Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up in the woods hunting squirrels and have loved to do it ever since, though there ain't any squirrels on my place. I bought it for the deer and hog there. However, there is state WMA land under the Texas Type 2 system (48 bucks a year) with LOTS of excellent east Texas squirrel hunting. Every year I threaten to go in May. The spring season is every may in east Texas, but I have always stayed home, awful hot for tent camping in May. However, this may be the year I do it. I'm thinking I'll take my Honda GoldWing up to one of the spots I know about and do some hunting. My shop has been kinda busy, but I think I can get away for a few days and do it. Anyone cares to join me, shoot me a pm. I ain't made any specific plans, yet, but have several spots in mind. Fortunately, these spots have water near the camping areas so I can jump in if I get too funky in the heat, LOL. I just need a few days in the woods, I think, to get my mind straight.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Yep, I've grown up hunting them, primarily with a .22 rifle and sometimes with a .12 gauge. They're one of my favorite animals to hunt and nicer still on a plate with some green beans, cornbread and mashed potatoes. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
Yep, I've grown up hunting them, primarily with a .22 rifle and sometimes with a .12 gauge. They're one of my favorite animals to hunt and nicer still on a plate with some green beans, cornbread and mashed potatoes. :D
How do they taste? I grew up hunting them to keep them off our apple, plum, and pair trees but never cooked them.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Zemus,

To me they're not too dissimilar from rabbit in taste and texture. I actually like squirrel meat moreso than rabbit but only marginally. My favorite 'wild' meat though is Deer but squirrel is close to the top of the list. :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Maybe those country squirrels taste fine but believe me you don't want a filthy NYC street squirrel on your plate... :puke:

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mom used to make squirrel dumplin's. YUM! I miss my mom. Fried, they're pretty close to rabbit. I like to make squirrel stew up in the dutch oven or a crock pot, too.

I have mostly hunted them with a .22 rifle, but have used a handgun and a shotgun. Shotgunning them just seems like cheating. I have a scoped contender barrel in .22LR that's just amazing, out shoots most rifles. I have a little Charter Arms built AR7 that I've dressed up a tad taticool, but it actually works better for hunting, too, one of the few rifles that works better for hunting tacticooled. But the original stock and no barrel shroud on the thing didn't feel good in the hands. It's pretty accurate and reliable with cheap Federal lightening bulk pack.

On the bike, I can take that AR7 and lock it in a saddle bag, the whole reason I have it. I also have a 20" barreled Remington Spartan SPR220 20 gauge with interchangeable chokes that, taken down, fits in a saddle bag/top trunk and of course the contender with barrels. This is my motorcycle hunting arsenal. I should buy a carbine barrel I guess for the contender and a carbine stock in rimfire and one in .30-30 for hunting, but really, big game hunting isn't a motorcycle deal. How are you going to haul a 300 lbs cut up hog home? Well, yeah, I do have a trailer, actually a little camper and a flat bed I can haul behind the Wing, but on deer hunting trips it's usually cold and sometimes wet in the winter and I'd just rather take the van. LOL! Besides, I don't travel to hunt big game much. I have a place here for that. Doves and small game like squirrels I'll use my bike. Saves on gas and is more fun. I like combining bike camping with my hunting when I can.

My 20 gauge:

My AR7 .22. I hunt with the standard 8 shot mag. That long mag looks better than it works. LOL

·
Registered
299 Posts
Started with a .410, then graduated to a .22. Now I use a handgun, but will be going with a scope this year; the old eyes ain't what they used to be. My family's favorite is squirrel gravy on biscuits, and BBQ squirrel on toast. Best way to get your head straightened out after a week of "life", is to just sit in the woods and pop a few bushytails.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
That tacticool AR-7 look almost like a paint ball gun.... just need a tube for the ammo feed.

Steelheart

·
Registered
116 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
Zemus,

To me they're not too dissimilar from rabbit in taste and texture. I actually like squirrel meat moreso than rabbit but only marginally. My favorite 'wild' meat though is Deer but squirrel is close to the top of the list. :)
so i guess my next question would be what does rabbit taste like?

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Light meat, very lean. I would say "it tastes like chicken"...LOL..., but it's much more lean than chicken. Quite good, actually.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chef said:
Started with a .410, then graduated to a .22. Now I use a handgun, but will be going with a scope this year; the old eyes ain't what they used to be. My family's favorite is squirrel gravy on biscuits, and BBQ squirrel on toast. Best way to get your head straightened out after a week of "life", is to just sit in the woods and pop a few bushytails.
I quite understand the scope thing and I shoot with a 2x fixed on my Contender, too. I've taken a few with irons on a pistol, but the scope is much easier on the eyes at 54 years old and my eyes were never that great anyway. LOL

I shot a spike at 90 yards with the contender this past season, .30-30 barrel, 2X fixed 30mm Tasco scope. Dead in his tracks. I also have a .410/.45 colt barrel, but you have to be within 20 yards with a .410 3" out of the 10 inch barrel, not the best for squirrel hunting. It just doesn't throw a dense enough pattern past 25 yards absolute max even though it has a full choke on it that also stops the spin from the rifling. I prefer the .22 barrel. With a good rest like the shooting stix, 50 yards is no problem with that thing.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I too grew up hunting squirrels and rabbits. My main weapon is my Buckmark .22 pistol, occasionaly my .22 rifle, 12 gauge if I'm bird hunting. I usually get over 50 a year, eat them all and sell the tails to Mepps Lures. I like to combine my two favorite pastimes, horseback riding and squirrel hunting. It doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We lived in NE Washington state in the early 60s, my dad worked in a sawmill. Lumber industry usually came to a halt about mid Oct. I hunted squirrels for 7 years. Filled the dinner pot many days, everyone liked fried squirrel, fired potatoes and onions, green beans, fresh baked bread and butter. Damn I miss those days, a simpler way of life!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to own a Pecan Orchard, and to have any Pecans to sell, I had to fight the squirrels for them. Ruger 77/22 with 6 power scope, and at least two bundles of 75 ft long parachute cord. Tie the cord to a bush, maybe a rag, out beyond the tree you knew bushey tails were in, and after shooting one or more, they would run around the trunk from me, reload, get set, yank the cord which would shake the bush, and they would run back to my side, where if it worked right, he didn't run any more. Would usually kill at least 12 per several hours in orchard, and you could do that almost every day. Fried, stewed, squirrel and dumplings, any way is great, but the fact he was dead was best.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I LOVE squirrel hunting. Unfortunately, the "one" thing that my wife put her foot down about was squirrel hunting. She will let me deer and turkey hunt, or even duck hunt, but no squirrel hunting. Oh well, life goes on... A squirrel doesn't keep you warm at night!

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
That might depend on how many you've gotten.... but I doubt that they'd clean up after you!

Steelheart

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
BoneDigger said:
I LOVE squirrel hunting. Unfortunately, the "one" thing that my wife put her foot down about was squirrel hunting. She will let me deer and turkey hunt, or even duck hunt, but no squirrel hunting. Oh well, life goes on... A squirrel doesn't keep you warm at night!

Todd
Turkey hunting isn't something I've ever done but we have an abundance here. From accounts given from others it's a lot of fun though. ;D

·
Administrator
39,733 Posts
I can't resist. You do mean the rodent variety, correct? :shooter:

·
Super Moderator
21,544 Posts
fried squirrel and mashed taters and gravey mmm good favorite gun ruger 10-22

1 - 19 of 19 Posts