Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are any number of AR-15 armorer's all-in-one wrench on the market, and as I approach the end of my first AR build (just waiting for the quad rail with nut to arrive on Monday!) I realize that I want to buy one. The Tapco product seems to be a good one ($43.21 on Amazon, $39.85 on eBay). I'm also looking for an M-4 cleaning tool for the bolt and firing pin ($39.95 Amazon and eBay). I already own a good torque wrench for installing the barrel nut.

Do y'all have any suggestions as to which tools are good and which ones to avoid? Any more tools I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I bought this style of wrench off ebay and it worked great: Tactical AR Combo Wrench Multi Tool for 223 Rifles All in One Combination | eBay

I also needed a upper receiver vice block to prevent damaging the upper receiver when you tighten the barrel nut, this is a mandatory tool. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15 I really like this company's gas tube alignment tool, it is not required but handy.

Some folks use this block to hold the receiver while assembling the innards, I did just fine without it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-M-A-R-Lo...353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5000e989

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
How many AR's do you plan to build? The build only takes a day or two after you get all your parts together. If you are doing only one rifle, ask the TA members to borrow....but with shipping costs both ways you may just want to buy your own....

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I forget which one I got it is green and was inexpensive, works just fine. Even if you are just building one I would buy one. They are handy for making changes to your AR later down the road.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Here's a multi-tool that I'd trust at a good price.

Aim Sports Ar15 M4 Multi Tool Wrench Gray PJTW4 | eBay

A known problem with the wrenches is the close tolerances and the QC of coating applications. I had one 'painted' too thickly - had to scrape down to metal to get it to properly fit. I've heard that complaint for multiple manufacturers dozens of times.

Use the torque wrench with it if you have one for the barrel nut - the finesse of the job is knowing / guessing if you should stop a little early OR if you can make it to the next hole to index the gas tube. I'm making it sound harder than it is. Use anti-seize on the threads!

Here's a good carbon cleaning tool. Botach is always free shipping AND they have an eBay branch. Just happens that the one selling from home base is 1/2 the price right now as the same one on eBay. Grab it - good tool - good price.

Kley-Zion CRT Bolt Carrier Assembly Carbon Removal Cleaning Tool - Botach

sounds like you'll be shooting soon!!! Woo-Hoo!!

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Here's a multi-tool that I'd trust at a good price.

Aim Sports Ar15 M4 Multi Tool Wrench Gray PJTW4 | eBay

A known problem with the wrenches is the close tolerances and the QC of coating applications. I had one 'painted' too thickly - had to scrape down to metal to get it to properly fit. I've heard that complaint for multiple manufacturers dozens of times.

Use the torque wrench with it if you have one for the barrel nut - the finesse of the job is knowing / guessing if you should stop a little early OR if you can make it to the next hole to index the gas tube. I'm making it sound harder than it is. Use anti-seize on the threads!

Here's a good carbon cleaning tool. Botach is always free shipping AND they have an eBay branch. Just happens that the one selling from home base is 1/2 the price right now as the same one on eBay. Grab it - good tool - good price.

Kley-Zion CRT Bolt Carrier Assembly Carbon Removal Cleaning Tool - Botach

sounds like you'll be shooting soon!!! Woo-Hoo!!
I chose to build a Piston AR and never had a need for such a tool. No carbon build up inside my AR.:)

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I had to go look, I bought this one: Tapco Intrafuse AR Armorer's Tool

Used it in my two AR's and 3 people I know have used it on theirs. Gets the job done.

Reactions: mingaa
1 - 12 of 12 Posts