Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, dad does too - but im in it more for fun...

so im in the tampa area and my son wants to get more info on some competitive rifle shooting. but i first had some questions.

1. how much do guns matter? maybe a dumb question - but for an 11 yr old starting out, can you go with something like a 10/22 or do you need a matchbore this with a titanium triggered slovanian sniper rifle? :)

2. ive seen some mention of air rifles - i take it these arent the ones you get at your local wally world for $30

he currently shoots my M&P 15-22 and at 50' (using some 50' NRA target) he can shoot out any traces of the bullseye with a 25 round magazine and keep a very nice grouping. im sure with some REAL training and mentor he could do even better.

any thoughts and links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
27,166 Posts
Junior rifle shooting has pretty specific rules on the gun. Fortunately many clubs that have Junior Rifle Leagues have guns you can use. Check with your local club.
OTOH, NRA light rifle may be what you are interested in. This is a (more-or-less) run-what-ya-brung competition and is open to just about anything.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Honestly, you can buy a <$200 Marlin and, spending some time picking the right ammo and easily shoot inside a 2" bullseye at 100 yards. I've only ever shot one group with my 795 (which I have less than $200 into including the scope and bipod, since I got the gun lightly used). I was using Aguila Intercept ammo, a hyper velocity round which are almost universally less accurate than their slower counterparts. Still, at 100 yards I did 9 shots inside 2", with one flier stretching it to 3". I've been anxious to see what she'll do with some different ammo and if I put it on some bags instead of just the bipod and my shoulder, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see <1.5" 3-shot groups.

There is a 12-year-old kid who competes in my local IPSC competitions. His grandpa runs the group, and I think they said he started at age 8, heh.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Check the back of a NRA magazine and they list all the different types of such events coming up.

Sarge

·
Registered
27,166 Posts
this is exactly what i am looking for - unfortunately nothing within a long drive of my house :)

the NRA light rifle also looks good - and maybe more promising. who knows - maybe someone else in the tampa area also has something to check out
And check with your local shooting clubs. My club runs a non-sanctioned junior league. They have a bunch of old target grade Marlins that everybody uses. It's inexpensive and it's nice for the kids to have others their age sharing their interest. That alone will do more than you ever could to promote their interest in shooting.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
@ Jeff. There are several ranges in the Tampa and surrounding area that have various competitions. The Wyoming Antelope club in Clearwater has several, including Cowboy action. They also have youth programs.
I also belong to the Tampagunforum.com group. there are several Appleseed instructors there. Shoots are at Teneroc, Dade City, and in Hernando at the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area on U.S. 19, 9 miles north of Weeki Wachee park.
Hernando also has full auto shoots on occasion.
W.A.C. Wyoming Antelope Club Florida Chapter, Inc.
Hernando Hernando Sportsman's Club
Tenoroc Tenoroc Shooting Sports > Home

1 - 10 of 10 Posts