Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to expand my tools for gun smithing and this hammer looks awesome and it's cheap, and made in USA... seems like very good quality.Smith & Wesson Forum

I'm already messaged him and I am hoping he still makes them so that I can get one or two.

Some pics:

-Nigel

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
I have something very similar. I was a little surprised when I received mine, as to how small it was. But they don't have to be all that big.....both ends of mine are brass - in fact, the entire head is brass.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I too had one that was similar with a bunch of interchangeable heads. Handy little tool. Unfortunately I managed to leave it in my old house when I moved out. These days I just use a small brass hammer, which is all I really need. There's lots of the ones with interchangeable heads available, and if you google "gunsmithing hammer" you'll see a bunch of options. JAT

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoo emailed me back. Currently he said he is out but is making them. About 2-3 weeks, he told me to email him to double check.
I'm going to get both the standard size and the mini so I can chuck one in the range bag.

Quote:
I'm not so hard to find, you can leave me a PM here or reach me at: [email protected]

Thanks, Shoo

-Nigel

·
Registered
38 Posts
That really looks familiar, is it the Shoo Bee model? If so he sells on the Sig Forum also, Good Stuff!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp as pictured here are a couple pictures I took. This is without question one of the best quality tools I have seen.
This is right there with Snap-On quality, and in some ways I think better honestly. There is WEIGHT to this hammer... it's not light. And it's not too heavy but it does have a good amount of weight so that you are swinging the hammer like crazy, the weight of it will do the work. I got both sizes honestly because I couldn't decide which one to get so figured I'd get use out of both of them. The smaller size I actually prefer when working on the 1911... the larger size probably the AR15 build when I start it...

Size comparison with a pen. I didn't realize how small the smaller hammer was but I love it!

Milling on handle:

Hope this helps someone.
I was tired of seeing garbage when you go and type "gunsmithing hammer" or when you go to sites and see a hammer that looks ok with removable heads, but then all the reviews say it's garbage and made in china..etc. Without a doubt I feel like this should be sold in every store that sells guns...lol
I'm not associated with SHOO in any way but I am a very firm believer that when something is of good quality it needs to be seen by people so they can have something that will last and isn't made in China. I have no doubt that these two hammers will last me the rest of my life.

I paid $70 for both hammers 5 heads (10 total for both hammers) shipped usps priority mail. Very good deal in my opinion!

-Nigel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Standard Machinist tool

-Check in your neighborhood or online for someone who stocks machinists tools. As an apprentice I bought a couple of these in varying sizes and with multiple replaceable heads, mostly non-marring.
-The nylon/Delrin heads must come in 50 grades of hardness; there are varying kinds of brass; a few aluminum, although I never used one & I made up one head from pure lead to give a little extra "oomph" without scarring my pronect.
-Best news: they aren't that expensive.
-Suggestion: check the machinist supply houses for prices BEFORE you go to a specialty gunsmith tool supplier. I bet you'll get a better deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts