Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a single stage bench press and was wondering if anyone uses this neat little press for reloading. I usually do 100-150 rounds at a time and was curious if anyone had experience with it.

I've heard that not every round comes out the same if pressing by hand but if that's not true I'd like to know.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yep, I have one, works just as well as a bench mounted Press I keep it in a shoe box along with the die sets I use most.
I use it along with the LEE Dippers with powders I am already familiar with the charge weights of when using dippers.
If I need to do a small run of ammo I'll just use the hand press to run the rounds, 9mm is kind of difficult to size with it, but like I said it's usually a small run, 100 rounds or less.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have used one for years. Usually for case sizing, some forming, bell case mouths, seldom to load rounds. On some jobs I spent hours watching equipment.
I could prep cases while waiting. Lee hand priming tool is also handy. Straight wall cases like 44 mag. and larger are easier to size even with carbide dies if you use a little sizing wax or lube.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have been using the same Lee Hand Press for about 12 years now. Does everything a stationary press does. I even re-form 30-06 brass, for my 8mm Mauser, with it.

"not every round comes out the same"...... ???? That's absolute nonsense - obviously spoken by someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know and I appreciate some experience brought into this thread. I live in a condo and my basement is getting awfully full so I was thinking of selling it and using a hand press for as I never do more than 100 rounds at a time..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just used a Lee hand press to decap about 1500 9mm cases with crimped primers so I could process the primer pockets before reloading them. Works great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The hand press was and now again my main press due to space. I have been using it since 1987 with excelent results. I have loaded 45/70, 30-06, 8mm MUSER, 7.65 Argentine Mauser, 3030, 7 mm Mag,32 WCF, 223, 45 ACP, 41 Mag, 357 and 38 Special on it. Case forming for the two Mauser cartriges was done easily. Only complaint is its slow.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts