Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i haven't posted in awhile but was wondering how many have used your carbines for deer and hog hunting? I had one awhile ago but sadly, i had to sell it. However, I'm currently looking into getting another one abductions use it to hunt hogs abductions deer something i never got to do with my previous one. Anyhow i would love to hear from you guys who hunt with their 92 rifles and please feel free to post pics if you got em.....thanks and i hope to hear from ya'll soon.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I've not hunted with mine but hope to next season for deer anyay. My '92 is a .357. With correct load should do well

Reactions: Fortenbras

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've not hunted with mine but hope to next season for deer anyay. My '92 is a .357. With correct load should do well
Same here, I have not but am hoping to do so soon. I may try small game first, coyotes maybe.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I haven't hunted with my Rossi 92 but then it isn't the carbine version either with the octagon 20" barrel. However Ranch Dog does hunt pigs and deer with his often. He runs a board called the Rossi Rifleman and is in the process of shutting down Ranch Dog Outdoors. I've seen him on here a few times but not lately.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Still around Joe and shooting the heck out of my Taurus handguns! Just sealed the deal on another PT745 that I will pickle in my safe in that Taurus decided to drop it. Love that pistol! Anyway, I wander...

To answer your question destroyer, I decided to spend most of the year hunting with my 92s and took a bunch of hogs and two whitetail deer. I killed a total of 68 hogs last year, 53 with the R92s. The others where killed with Circuit Judges (2) and a mix of my PT138Pro and PT111Pro (11). I own all the 92s, 357 Mag through the 480 Ruger except the 44-40 Win, they are the 20" round barrel rifles and they are all scoped scout rifles. The bullets used in all the kills including the CJs and Millennium Pros were home cast bullets of my designs.

I hope you guys don't mind a mix of a few pictures and it they are not meant as a "brag" just a thumbs up to a great series of rifle.

R92 480 Ruger

R92 357 Mag

R92 357 Mag

R92 44 Mag

R92 45 Colt

R92 454 Casull

R92 480 Ruger

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
Great pictures, and nice shooting! Wow 68 hogs, last year, that sounds like a blast to me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
good to know that the .357 carbine is so efficient as a hunting rifle...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
good to know that the .357 carbine is so efficient as a hunting rifle...
With the 357 Mag, I'm using a 175-grain bullet with a large meplat and that makes quite a difference. The hole in the hog above is the entry hole!

Great pictures, and nice shooting! Wow 68 hogs, last year, that sounds like a blast to me.
Yes, it is a blast!

·
Registered
246 Posts
With the 357 Mag, I'm using a 175-grain bullet with a large meplat and that makes quite a difference. The hole in the hog above is the entry hole!

Yes, it is a blast!
wow that is a big-ass bullet for .357, are you loading those yourself or do you buy them somewhere?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
wow that is a big-ass bullet for .357, are you loading those yourself or do you buy them somewhere?
I designed the bullet and cast my own but bullets are available through Carolina Cast as a component. Have the them sized to . 357" for the R92

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'll be heading to Texas the 28th of March to be doing some hog hunting down around the Buffalo Gap area. I have the R92 in the .454 casull. After seeing Ranch Dog's with a scope, I might have to give that a try.

·
Registered
339 Posts
my wife shot her first deer this year, a spike buck, with my m92 44-40. using my hand load of a 200gr XTP with enough 2400 powder to avg. 1812fps. i was hoping to gather some terminal performance data for the load, but with a head shot there wasn't much left to see. anyway, she has claimed that rifle so i'm on the lookout for another in .454

·
Super Moderator
35,798 Posts
I've taken a doe and a couple of sub 200 lb hogs with mine as well as squirrel and a few rabbits. I have a click adjustable ghost ring sight on mine and can quickly adjust elevation for a light .38 handload or a heavy .357 magnum handload. I can go from .22 to nearly .30-30 with an ammo and sight elevation change. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts