. Just asked what we were doing, and we told him. My buddy is a deputy in this county, we were in the adjacent county. No problem at all. But I think if you shoot one of these things anywhere, people will call up on you.

Steel case ammo seemed to be fine. 500 rounds were hollow points, which acted-up more frequently. I think I would definitely stick to FMJ ammo.

My buddy gave me a very good instruction period on taking the guns apart, and cleaning. I am currently doing that.

They both need some more break-in, and I think a good cleaning will help.

I wish I would have gotten into these AR's sooner than now. But, better late than never:evil:I'm HOOKED

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
Now you are ready for the fast moving jumping variety of Zombies, AKA Zooming Zombies :)

Reactions: BW64

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Looked like a lot of fun to me!

·
Super Moderator
21,587 Posts
Yep they are a lot of fun. :)

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to get a quad-rail and forward grip, at least for the Palmetto at first. I think it would help tremendously with the SSAR-15 stock.

Actually, THAT might be the key to control.

money, money, money..............more, more, more

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
careful, Black Rifle Disease is a very real and dangerous thing!

Just yesterday I added up accessories bought for my AR and found that I had at least half of what it's worth in accessories on it. It's like a Bada$$ Barbie for men!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Been thinking about getting that stock too. Also want a suppressor. Yeah, black rifle disease can put you in the poor house. But it's fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jake,

Open up your stance a little bit. After you get more comfortable with the rifle try some moving/shooting drills. Do a LOT of dry fire exercises first. There are a ton of videos on YouTube.

I like doing shooting drills with my AK. It make me more proficient and a better shooter. Plus it's more realistic than just static practice.

Cool toy.

Edit: Don't forget to exercise trigger discipline, your finger should be on the trigger only when you are firing. You don't want to pull the trigger when you slip on the mud while you're moving to another position. Bad things can happen!!

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Definitely looks like you had a ball, i love that the police showed up. One day i'll have my AR and be part of the club. Lol

Reactions: BW64 and Rottiejake

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
careful, Black Rifle Disease is a very real and dangerous thing!

Just yesterday I added up accessories bought for my AR and found that I had at least half of what it's worth in accessories on it. It's like a Bada$$ Barbie for men!
Cha-ching.........cha-ching..........cha-ching !

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Looks like you were enjoying yourself.

Reactions: Rottiejake
1 - 20 of 31 Posts