Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I usually buy Remington UMC JHP ammo (50 or 100 round boxes) for use as range ammo and backup self-defense ammo.

It is dependable and economically priced.

Reactions: RichO and gbusmech

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
The Remington UMC is very good ammo, just like the Winchester White box, it shoots a little dirtier than more premium ammo, but that really isn't a biggie when you are cleaning a gun anyway. The ballistics are the very same as the Green and Yellow and really pricey Remington Express ammo.

I do buy the UMC 100 count value boxes and mostly in JHP in .380, .38 special, 357 Mag and .45 acp. I don't buy the Yellow Box 250 count fmj as I like bullets in the cardboard separating jackets or racks as opposed to being loose, but that is just me.

I've never seen the FMJ 250 count bulk as being that good of a value, as the Federal Champion FMJ rounds are generally better priced in even boxes of 50 whenever Walmart has them, and I think the Federal burns a little cleaner.

Nearly anywhere you find the 100 round value-packs of Rem UMC jhp, then the value grows. In my .380 pocketgun, the round offers the best of both world's. 1. For a hollowpoint, it has a small cavity and the bullet is most like a round nose (fmj) in shape and is less problematic for feeding in a pocket gun than a wide mouth hollowpoint.
2. It's hard to get a good balance in .380 between expansion and adequate penetration. The small cavity hollow point will give some expansion and better overall penetration.

I doubt it really matters that much out of a .357 magnum as the ft lbs of energy involved are gonna turn some one inside out anyhow and a .45 is never smaller than .45 hundredths of an inch!

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
They work fine for me. Of course, my PT100 AFS will spit out anything I put in her.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I usually buy Remington UMC JHP ammo (50 or 100 round boxes) for use as range ammo and backup self-defense ammo.

It is dependable and economically priced.

Yup, Me too.....

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have bought them in 45ACP and will probably buy some in 357. I have never had any problems with Reminton ammo although it is usually slightly higher then Winchester and Federal.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Have shot about 100 rounds or so of the Remington UMC yellow box, in my 809C.. Had a couple FTF, but with second strike it went on it's way just fine..Not enough to deter me from using it, as my gun was brand new (still in the break-in period), I actually have 250 rounds of it in my box waiting for me. To me it's just range ammo anyway, as I use Hornady Critical Defense when I carry.. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I just bough a quantity of these in .40 and .45 from Natchez Shooters Supply. The boxes of 250 were on sale at a reasonable price. I have fired them before and the nickel case are very smooth and feed and function flawlessly.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with these rounds. Nickel-plated rounds have been around for many years and work just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts