Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is considerable evidence that it happens with S&W maybe, but does anyone have any solid info on Taurus revolvers locking themselves in firing?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Not in even the most anti-Taurus forum has that bever been brought up as a point. I know that I've never heard of it amongst the people that I know have Taurus guns with the locks. The mechanics of the Taurus, and S&W lock, are different. Evidently, the light-weight S&W revolvers, in large calibers, and shooting heavy bullets, with a max tolerance lock, can sometimes jar the lock into action. I've never heard of the same problem with a Taurus. ;)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Never heard a whisper about the Taurus Security System "locking up" so to speak.
Even with the S&W AirLite revolvers, it's not a common occurence whatsoever for their ILS mechanisms to malfunction.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
No. Taurus has a completely different system. Try one out - you'll be impressed.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Never heard a thing about it.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Think about it. The Taurus lock is on the hammer. The recoil forces of the gun are perpendicular to the action of the lock. The lock on a Smith is on the frame and the recoil forces are parallel to the action of the lock. This is what CAN cause the lock of a light weight Smith firing heavy loads (as I understand it, this is the problem) to lock itself. If it does happen, it's quite rare and limited to those 12 ounce scandium .357s firing 180 grain buffalo bore .357 or something. LOL But, there is NO WAY the Taurus is going to lock itself, would defy the laws of physics. I lost the key to my M85. I have never locked it. I think locks on handguns are stupid, personal opinion, though. What am I going to do, tell the BG to wait until I find the key? :rolleyes: If I had kids again (parish the thought), I'd get one of those quick opening lock boxes with the easy to encode in the dark combination, maybe, but I never had a problem with my daughter. Boys are more inquisitive about such things, though. But, a lock ON the gun is not an option for a defensive revolver and all my non-defensive ones are unloaded and locked away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts