Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I built this couple of years ago my wife loved it with the original wood stocks, now she says it looks ugly but I love it. Much more comfortable then before. It had an Aimpoint on it, but I needed it for one of my AR's.

Any other AK's lovers out there?

·
Registered
959 Posts
You'll have to go into more details on the Build-Up, and what it costs to take one as far as yours...<:))

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the original kit and parts for original assembly, for about $200.00 Just about everything else came from Ebay. But I think Midwayusa.com has everything you need for around the same price or a bit more (not sure). Many of the items are made by Command Arms. And I did install a Tapco trigger in the original build.

$20.00 AK-AR Stock Adapter
$25.00 AR Buttstock w/tube
$45.00 Front Forearm
$25.00 Compensator
$20.00 Small vertical foregrip
$20.00 Stock saddle
$20.00 SAW pistol grip
$20.00 UTG brand rail covers
$30.00 Reddot sight (normally have an Aimpoint, but needed it for an AR)

Purchased 20 steel magazines and 10 polymer mags at a local gunshow for about $6.00 a mag. They were all surplus and need cleaning, but most of them worked without any fitting. Fitting required filing the mags a bit, not the AK receiver.

Here something a bit different in the world of AK's 7.62x51 and it is all facory built this way, accept for the Tapco scope mount and aftermarket scope i added. Shoots beautiful at 300yds and not to shabby out to 500yds on a cold bore.

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
Nice AK and Saiga, Draeger!

I have a lightly customized Egyptian Maadi AKM.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would still grab an AR over an AK if the world fell apart, but they is something sexy about owning an AK (in an evil kind of way).

Bought a Saiga in 223 for the wife and a long barreled Saiga in 7.62x39 for my dad. I've been tempted on several occasions to grab the Saiga in 12 guage, but haven't yet.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was watching some news on Iraq, and they were showing Clips... Every thing looked copasetic, until they showed one clip of our troops going house, to house... This Squad was carrying AK's with Big Banana Clips... I guess they Demanded BIG Reliable, Real Fire Power...!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AK isn't that big or reliable
SgtKnuckles said:
I guess they Demanded BIG Reliable, Real Fire Power...!!!
Not really... If you understand the strength and weaknesses of the two firearms, you will know why the AR/m16/m4 etc. and the 5.56 caliber is the better of the two for most situations. Remember that an AK was designed as a machine gun for short distance use, where the M16... was designed as an assault rifle for all around use. The AK is not nearly as accurate and enjoys mythical reliability simply because it is built with such sloppy tolerances. The 7.62x39 is a great caliber for very short distance punch, but recoil is considerable which throws off accuracy. The AR... are very reliable when proper maintained, it is extremely well suited for CQB or distant shoots (unlike the AK), also the AR has a higher rate of fire. The 5.56 is very accurate, controllable and modular, making it topdog by those that understand.

The AR platform and 5.56 rd is so good at distant shoots that the UN and other officials thought our troops were executing the enemy because of the massive number of head shots beyond 300yds. Won't see that from an AK ;)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Debates about calibers aside I do wish that more russian ak's would be imported I'm tired of seeing the combloc copies floating around. Although the STG 2000 looks like a reasonably priced AK.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
SgtKnuckles said:
I was watching some news on Iraq, and they were showing Clips... Every thing looked copasetic, until they showed one clip of our troops going house, to house... This Squad was carrying AK's with Big Banana Clips... I guess they Demanded BIG Reliable, Real Fire Power...!!!
There's a good chance that the team shown wasn't US. Iraqi's use the AK as a primary rifle.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Nice ... love shooting them too..had a SKS one time and i loved it
I have a friend that has a AK...he said i can use it when i want..just got to buy some rounds>>He he :shooter:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got 10 currently, and have a few more kits I haven't gotten around to building. Here's the rundown:
Norinco MAK-90
Crappy WASR-10 (painted gold like the Hussien captured AK's)
2 Standard Kit built Romanian AIM's
E. German clone built on Romanian kit
Russian AKM clone built on Romanian kit
Kit Built Polish Underfolder
Kit built Polish Tantal in 5.45x39
Kit built Yugoslavian underfolder
Kit built Yugoslavian RPK

I built all of these on 100% receivers except the Russian clone, which was built on a Tapco flat. (and of course the MAK90 and WASR-10, they were store bought, but modded a little.) Here's a few pics:

I built this one for my Dad for his birthday last year.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yup, I was right...!!!
I saw what I saw,... (Iraq,... a Gun Replay of Vietnam)

American Troops are doing "The Nasty" with AK's... Hoo-Raah...<:))
~Marines= Hoo-raah
pronounced: who-rah 2 sylables
~Army= Hooooah
pronounced: houuuh 1 sylable
SgtKnuckles said:
"Look what's happening now: every day on television we see that the Americans in Iraq have my machine guns and assault rifles in their armored vehicles. Even there American rifles don't work properly."
Some U.S. troops in Iraq have reportedly taken to using AK-47s in preference to the standard-issue M-16. The Cold War-era gun, renowned for its durability and easy handling, is plentiful in Iraq.
http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/002214.html

"During the Vietnam war, American soldiers would throw away their M-16s to grab AK-47s and bullets for it from dead Vietnamese soldiers," he said. "I hear American soldiers in Iraq use it quite often."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288456,00.html

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I have never had a true AK around, but three of my sons all had the Chinese SKS in different models. There is one here at the house as I type. All three were modified with the man made material stocks and such, with extended mags. Two of my sons are army, and one is a medically retired Police officer.

The army ones have been in Iraq, and while no one mentioned anyone using the AK. I do know for a fact that we bought and supplied to the Iraqi army and police AK's that were made in Bosnia, Serbia, or somewhere else in that part of the world.

Heck we even supplied the helmets, uniforms, and other equipment but not necessarily manufactured in the US.

Why? Because it is cheaper to provide weapons they have been used too, than train in the use of the current AR's which are much more accurate.

If we are buying them for that purpose they have got to be a hell of a over all good weapon.

And I really enjoyed the pictures of the various ones that were shown here. Great Guns, I even was looking at one 2 wks ago at a local gun shop. Sometimes you can still find them cheap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't have one but I am considering the purchase. As I uderstand it the Century/Romanian AK are not as good as others, is that correct? If that's the case, what is the best deal? I have an AR if I need to shoot anything 200+ yards away so the AK would be just for burning ammo(lots) and fun with friends.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seriously... what exactly is a true AK? Just because its made in some other country, it doesn't make it any less of an AK even if some country's may have made them better then others. It's like calling an AR/M16/m4/etc made by anyone but Colt a cheap copy...

If you want a real original (more or less) brand new AK go buy a SAIGA, it is made at the same plant as the first AK's came from.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Right Draeger, all of those factories were set-up by the same group, Kalashnikov and company, at the direction of the Soviet government.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was refering to the quality control issues the most people seem to have with Century Arms. This would mostly a reciever/assembly issue. Just wondering if it is worth the possible hassles to save $100 or so.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.