Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I have read Dr. William Davis' "Wheat Belly" book and are trying to avoid wheat for health reasons. It has been a really good thing for us so far, and some of us are really seeing great health benefits.

Would love to share favorite recipes if any are Celiac, Gluten-free or wheat-free.

If you're just curious, Dr. Davis' blog has some interesting articles:

Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I don't think wheat, gluten, carbs, fat, or calories are my problem. My issue is I just eat and drink too darn much. If I can ever learn real portion control then I would be much better off. But a proper portion would be the regular hamburger and not the Whopper. But I don't just want the Whopper, I want the double Whopper. And then I'm hungry again a few hours later. It's called being a glutton and it's the one vice in my life I have yet to lock in a cage. So while I do think we could all eat a whole lot healthier, I don't think "Wheat Belly" is as big an issue as the article would have you believe. I'm not saying that since I'm a glutton that makes everyone a glutton. It's just hard to deny that there is a vast market that seems to pander to this rather all too common vice. And I’m also not trying to blame the market. The market provides what is demanded. So it’s all our fault for demanding it in the first place. I guess it boils down to a weak will as much as I don’t want to admit that. That sounds harsh, but I don’t think I’m the only one with that problem.

This is of course all out the window if you have a medical allergy to wheat which I have only known one person in my life that had that issue and he was skinny as a rail since his body wouldn't digest much of anything if wheat was in his system. The irony is that he cut out the wheat and started to gain weight since his body could suddenly digest everything he ate.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Whatever works for you.

·
Administrator
35,312 Posts
I guess I thought wheat was supposed to be good for you - like whole grain wheat for example. I've never heard that there were health concerns regarding wheat. I'll have to look at this some when I get some time.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Not that I drink...but I wonder if the doctor has a remedy for "beer belly"? :confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I don't just want the Whopper, I want the double Whopper. And then I'm hungry again a few hours later. It's called being a glutton and it's the one vice in my life I have yet to lock in a cage. So while I do think we could all eat a whole lot healthier, I don't think "Wheat Belly" is as big an issue as the article would have you believe.
I was there with you until I actually read the book. My sister shared it with me, and he has actually done his research. It actually has to do with the way wheat has been hybridized in the last 50 years - DNA changes in the actual wheat has caused some problems with the way it affects our bodies. Far too technical to go into or for me to explain, but we found it very interesting. We don't really have any obesity in our family, but we do have some digestion, rheumatoid arthritis, joint problems along with many other minor issues that seem to be clearing up as we have removed wheat from our diet. It takes a little bit of an adjustment (but we don't eat a lot of fast food, so it hasn't been too hard for us). One of the main benefits described in the book, and one that we can all attest to, is that having removed wheat from our diet has made us all less hungry. We eat fewer calories per day, and don't crave the pastries and burgers and such that we used to crave. So while YMMV, I can say that for anyone who may be having health issues, it's worth a try and beats the heck out of taking a pill that may cause problems even worse that the ones they are intended so solve.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I was there with you until I actually read the book. My sister shared it with me, and he has actually done his research. It actually has to do with the way wheat has been hybridized in the last 50 years - DNA changes in the actual wheat has caused some problems with the way it affects our bodies. Far too technical to go into or for me to explain, but we found it very interesting. We don't really have any obesity in our family, but we do have some digestion, rheumatoid arthritis, joint problems along with many other minor issues that seem to be clearing up as we have removed wheat from our diet. It takes a little bit of an adjustment (but we don't eat a lot of fast food, so it hasn't been too hard for us). One of the main benefits described in the book, and one that we can all attest to, is that having removed wheat from our diet has made us all less hungry. We eat fewer calories per day, and don't crave the pastries and burgers and such that we used to crave. So while YMMV, I can say that for anyone who may be having health issues, it's worth a try and beats the heck out of taking a pill that may cause problems even worse that the ones they are intended so solve.
Thanks for sharing this information with us. I'm going to get my wife to read it. She is all the time complaining about her waistline.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Well what bread we do eat we eat 100% Whole Grain "Natures Own" , Nature's Own - Varieties - Variety Breads - 100% Whole Grain . It taste good , last longer without molding , and doesn't have those large chunks of grain sprinkled on top . We eat this type for health reason . And we have been eating it for maybe 6 yrs and my weight gain is not due to the bread it's due to how much i eat and the other crap i'm not suppose to eat :( . But if it doesn't have this red stripe on it i don't eat it . One loaf last me and the wife a week most of the time . Also if we have biscuits , Pillsbury has one that is a Whole Grain that is great ! . Thing is you wont find as much of this certain bread on the shelf as you will Whole Wheat . I have dentures and anything but whole grain sticks to my dentures :( .

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The onset of the diabetes epidemic in the United States coincides with the use of processed sugar and processed flour (white flour). I don't understand the wheat DNA argument but I do understand that the artificial sweeteners that have replaced processed sugar in many usages are very unhealthful in that they turn into poisons in the body after consumption. The old observation that only fat people drink diet Cokes has scientific validity. There was a great series of nutrition and health articles in Motocycle Consumer News last year that had scientific evidence of this.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I will give the low carb diet a push though. Not so much for the weight loss, it's more about the portion control issue again. When you look at the amount of servings of bread you are supposed to have in a day, it's funny how if you slam down a foot long Subway sub that you just ate your whole day's amount (almost) of bread in that one meal. So I found it funny that if you think cutting the fat and calories is nice, you may still be way over doing the amount of complex carbohydrates that your body needs. Carbs all get turned into fat, simple or complex. So if we eat whole wheat that's great. But look at how many slices of bread you are actually supposed to eat in one day and it may shock you. I have found that even cutting back to what I thought was reasonable turns out to still be way too much. Going from my Double Whopper to a Single Whopper may not be as bad, but until I go down to that craptastic little baby fifty nine cent McD burger, I'm still eating too much... Yay... McD burger... I'm so excited to go eat one... Oh, small fries with that? There you went and just ate the rest of your day's amount of carbs in one sitting. It's tough to beat the fatboy crack habit. I want a can of Coke so freaking bad right now.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I eat just about anything but it is works for you go for it!

I love bread too much, and I love a good Heffewiesen (wheat Beer) too much to quit!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Your right but with a sandwich i cannot eat one slice of bread ...

http://naturesownbread.com/Global/NutritionLabels/100 Whole Grain.pdf
One slice is one "serving". The latest food serving suggestion is I think 6 to 11 servings of breads per day. I take that 6 as the average slob like myself that is locked to a desk all day and hardly ever visits the gym while I think the 11 is for the younger of us who is very active and burning lots of energy at either hard labor or in the gym. So figure that those 6 slices of bread are supposed to be your only servings of bread type food throughout the day... Even if you make a healthy sandwhich, that's all you can have is those three small sandwhiches during the whole day. Oh and keep in mind that you only get 2 to 3 servings of meat and eggs in a day. And one slice of lunch meat is a serving. So you get two slices of bread, one slice of lunch meat, and I guess some lettuce and tomato or whatever. One freaking slice of meat. Yep, not even I can do that one.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I skip, well basically nothing when it comes to eating! What the book in essence says is that a good portion of the hybrid wheat is now almost a growing synthetic and no longer a left or right sugar and has such our bodies have no real clue what to do with it. Some of our favourite foods are of no use to us but it really doesn't stop many folks.

Basically our bodies use right handed sugars and not left. Diet sodas work because among other reasons they use a left handed sugar. And for the most part our body does not digest it. However if you have any E. Coli in your system it will indeed work on either.

Sarge

·
Registered
31,910 Posts
This has become too deep of a subject for me to comprehend, so I'll just try eating a little less of everything and go up and down the ladder a few extra times a day.

By the way, my mom is a Hypochondriac and has way too many pill bottles and get the most popular surgery done whatever it is and however needless it may be! She has had so many dectomies done that there really isn't much left to go wrong.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
LOL!! Just look at it this way, if you can get heritage wheat it's great and your body will like it. But it will be expensive. Heritage foods are grown from the unmodified seed of the original plant and is usually more expensive. It will also take almost twice as much land to produce the same amount as non-heritage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts