Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Academy has them on sale. Not the DB9FS, but the small DB9. Talk me out of buying one.;)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I decided to buy one because i wanted a small subcompact single stack 9mm. I had read about them and found there were those that got good ones and those that got bad ones.... After handling one i decided to take my chances as I like the way it felt. I will say that the recoil is snappy but manageable. I put around 200 rounds of 3 differing types of ammo through it. I did not get through one magazine without a jam. I bought an extra mag and tried again. I got 2 rounds out when the trigger broke. It has now been in Diamond back`s repair facility around 3 weeks. My hope is they return a very functional db9. I really want to like this gun as i think it can be a great carry piece.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I own 2 DB9's. Both are excellent shooters with manageable recoil, although as per the instructions, I don't shoot +P. I carry a Remington hollow point in which I feel perfectly comfortable.

The only problems I have ever had with mine are jams on the first magazine-full of a new shooting session, because I forget how lightweight they are and don't hold them tightly. They are very prone to limp-wristing, so you have to consciously hold them tight. If I do that with both of mine, they are almost 100% reliable.

I highly recommend them. However, honestly, I have carried DB380's more often than the DB9's. They are just enough smaller that the DB380's are comfortable in front-pocket carry, where the DB9's are marginal for that. I have 3 DB380's and they are very reliable as well--with the caveat that my old two-pin DB380 does NOT like hollow point ammo at all. But it's a great shooter with FMJ ammo. The other two later-production DB380's with 3 pins are fine with JHP's.

I have always felt that .380ACP was a bit anemic for self defense, but since I found the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrators, which use a solid copper bullet, I feel perfectly comfortable carrying the DB380's again.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
A friend of mine bought one about a year ago. I liked the look and feel of the pistol. I shot it as much as he did 3 times. It would malfunction at least once per magazine, but frequently 2-3 times. We fired around 100 rounds of ammunition each time, 2 different kinds each time for a total of 6 brands. It didn't function with any of them. Double feeds were its favorite failure but it malfunctioned in just about every way it could during our shooting. It never got any better. He sold the gun to some poor SOB soon after our third time shooting it. It was the worst pistol I have ever shot. No offense to any owners out there, yours may be great, but this one was a POS, and ive heard tale of many other DB9 owners that have had similar issues.

If you want a micro compact 9, look into the Kel Tec PF9. I know there are plenty of them that have had issues but mine's been great. My brother in law and my best friend each bought one after me. Both of there's had issues but new extractor springs fixed both of those.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only problems I have ever had with mine are jams on the first magazine-full of a new shooting session, because I forget how lightweight they are and don't hold them tightly. They are very prone to limp-wristing, so you have to consciously hold them tight. If I do that with both of mine, they are almost 100% reliable.
Yes, other people have said that. Even Hickok45, in his Youtube video on the DB9, had a malfunction shooting it one-handed. A close-range defensive pistol should be operable with one hand, while the other hand deflects an attacker's weapon. I wouldn't want to have a malfunction on my first magazine in a defensive situation, because one magazine is all I'm likely to get in a pistol that goes click when empty.

Other reviews state that the malfunctions continue after the "break-in period." I'm beginning to think I should save my pennies for a Ruger LC9 or an S&W Shield.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The SCCYs are good guns from what I hear if a double stack gun will work for your desired use. They are noticeably thicker than the single stacks, about .15", which might not sound like much but is very noticeable for some applications, pocket carry being one of them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a diamondback db380. It loves fiocci and wwb ammo, but hates hornady critical defense. It is 100% reliable with the right ammo for me. I had a db9 that was also 100% reliable with everything but, but I could never get extra mags, and it was neither as accurate nor as well built as my Beretta Nano, or Taurus 709, so I let it go. Id get another Nano or 709 before Id get a db9.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Just go to the diamondback forums and we won't have to talk out of one. You'll run screaming!!!

Hmm, you know, just the other day I was on THR arguing with a guy that said the same thing about going to taurusarmed.net. :icon_ poke:

OK, first off, I know nothing about Dimondback and ain't in the market. I've filled that niche long ago and am happy. I've had my Kel Tec P11 since 1996. It's eaten over 12,000 trouble free rounds with one exception, an extractor broke about 2 years ago. I had a new extractor in the mail within a week. As I do carry +P and have fired some (recommended limited +P) and the extractor has been redesigned, I don't think even THAT was such a big deal.

Yeah, check this out...post number 25, then tell me that what haters on other boards say is truth....

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=768922

That post gives me de-ja-vue all over again.

It never fails when these threads come up people try to convince others that bottom barrel firearms are as good as upper tier.

Just go to taurusarmed.net and read the forums. The actual owners there describing their problems is all you need to know.

Will Taurus make good on them? MOST of the time.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Kahr CM9 or Taurus Slim for best value single stack 9

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Just go to the diamondback forums and we won't have to talk out of one. You'll run screaming!!!
I'm on the Diamondback forum and I'm not sure what you're talking about. That's not what I've seen there.

Honestly, tho, many of the problems described here can be explained by limp-wristing. These lightweight autos have very decent recoil, given the the size of the gun and round you're shooting, but that energy goes into cycling the slide. If you let any of that energy to go into your hand, the gun is going to jam. That's just the design of the gun. If it doesn't work for you, then don't use one. No problem there. But you can't claim they're all junk, because all 5 of my DB's are excellent little shooters and I honestly doubt I just got lucky. You do have to learn how to shoot them.

My opinion only, of course.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hmm, you know, just the other day I was on THR arguing with a guy that said the same thing about going to taurusarmed.net. :icon_ poke:

OK, first off, I know nothing about Dimondback and ain't in the market. I've filled that niche long ago and am happy. I've had my Kel Tec P11 since 1996. It's eaten over 12,000 trouble free rounds with one exception, an extractor broke about 2 years ago. I had a new extractor in the mail within a week. As I do carry +P and have fired some (recommended limited +P) and the extractor has been redesigned, I don't think even THAT was such a big deal.

Yeah, check this out...post number 25, then tell me that what haters on other boards say is truth....

Rossi Gripes(from other people, not me) - THR

That post gives me de-ja-vue all over again.
yeah I followed along with that thread.....that guy was just being a typical Taurus basher.

I always defend Taurus and this forum. I try to convince people to come here and compare the Taurus product problem threads to all the other manufacturer forums and how there is fewer here than most others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts