Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of reloading for the 40 S&W, but I'm concerned about leading. Thinking of using laser cast 155 gr. bullets, 6.5 Unique.
Any input appreciated.

Administrator
I don't load for .40, but it has been my experience that once you go above 1000 fps in velocity, leading will increase. :thumb:

Registered
your recipe is exactly what i have used for over a year now. i haven't noticed any lead fouling. i also use a mag of plated bullets to finish the session so as to clean out the tube. use them and don't worry. btw - 2 weekends ago i shot about 400 rounds of that recipe in about 5 hours.

Registered
I have tried several combinations of lead bullets in the .40 S&W and have had sub-par accuracy results. Typically the load consists of small charges of the faster powders like Bullseye, W231, AA#2, or HP38. Have also tried moderate charge of AA#5 and Unique. The bullets are hard cast 180 gr truncated cone or 175 gr SWC. The loads function fine for blasting but I can't seem to get accuracy comparable to jacketed bullets out of my Ruger P94 or S&W 610. In my experience the economy you get from lead bullets really isn't worth it in .40 caliber, or in 9mm for that matter. Now if you're talking lead bullets in .45 ACP, .45 Colt, or .44 Magnum, that's another story...

Registered
Well, for what it's worth: I have used many lead reloads for .40.
Using the Winchester w231 powder, I have gotten pretty decent results.
I purchased the lead bullets from Dillon.

It's been quite a while since I have used them. But, I believe they were
180 grains in weight. I never approached the maximum powder load, nor will I
ever do so. I don't believe in beating up the guns.

But, those lead bullets did shoot pretty nicely. Oh yeah, one thing more:
whenever I shot lead bullets, after shooting the lead, I always put several
jacketed rounds through the gun. Then, I took the firearms home, & gave
them a good cleaning.

Never had any problems with leading!

Registered
For lead I use Laser Cast 155gr RNSWC. They are pretty accurate and no problems feeding. You will like them ! The Laser Cast is a hard lead so I have never had a leading problem.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts