Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
This sounds very fishy. A few cases get reported to the FDA, and they release a report and name names. Is there any mandatory reporting? How many dogs die and no report is ever made? This sounds like a minute sample that was published as if it is definitive.

How much did someone get paid to release these results and scare people away from brands? Look for the brand that isn't there, and follow the money.

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
A few years back, many of the major companies were having dogs die with no determined reason why. Come to find out they were getting their food manufactured in China and the Chinese were adding Melamine to boost the protein percentage. Melamine is deadly to dogs. That's right when companies like Call of the wild and Blue buffalo started to take off because they weren't using chinese based foods.

Reactions: nevadabob

·
17,575 Posts
No real answers yet. You could:

1. Ask your vet.
2. Screen your dog for DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy).

As far as diet goes, I can't find any research advocating a diet change for dogs without DCM.

For those unfamiliar with this issue: There's been a statistically significant increase in cases of DCM in dogs not genetically disposed to developing it. There's a correlation between the increase and the use of all these fancy-pants dog foods which are termed "BEG" diets (Boutique, Exotic, Grain Free) but they really haven't figured out what's going on yet. The numbers they are working with are very small. It's a work in progress.

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/full/10.2460/javma.253.11.1390

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
Yep...:dry:...they had me right up to the word "may".

·
17,575 Posts
This sounds very fishy. A few cases get reported to the FDA, and they release a report and name names. Is there any mandatory reporting? How many dogs die and no report is ever made? This sounds like a minute sample that was published as if it is definitive.

How much did someone get paid to release these results and scare people away from brands? Look for the brand that isn't there, and follow the money.

From what I've read the FDA has been crystal clear not to jump to any conclusions, and the problems with their data.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Can't get my dogs to eat the expensive stuff...they like the pedigree pouches and Ol' Roy pouches best. Everything else gets left untouched or possibly pushed around the bowl again.

·
17,575 Posts
Can't get my dogs to eat the expensive stuff...they like the pedigree pouches and Ol' Roy pouches best. Everything else gets left untouched or possibly pushed around the bowl again.
You're clear, the DCM issue is all with dry food.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
When we jump into our wayback machine, we find canines are scavengers and carnivores. They eat meat and bones, raw bones, not cooked bones.
If you try and make your canine a vegan, or you just want them to eat healthy (imposing yourself on them) by giving them food made of peas and carrots, you may be asking for trouble.

Give them a good quality food without a bunch of fillers. If you don't know if it has fillers, look at his waste, there will be big piles of it. Good food doesn't create a lot of waste.
As a dog ages, cut down on the protein percentages in the food.
Oh yeah, there's a very good chance you're overfeeding your dog, as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Our dogs died years ago, one small at 16 years in 2006 and one large breed at 10 years in 2013 so this is dated anecdotal info. They ate Ol' Roy by the big bags full their whole lives. They ate it and were active dogs. Dog food hasn't changed much since then I bet. I just don't worry about this stuff too much.

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
We don't use "dog food" anymore. Our dog gets a hamburger and oatmeal mix twice per day. At supper, he also gets a li'l pumpkin pie filling for a stool softener and some green pepper chunks. He also loves the green peppers as treats.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Food manufacturers have already proven time and time again they don't care much for humans (surely there are complex cost/profit margin with law suits algorithms being run) so for dogs I figure it's a hundred times worse if not more. Much better to make your own dog food if you don't mind doing it every few days. There's a million recipes online that can be made for far less money than most of the stuff that pretends to be healthy at the store. https://www.aforkstale.com/easy-homemade-crockpot-dog-food/

As for the companies out there, of all the research I did years ago (and I shudder to remember), one of the few companies that I trust are these folks. https://www.grandmalucys.com/ Their food comes freeze dried, just scoop out what you think you need, add warm water and walla, instant dog food. I try to keep a 10 lb bag on the shelf at all times as it would be a perfect MRE style food if the poop should ever really hit the fan.

·
21,940 Posts
A few years ago, we lost a Golden Retriever completely out of the blue. We thought he was in perfect health, and he was running around one minute and laid down for the last time the next minute. Part of the way I coped was to carefully study dog food quality. We were feeding our dogs Purina ONE. After my study, we stopped. In simple terms, the conclusion I came to was the first three ingredients should be animal proteins; fish, chicken meal, beef, etc. And you don't want corn anywhere in the list, but especially in the top five. Manufacturers like corn because it's cheap, but the canine metabolism can't get much good out of it. Having said that, there are plenty of dogs that seem to do pretty well on it, but it just doesn't make much sense scientifically. Either those are superdogs who'd live even longer, healthier lives on better food, or the science isn't quite right. Hard to be sure.

We tried a couple of foods; Blue Buffalo, Merrick, maybe one other I'm forgetting, before finding the 4 Health brand at Tractor Supply. The ingredients are great, it smells good, and the cost is more reasonable than any other brand with comparable quality. I'm ambivalent about grain free. When the first three ingredients are meat based, the ones further down the line don't matter as much.

I think the FDA wanted to show they were doing something - after all, this is why the constitution created an FDA - so they did a quick study and published it. Probably too quick to really teach us anything. And while they did include proper "this is preliminary, don't jump to conclusions" language, the press is the press. So the press makes a big deal about it.

We're not changing anything.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are great! I appreciate all the comments!

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Our dogs died years ago, one small at 16 years in 2006 and one large breed at 10 years in 2013 so this is dated anecdotal info. They ate Ol' Roy by the big bags full their whole lives. They ate it and were active dogs. Dog food hasn't changed much since then I bet. I just don't worry about this stuff too much.
I carry a coffee container full of Ol' Roy on my golf cart to feed the fish in the lake at the club. Large chunks, and even the resident turtle swims over for a few. I go through about three cans a week.

From looking at the list of brand names, I've got a feeling that the study was funded by Purina.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I haven't eaten dog food since I was 8 so no.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jspdrcrmach5....was that part of the public school lunch program?

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Well, we lost a chihuahua to DCM in 2015. Actually, mitral valve insufficiency - you could hear the “honk” with every heartbeat which was the blood flowing backwards from the left ventricle back into the left atrium. Chihuahua isn’t listed as a particular breed susceptible and the brand of DF we use isn’t in the “dangerous list”. He didn’t die of dog food - he died due to too many table scraps! He was 8lbs overweight to where his belly scraped the ground when he walked. The high doses of lasix, while helping the heart failure, had him peeing all over the house. He developed seizures and fortunately died a few months after diagnosis and he was 14yo.

We’re on our second chihuahua now and he’s starting to get a tad on the heavy side.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Purely anecdotal, but we have fed our woofers either Hills or Purina sincwe the year one. BUT, they always got distilled water as a regular drink, very seldom did they ever get anything with chlorine or flourine in it. OK, once Ozzie did drink an ounce of my lemonade, but in his defence, it was hot outside.

Yorkshire Terriers, all. Max lived to over seventeen by two months, Jack just a month shy of seventeen, and I had to part with Ozzie this spring at nearly seventeen. Only Jack was a show-dog, his parentage for several generations were Best in Show and Champions, all. He is the one with the kidney issue that made distilled water an issue. Currently, the household has two "rescues" owning us. Jackie", a 6-pound, twelve-year-old Yorkie and "Sandie", a ten-year-old Silky terrier, 12-13 lbs.

How did I ever live without dogs? Who knows? I can remember only when I was in the Air Force that I had no dogs.I've had dogs for more years than I have had Mrs Flash - Is that a compliment to them or a comment on her?

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
Depending on the type of breed of your dog, the diet requirements change drastically. Dogs are opportunistic omnivores. this means they they primarily eat meat, but if meat is not available, they will eat other things. The best diet you can feed a dog is called the barf diet. Barf stands for "Bones And Raw Feed". that is supplemented with veggies they'll eat as kibble. you also cannot just change what you feed them overnight. each diet change has to be gradual.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts