Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and myself went to look at a gun for him to buy. He was settled on a 24/7 or Millenium Pro 45. The store we went to had no Taurus semi-autos in the case at all. When we inquired if there anymore coming in the sales guy told us they quit carrying them. He went on to say that the guns would fire even if the safety was on. He told us that if you happen to pull the trigger back slighlty and/while setting the safety the gun would fire with the safety on. They removed all the semi-autos from their cabinents for liability reasons. He did tell us that a rep from SIg Arms passed the info to them. I can't believe they pull Taurus Semi-Autos from the shelves just based on a competing reps word. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
that the guns would fire even if the safety was on. He told us that if you happen to pull the trigger back slighlty and/while setting the safety the gun would fire with the safety on.

Now, I do not know what can happen if you hold the trigger back slightly and try to put the safety on. But, every manual of arms, every safety thing I read, every gun expert who posts or is on TV, Say's KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNLESS YOUR POINTED AT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DESTROY> Now I would think that would include when your applying the safety.
I had heard this earlier posted about on this site! But if you have a loaded gun, why would you have the trigger partially pulled while putting on safety. I you have the safety on, why would you be pulling the trigger, (you trying to test the safety, or what).

Now I agree if that is happening it could be a problem, "with the gunner who owns the gun more than the gun, but possibly the manufacturer should look at this problem and see if there is a fix"

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Why pull the trigger for any reason if not on target? If it does indeed do as he said, it must have been a complete moron that first found the "flaw". Think about it, someone has a loaded pistol and thinks, "I'm going to pull the trigger and set the safety at the same time and see which one engages first".

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
Never had a problem. Never even heard of a problem other than what Robby has related above. And I'm not sure even that is problem. :angel:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yep, the DAO models, if you pull the trigger a bit, the safety will not engage the transfer bar.

Not an issue as far as I care: 1. You shouldn't have your finger on the trigger to begin with. 2. It's a DAO gun and shouldn't have a safety in the first place.

Not really sure if the SA/DA has the issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend decided to go to another gun store and purchase a PT145 Mill Pro after our research. I think he'll be happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the SA/DA has the same issue. on an UNLOADED gun, in DA or SA, i pulled the trigger back 1/8 inch or so and the safety clicked on like it's supposed to, but you can pull the trigger the rest of the way back and fire the gun.

i took the slide off to look inside, and it seems that the safety is merely a small bar that extends perpendicular to the side of the gun, to the center of the frame. it's either a bar, or a 'smiling' 1/8 moon shape (like a banana). because of this geometry, it's possible for the trigger bar to be BEHIND the bar (or in the middle above the moon shape) of the safety when it's set. this is what allows the trigger to be pulled as it's rearward movement is not blocked.

however, the trigger will not reset either, as it's bar is being prevented from moving the full distance foward by the safety bar.

i whole heartedly agree...NO FINGER SHOULD BE ON THE TRIGGER UNLESS READY TO DESTROY WHATEVER THE GUN IS POINTING AT. so, this should be a moot point in actual practice, but it's good to know every little quirk with your own gun.

a question, though. how many other brands of guns with external safeties have this little design fluke?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Its like they say about locks, they are only there to keep out honest people. Safeties are only there to keep normally safe people from shooting themselves. I suppose most all safeties can be bypassed by some means. Doesn't mean they are flawed. Just try using a little common sense.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Great comments, Robby! Doesn't make any sense to me, either, that stores would pull Taurus products out of the display cases on the word of a competitor. You shared some great advice. Also, just for the record: my Millennium PT138 won't fire with the safety on. Thanks again. 8)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do own a PT145 Mil Pro 3G, checked it but didnot find such safety issue. Tried even pulling trigger more than 1/8th of inch but safety worked every time. May be something lacking in previous models but again why one would do that while engaging the safety?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This is not a Taurus issue but one shared by other striker fired firearms. Open one up and check out how every thing moves and works and a little lightbulb will go off. And for whatever reason not all of them do it.

Sarge

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
streetcruiser said:
He did tell us that a rep from SIg Arms passed the info to them.
Ah yes, another manufacturer's rep is the most reliable source for information? Right!

I don't think much of a gun store that makes retailing decisions based on information from an obviously biased source.

BTW, doesn't happen on my 3rd gen Pt140.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2nd gen pt140 does it. I don't think it's a big deal at all. Why would anyone have their finger on the trigger when setting the safety? Actually, why would anyone have their finger on the trigger unless they want it to go bang? Gun safety starts in the brain, not the gun...

·
Registered
435 Posts
I went home last night to see if my PT 140 would do what was described here and it did. I did it just cause. I NEVER in a million years would have thought of trying to put the safety on any of my guns while pulling the trigger at the same time. Who thinks of things like this? Whoever did it should not be a gun owner period.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
This was demenstrated on youtube a while back. If I remember right, it was done on a PT model. I can`t remember if it was a mil-pro or not.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ok i have a dao pt111 and it does it on mine. but for the record. there is no way in hell someone could do this and not know it is happening. you have to pull the trigger more than an 8th of an inch to make it happen. and when it happens it causes a lot of resistance on the safety switch as it pulls the trigger back even more. you would have to be a complete moron to do this and not realize something was not right as it was happening. this is a non issue and i also would not frequent a store that basis its sales practices on a competing reps advice. sounds to me like sig wasnt doing too well in that store because of the taurus sales. so his idea was to sabotage the sales of his competition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried it on my PT 140. It won't do it. But even still, to try and get it to come even close to happeneing, I have to use both hands anyways. Why would the store owner not just try it himself and see that it is non issue as for2nato stated. I'd go back to the store and ask the owner..

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
streetcruiser said:
He did tell us that a rep from SIg Arms passed the info to them.
And I'm sure he read it on the "interwebs" so it "must be true." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some Numptie will do it.

I remember being told in a safety class about compressed air lines once that the human bowel will rupture at 14 pounds of air pressure so you should not stick an air hose in your butt......WHY WOULD YOU?

BTW I shot the fish tank, the TV, two lamps, one of the dogs and my wife's cat before I got my PT 145 to do it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.