Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some from their site to fit my M85UL. Anyone try this product? I'm hoping it'll work as well as pocket carry for me. It'll free up a pocket if it does and it looks like it might be ultimate concealment if it's fast enough.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have not used it , but it sounds like a good way to go. I have used my Belly band in that position and it is comfortable for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
35,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My belly is a little too big for a belly band. LOL. One fellow on THR told me it rides under the zipper and is fast and comfy even sitting down, another had less praise. So, I guess I'll see for myself. I think it'll be a good way to carry if it's as comfy for me as pocket carry. This guy claimed it was MORE comfy. We'll see. It'll free up a pocket if nothing else and I'm hoping the little SP101 will ride in it well, something it won't do in a pocket. I like the idea of a shootable full power .357 magnum as an everyday carry. When I go to the big city, I can carry the revolver as a back up, either my M85UL or the Ruger, and carry my P90 or P85 Ruger IWB as a primary and STILL have my pockets freed up. I kinda likd pocket carry, though, because I can walk along with my hand in my pocket in high risk areas and nobody knows I'm grasping the gun, but I'm just exploring the alternatives. One thing I do like about the belly band is the fact I can put my reloads in there. Speed loaders take up a lot of pocket space and are a pain to fish out amongst the keys and change. Belt pouches aren't that desirable, bulge under a shirt. Even auto magazines will hide better there. I'll be able to use the thing for something even if I don't like the gun in it, money belt or something. Put my mp3 player in there or something, LOL. It's a little high dollar for a money belt, though. I'm thinkin' at the LEAST, my .380 will be okay in it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Never thought about the speedloaders or money idea. I have been thinking about buying a money belt for trips to Jamaica Its nice to have American Money hid incase you need it. Nobody will give you American after you leave the Airport until you return to go home. I hate to walk around with too much American cash on me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a set, but, we really didn't like it. Maybe we weren't wearing it right, but, it just wasn't very comfortable, and, it seemed to shift a lot.

Then again, I've some friends that SWEAR by it... To each his own, I spose.

If you're ANYWHERE near as picky as me, you may as well clear out a drawer in your dresser, for holsters :p

I've been thru far, far, too many....

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 Smart Carry holster. I wear this rig every day with my pt-140. Very comfortable, and best of all, my pants don't fall down from the weight of the gun because Smart Carry has it's own belt.

I really think it depends on your body build though....some people don't like the Smart Carry. I'm 5'10" and 235 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
35,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, well, I'm 6 ft and 210, so maybe I'm okay. ;D I have a belly bulge, but when I suck in my gut, it goes flat and leaves room betwixed belt and skin, so I'm thinking for a quick draw, suck in the gut, grab the gun. Just hope my pants don't fall down during the fight. ::)

·
Super Moderator
35,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it today. I must say, I think it's overpriced. It's just a ballistic nylon and velcro pouch. I've bought money pouches of a different shape for less than 10 bucks. But, then, they weren't designed for carrying a gun. It has a large pouch behind the holster I can use for cash on trips and such, pretty nice. I put the empty SP101 in it and practiced a bit. I have a Hogue on the gun, a little longer than stock, but seems to hide well, plenty of room. I can sit down, even bend over and tie my shoes and it doesn't bother my gut, but then my gut just sorta sticks out a little, not like it lops over anywhere. LOL As I had hoped, I can suck in the gut and the draw is fairly quick, though it takes both hands to be quick. I've had it on about 4 hours now and I must say I prefer it to IWB, though I'm not really that used to it, yet.

The only sign of the gun in there is a little bulge near the belt from the grip. My boot gripped Taurus would bulge less and the Kel Tec P11 disappears. With my shirt tail out, though, any bulges are masked, but even with the shirt tail in, you wouldn't notice it.

The one thing that everyone says and is true, if you're sitting, you need to loosen the belt to get at it or just straighten up in the chair/seat and you can get at it, but it's a lot slower than standing regardless. Standing, the draw is quick. So, when I carry with it on a trip in the car, I can wear back up on an ankle. Frankly, pocket carry is slow while seated and even IWB isn't that fast and you sort of sit on the gun, so you need to lean forward. The one thing ankle carry can do is draw quick from a seated position like in a car. I have an Uncle Mikes ankle holster for small autos and one for J frames, so I can pick my poison there. I hardly ever wear on the ankle, but seems like a good idea when in the car.

The thunder wear sure isn't the preferred method if you drive a lot, but I rarely drive. I'm usually on a bike around here. However, I can get at it if I loosen my belt. My pants are 2" oversize. I wear 36 ideally and buy 38s for IWB and such. So, there's room to draw from it with my belt loose. I can just unhook the belt in the car and tighten it up when I get there, will work, too.

So, I think I'm going to like the system for daily carry, but I'll qualify that by saying I haven't worn it all day, yet. IWB doesn't get to irritation until the last few hours of the day when you can't wait to get it off, LOL. Probably wouldn't be as bad with less belly roll, but it gets old. Can't carry the .357 in a pocket, too heavy and the grip it takes to shoot it well is a little big. So, this thunderwear thing looks like the way to go with the SP101 and I really like carrying the caliber. I'm with .357 the way some are about .45, just makes me feel like I have enough gun. Yeah, the 2.3" barrel ain't what a 4" is, but it's still putting up 1340 fps with a 140 grain bullet, a good bit better'n my .38 loads.

·
Super Moderator
35,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wore the SP101 in it yesterday all day long. It was comfortable enough, but I was glad to take it off. Then a guy on THR suggested he carries his slightly off center with the grip of his sig under the zipper. So, I tried that and it's a lot more comfy that way and easier to go take a whiz to boot, LOL. Today, I got up and stuck my lighter M85UL in it with speedloader and strip in the off side pocket and I'm going to carry it all day to compare. But, really, the weight of the gun seems to have little effect on comfort to a point anyway. I wouldn't want a 40 ounce gun in there, but between the 27 ounces of the Ruger and the 17 ounces of the Taurus, ain't a lot of difference. The Taurus' grip is shorter, helps a little, but I don't mind the more powerful gun, fits fine. That's sorta what I was looking for.

I'm going to carry the Taurus today and switch back to the Ruger tomorrow. I'm still experimenting with it, but it was a good purchase I think. Some of my holster purchases were wastes of money, LOL, but everyone does that I reckon. Most anyone that carries has a box full of holsters they didn't like. Mine are mostly cheap ones, fortunately. The thunderwear looks like a keeper, though, and I love the fact that it frees up a pocket, but main thing is it allows for a gun that is slightly too large/heavy for pocket carry. That's exactly why I thought it might be desirable.

I think I'd hesitate to carry a Glock in this thing. The material is soft and I don't like that "safe action" pointin' at the boys, ya know. Nope, no "safe action" need apply for this one IMHO. Some folks have talked about carrying a G26 or 27 in it, but that gives me the shivers. DA is the way I carry anyway. I wouldn't want a 1911 something in there, officers or something, either. Too easy for the safety to get swiped off. Guess I could carry it condition two, but no thanks. I like DA/DAO guns and my revolvers. I was really lookin' to step up to .357 magnum for daily carry and I think I hit the jackpot. I can carry IWB, but don't like to while I'm working in the shop. It gets in the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts