Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am going te reload some of the Speer 230 gr Gold Dot HP SB (short barrel) bullets. Anyone reload and shoot them? If so, how'd they perform? I am planning on using them for my SD mags for my PT145 Pro.
Thanks!

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
OK, I am not sure but i don't think there is a difference in a regular 230 grain Gold dot and a "short barreld projectile??
the difference is in the burn rate and flash suppresion powder i believe?
so to answer your question, as mentioned above find a fast burn rate powder that has the addition of a flash suppressant in it.
you might look at Clays , i think it is one that meets the criteria, although i don't personally use that powder.
Speer shows the 230 grain Gold Dot with Blue Dot starting load of 8.1 grains for 796 FPS, and a max load of 9.0 for 893 FPS as the best powder they tested, OAL is 1.200
Bullseye is a starting load of 4.5 for 742 FPS, and a max of 5.0 for 812 FPS.
this is from a 4.25 inch barrel.
I personally use a 200 grain Gold Dot/ Golden sabre/ XTP with Unique at starting 6.5 grains for 860 and a max load of 7.3 for 984 FPS at a OAL of 1.200, again tested throguh a 4.25 barrel.
I actually use a Unique load of 7.0 grains for about 950-970 FPS out of my 5 inch 1911's.
as always load these at your own risk as i assume no responsibilty for these loads.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actualy, Speer manufactures the regular 230 gr Gold Dot HP and the 230 gr Gold Dot HP SB. Below is the link to the SB. I picked some up and the hollow point cavity is down right scary looking. Who knows, it could all be marketing hoop-la :)

Speer Bullets - Gold Dot Personal Protection Short Barrel

OK, I am not sure but i don't think there is a difference in a regular 230 grain Gold dot and a "short barreld projectile??
the difference is in the burn rate and flash suppresion powder i believe?
so to answer your question, as mentioned above find a fast burn rate powder that has the addition of a flash suppressant in it.
you might look at Clays , i think it is one that meets the criteria, although i don't personally use that powder.
Speer shows the 230 grain Gold Dot with Blue Dot starting load of 8.1 grains for 796 FPS, and a max load of 9.0 for 893 FPS as the best powder they tested, OAL is 1.200
Bullseye is a starting load of 4.5 for 742 FPS, and a max of 5.0 for 812 FPS.
this is from a 4.25 inch barrel.
I personally use a 200 grain Gold Dot/ Golden sabre/ XTP with Unique at starting 6.5 grains for 860 and a max load of 7.3 for 984 FPS at a OAL of 1.200, again tested throguh a 4.25 barrel.
I actually use a Unique load of 7.0 grains for about 950-970 FPS out of my 5 inch 1911's.
as always load these at your own risk as i assume no responsibilty for these loads.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Actualy, Speer manufactures the regular 230 gr Gold Dot HP and the 230 gr Gold Dot HP SB. Below is the link to the SB. I picked some up and the hollow point cavity is down right scary looking. Who knows, it could all be marketing hoop-la :)
Well in that case if the length of the projectile is the same as the standard gold dot 230 then loading data should be the same,(same weight, same density, same length) if not can't help you with it.
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I don't load my SD ammo as I prefer to buy ready made, however I agree with the others use a fast burning powder to get the most out of them. I do use Short barrel +P versions of Speer Gold Dots in my 9mm and 45 acp though.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I carry the 200 gr. Speer Gold Dot +P's in my PT145, and they perform very well. I get a shade over 900 fps from the 3.27" barrel, and they do well in the denim/water jug test. I like the somewhat lighter 200 grain bullet (which was what John Browning originally had in mind for the 1911) because of the increased muzzle velocity. From what I've read you need between 700 and 800 fps for reliable expansion, and standard velocity 230 grain loads were only tipping my chronometer at an average of 730 fps. Little too close to the line for my tastes, so I go with the lighter bullets. I also found that +P very nearly replicates standard velocity performance from a 5" barrel in the PT145, so I go with the +P's. 230 gr Ranger T +P's were averaging 830 fps from the 145. Anyway, here's what's left of a 200 grain gold dot after it went through four layers of denim and four water jugs. It actually poked a hole in the fifth jug, but fell back into the fourth.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the quote "a picture says a thousand words" is appropriate here :)

I carry the 200 gr. Speer Gold Dot +P's in my PT145, and they perform very well. I get a shade over 900 fps from the 3.27" barrel, and they do well in the denim/water jug test. I like the somewhat lighter 200 grain bullet (which was what John Browning originally had in mind for the 1911) because of the increased muzzle velocity. From what I've read you need between 700 and 800 fps for reliable expansion, and standard velocity 230 grain loads were only tipping my chronometer at an average of 730 fps. Little too close to the line for my tastes, so I go with the lighter bullets. I also found that +P very nearly replicates standard velocity performance from a 5" barrel in the PT145, so I go with the +P's. 230 gr Ranger T +P's were averaging 830 fps from the 145. Anyway, here's what's left of a 200 grain gold dot after it went through four layers of denim and four water jugs. It actually poked a hole in the fifth jug, but fell back into the fourth.

Reactions: dbeardslee
1 - 8 of 8 Posts