Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April Shootout

Any weapon that use a projectile; handgun, rifle, bow or crossbow, blowgun, shotgun (with slug), slingshot, etc.
Target is a 24" X 36" map of the United States at 15 feet.
15 shots at target. Only 1 target may be used, no do-overs on a new trarget.
Scoring: 10 points for every anti-gun State hit, must hit all anti-gun States for 100 point bonus. (160 points max)
(California, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut - top 6 States on the Brady Chart)
Washington, D.C. is worth 50 points, Chicago 50 points, New York City 50 points.
(You will have to put a red circle where Chicago and NYC are located.)
Hitting the State Capitol of anti-gun States is a 25 point bonus.
Hitting a pro-gun State is a penalty of 20 points.
Mexico is worth 20 points. Cuba is worth 30 points.
Canada is a 5 point penalty. (they're our friends, eh?)

Target map pdf.

View attachment states_capitals.pdf

Print in poster format scale 250% (9 pages)

JPG.

states_capitals.jpg

Scroll down for more info.

APRIL FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm really sorry I didn't participate in March guys. Just too many things going on. You can bet I'll be in on this one!

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
I like it, April Fools or not.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I take it you haven't published the real April shootout? Do you have any ideas, maybe something new for the indoor range only crowd?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it you haven't published the real April shootout? Do you have any ideas, maybe something new for the indoor range only crowd?
Yeah, I posted the real one around Noon.
Haven't really thought about the indoor ranges. Got any suggestions I can add to the rules for this month?
I have never shot at an indoor range, so "I know nothing!" (Sgt. Schultz)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know if my range is typical or not. It's air conditioned with a few lanes (in my case, 9). You clip your target to the target holder, and set the range you want, and away it goes. Most ranges have a minimum maximum range of 45 feet, probably to accommodate the CHL shooting test.

The target holders fit a B-27 target okay, and you can have maybe two to three letter-sized sheets hanging off of it. Some might turn the target 90 degrees to have less wind resistance.

I hear some people set the target out to 45', then have it come back to 5' and shoot at the approaching target. This simulates shooting at a charging target. This practice is probably frowned upon by the range staff.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
For March 2012, I shot at an indoor range. I can set targets whenever I please without waiting for cease fires at outdoor ranges. All I did was tape my 5 targets on one of the full size targets and run it back on the cable system.

The indoor ranges around me have 15 yard and 25 yard distances. The closest indoor range by me puts the experienced shooters on the 15 yard range since it is only supervised by cameras. The 25 yard range at the same place has windows the staff can see directly into. That's where the people new to the range usually start out.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds bassackwards.
Newbies at 25 yards, experts at 15?
Hope it's bullet resistant glass.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
That sounds bassackwards. Newbies at 25 yards, experts at 15?
Being an indoor range, the shooter can select the yardage they want from close to far using the motorized target hanger. The other indoor range I go to that is a bit cheaper and three times as far away has 25 yard max distance for everyone with windows looking in on everyone.

Hope it's bullet resistant glass.
I haven't tested it to find out. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dang, I thought it was a good idea.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I got an early start this month with the April shoot out.
This will be my entry for non Taurus, 4" or less barrel. Unsupported.
This was shot at an indoor range at 10 yards with a Smith & Wesson 38 special, 2" snub nose. 158 gr. RN cast, reload.
I forgot all about the supported entry this time.
Hopefully I will get some more range time in for the Taurus entry.
Sorry about the gun being so dirty. It's next morning and I have not cleaned it since the shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got an early start this month with the April shoot out.
This will be my entry for non Taurus, 4" or less barrel. Unsupported.
This was shot at an indoor range at 10 yards with a Smith & Wesson 38 special, 2" snub nose. 158 gr. RN cast, reload.
I forgot all about the supported entry this time.
Hopefully I will get some more range time in for the Taurus entry.
Sorry about the gun being so dirty. It's next morning and I have not cleaned it since the shoot.
You might want to post it in the REAL thread, this is the April Fool thread.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts