Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the grips on my 709 a bit undersized. Two people at my range have added Hoague rubber grips to their 709s but they have to be trimmed to clear the mag release and bottom. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
well you just got to find what feels best to you and that could be nearly anything.
a great many manufactures(some) are offering interchangable backstraps for thier pistols (beretta/ springfield, etc) and this almost always prevents the will not fit scenario, but thats one of the problems with poly framed pistols you can't change the grips on them, innner tubes, houge sleeves, tennis racket wrap tape are some of the things that has been done here on the forum by other people.

Reactions: Guineabear

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...Looked at the Hogues at a local gun shop but they didn't have the right size in black, only pink...Pink just didn't do it for me...Will have to wait until another shipment comes in.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I use the handall jr on my pt145, not the standard handall. No trimming necessary. I used the standard size first and also had to trim it. I put the standard one on my OSS and now have the jr on my 145.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I looked at the Junior but it appeared way too small... Maybe it would stretch out nicely. Something else to think about. Thanks.

I use the handall jr on my pt145, not the standard handall. No trimming necessary. I used the standard size first and also had to trim it. I put the standard one on my OSS and now have the jr on my 145.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Interesting. I looked at the Junior but it appeared way too small... Maybe it would stretch out nicely. Something else to think about. Thanks.
The Handall Jr. (pn #18000??) will fit but take your time. It is snug. Warm it up with a hair dryer prior to installation to help it stretch.

I'm not a fan of the finger swells but that's just me. I've used the bicycle inner tube version on some other firearms (turn the inner tube inside out to get a better grip) but have also wanted to try one of the tennis racket grip sleeves. Walmart sells a grip "sleeve" that you roll onto the grip, sells for around $4 or so.

BK

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Use the Handall Jr. It will fit if you soak it in hot water and stretch it over the grip. I put one on my PT140 and it fits perfectly. If you need to trim it, be sure to take some of the plastic the grip comes packaged in to protect the grip and use a sharp X-Acto knife.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the tips. Bought the handall Jr and installed it yesterday...heating with a hair dryer did the trick but it was still a struggle pulling it on. Had to trim a little off the bottom with a razor blade...Did use plastic from the Hogue package and all seems good. Haven't shot with it yet but it feels and looks good.

Have looked at the Pearce mag extensions with interest but wonder if they will be a little more to snag on something while carrying?

Looking forward to hitting the range to see how the grip feels in action.

·
Registered
181 Posts
One thing I did. I used the Handall Jr. and put it on upside down. This puts one of the finger bumps closer to the trigger guard. Nest in quite well. Still had to trim the bottom.

Paul

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have looked at the Pearce mag extensions with interest but wonder if they will be a little more to snag on something while carrying?
If you decide on the Pearce mag extensions check on Amazon. I can't find them locally and a seller on Amazon had them for $10.58 shipped.

In regards to snagging I have the mag/grip extension on a Kel-Tec PF9 and pocket-carry it with no issues.

BK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts