Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually things that are too good to be true are just that, I was wondering if anyone has tried these nitesiters and how they preformed. I'm thinking of giving them a go and for 9.95 I could survive the loss if they don't preform.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Hey for less than $20, you can get the flashlight that does activation fast, and you got the best of all worlds. I think I read earlier where some had tried them. The results were mixed, but you cannot satisfy everyone.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I ordered some a few months ago and like them fine When I changed to 3 dot sites on my pt145 I had some extra "dots" ,and put um on the new sites,there worth it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks James for the info

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
They are flourescent dots which do not glow but are quite useful in daylight---hence DaySiters.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i asked on a different board about different color sights and was told that only the green are able to glow for long periods of time.. he made specific mention that red for example only glows for about 90seconds.. so this is why the glow in the dark stuff he sells is green only.

the day glows from my understanding are just brightly colored, but i might have that wrong.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
No messy paints or radioactive vials. They're exactly
like Nitesiters, but for daytime use with super bright
fluorescent colors. The same strong adhesive, the same
durable material. These do not glow in the dark, but
were created to give gun owners a reliable method
to really brighten up their gun sights.

1. Eight Super Bright Fluorescent Dots. (1/16")
2. Available in Red, Orange, Yellow & Green

Above is from the NiteSiters website. They do not react to light of any kind. They are just extremely flourescent in color. Kind of like the colored insert on some revolvers front sight blades---except brighter in color.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did email Dave but did not receive a discount, thats alright though, $11.96 with tax and shipping is fine with me.

He says they could last indefinitely, as far as still glowing but the problem with them is the adhesive. He did say though that if your sites had recessed holes, (like the Heine Straight 8 that comes stock on our PT1911s :) ), that they could last for years.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think Ill try to talk by buddy in to ordering them for his revolver and Ill snag a couple dots from him ;D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heya folks!

DSB >> Write me an email again with your email address you used to place your order and i'll get that to you. I thought i'd gotten them all as I received them. Sorry about that.

So there are two different kinds of things on my page and it looks like there is some confusion.

Nitesiters glow. They need to be charged with a light source.

Daysiters do not glow. They are bright fluorescent daytime visible dots that use the same material and industrial strength adhesive as on the Nitesiters.

Thanks!
Dave Presley
Nitesiters

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave saw that I didn't receive a discount, he PM'd me and is giving me the 10% refund. There should be more businesses run like Nitesiters!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I got my dots yesterday and installed them soon after. The kit came with 8 dots, a knife blade, toothpick (for positioning the dots and evicting that pesky chunk of beef from lunch) and an alcohol prep pad w/ a Q-tip for cleaning. They were pretty easy to install. It took maybe 10 minutes including cleaning the sights.

I used the UV pen light to charge the dots for about 5 minutes. They are pretty bright. Especially just after charging. I haven't timed how long they stay charged. But they are quite dim after 20 or 30 minutes. That should be long enough to be effective if having to respond to a very low light situation. Even if you can only charge them for several seconds before having to use them, they are very bright for several minutes afterward.

I would recommend getting the UV light. It is much more efficient at charging the dots. It also has the added benefit of not destroying your night vision like turning on a lamp or shining a flashlight would. The downside of the penlight is that it is not made for rugged use. The metal casing is really thin. Probably the same thickness as a soda can. But more than adequate for leaving on the nightstand.

I will try to take some pics of the sights tonight.

ETA: I forgot to mention shipping. I ordered the dots on April 6 and got them on April 10 via US mail. That's from Arizona to Kentucky. Very pleased. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
/bow

Doc, Let me know what kind of glow times you can get. The little UV penlight is for just that, the quick charges to get them bright for 30 minutes or so. Any other source of light should be used to charge them for the longer times. (5 to 15 minutes) My True UV light (the black one) is much more rugged and durable. I just wanted to stick something on there that was just for the quick charges...bedside, car, keychain or whatever.

Keep in mind that some LED lights, although insanely bright, do not emit a whole lot of UV which is what Nitesiters used to charge. I've sometimes found that my table lamp charges mine better than my 86 lumen 3 watt taclight. Strange, but true. /shrug The glow that remains after that initial 30 minutes to an hour and a half IS there.... it's just dimmer. A persons eyes really should be adjusted to the dark to be able to see them visibly. I charge mine with my bedside table lamp for about 10 minutes before i go to bed around 9:30pmish.... and they are still easily visible at 5:30ish when I wake up. Over 8 hours easily. Noticeably dimmer, but being that my eyes are accustom to the dark at that point I can make them out VERY easily. Play with them and see what they can do for you and what their limitations are.

I wish it were as simple as a blanket statement as to how long they glow for people but there are so many variables that affect them. How long they were charged. What were they charged with. Did it have a high UV output. How healthy are a persons eyes. How quickly do their eyes adjust to the dark. How well do they see in the dark. What kind of outside light sources are there (competing light sources). I've had people say they couldn't see them after 2 minutes. I cheerfully refunded their money. I've also had more than a few say they see them easily enough after 18 hours. (they live in Alaska where its dark a lot of the winter so they might have eyes that are VERY well night adjusted)

All in all, I just want people to be happy with their purchase. :) If not... I make it right.

Dave Presley
Nitesiters

1 - 20 of 28 Posts