Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Might have just been a ploy to pull people to the web site.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I think we are seeing a lot of inventory clearing, as retailers are getting rid of Park'd finish AR barrels. Nitrided finishes are just as cheap and do a better job of protecting the barrel than chrome, NTM it offers improved accuracy over chrome and on par with stainless. You will probably see the same thing with the black powder rifles as that market has discovered nitrided finishes.

If you are looking for closeouts on parkerized or phosphate finish ARs, try PSA, they have been putting those on clearance for well over a month now.

Here is a pistol kit for $270: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ight-m-lok-classic-pistol-kit-5165449853.html

And I just did a quick search.

Reactions: mingaa and jwc007

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
There are actually 3 throat sizes, the SAMMI approved .223 Rem (shortest throat), .223 Wylde (mid-size throat) and 5.56mm NATO (longest throat) barrels. .223 Wylde is a compromise that has uses in match type competition since it is well suited for higher pressures with middle weight bullets. .223 Rem has a SAMMI max pressure of 53,000 psi due to its short throat and the fact that it was developed as a cartridge for varmint hunting, shooting light weight bullets. 5.56mm NATO is rated by NATO for 63,000 psi and the longer throat means it works with longer heavier bullets better than with light short bullets and handles higher pressures better.

In general you should not shoot 5.56mm NATO ammo in the .223 Rem barrels, but .223 Wylde can handle both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammo, although the longer heavier bullets work best in 5.56mm NATO barrels due to the longer throat. Still 5.56mm NATO barrels can fire both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammo.

In short, .223 Rem is best suited for 35-55 grain varmint bullets. .223 Wylde is best for match shooting with 55 grain bullets and if you intend to hunt deer, or anything requiring a 62 grain or a longer/heavier bullet you should be using a 5.56mm NATO barrel for best results.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
There are actually 3 throat sizes, the SAMMI approved .223 Rem (shortest throat), .223 Wylde (mid-size throat) and 5.56mm NATO (longest throat) barrels. .223 Wylde is a compromise that has uses in match type competition since it is well suited for higher pressures with middle weight bullets. .223 Rem has a SAMMI max pressure of 53,000 psi due to its short throat and the fact that it was developed as a cartridge for varmint hunting, shooting light weight bullets. 5.56mm NATO is rated by NATO for 63,000 psi and the longer throat means it works with longer heavier bullets better than with light short bullets and handles higher pressures better.

In general you should not shoot 5.56mm NATO ammo in the .223 Rem barrels, but .223 Wylde can handle both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammo, although the longer heavier bullets work best in 5.56mm NATO barrels due to the longer throat. Still 5.56mm NATO barrels can fire both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammo.

In short, .223 Rem is best suited for 35-55 grain varmint bullets. .223 Wylde is best for match shooting with 55 grain bullets and if you intend to hunt deer, or anything requiring a 62 grain or a longer/heavier bullet you should be using a 5.56mm NATO barrel for best results.
I was under the impression that the Wylde chamber had the same length throat but a smaller diameter than 5.56 achieving better accuracy but still allowing the use of 5.56 ammo.

·
Registered
490 Posts
So much to learn and remember, I think I'm happy with my bushmaster with the stock .223/5.56 stamped barrel, I never have to question it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hopefully the recent murders in California won't impact things. That bat-shirt crazy pelosi is already popping her gums about tougher gun laws. They'll have a tough time getting it passed, but just the clamoring can touch off another round of panic buying, which is never good for pricing!!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I was under the impression that the Wylde chamber had the same length throat but a smaller diameter than 5.56 achieving better accuracy but still allowing the use of 5.56 ammo.
That would be news to me. I understood it was simply between the .223 Rem and the 5.56mm NATO throats in length.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's just a hair tighter than the 556 throat, but functions well with both 223 and 556. Fun fact The creator of the 223 wylde just lives 5 miles from me here in podunk IL.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I have never been a fan of the .223 Wylde, it was never a solution to what I wanted to do with an AR.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts