Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm not too shocked. As a former .40 S&W guy, I'm happy to be back at 9mm camp. I saw 40 at the store the other day; $33.87 for 200 rounds Federal 115 Gr FMJ 9mm. $58.00 for same 200 round pack of .40 S&W. No Thanks. 9mm will do just fine. I've got more ammo capacity, more money for more practice ammo and range time, and thus more proficient than a .40 cal guy. 9mm is the cartridge King, and has been for over a century. :)

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm not too shocked. As a former .40 S&W guy, I'm happy to be back at 9mm camp. I saw 40 at the store the other day; $33.87 for 200 rounds Federal 115 Gr FMJ 9mm. $58.00 for same 200 round pack of .40 S&W. No Thanks. 9mm will do just fine. I've got more ammo capacity, more money for more practice ammo and range time, and thus more proficient than a .40 cal guy. 9mm is the cartridge King, and has been for over a century. :)
I hated .40 then the CHP guns went on the market. The 4006 really was built like a tank for the round to the point the lower is as heavy as the entire G2/C. I don't think i could ever go back to polymer .40 guns. I would love to try the G2c out in 40 to see how it runs. They use the same pound recoil spring as the 9?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
As a .40 person who reloads there are upsides.

Last year someone on one of the local gun forums advertised 9mm, .40, and .45 brass for sale. $30 for 1000 9mm,
$40 for 1000 pieces of .45 ACP. I got 3500 pieces of .40 for $30 and the guy was happy to be rid of it.

One persons trash is another persons treasure.

I like .40. All the .40 guns I have had have been accurate and reliable. Reloading I don't have to shoot hot factory loads.
I can load them down. I do like the hotter loads though.

All the Best,
D. White

·
23,058 Posts
9mm is the cartridge King, and has been for over a century. :)
Bwahahahahahaha

9mm's inadequacy* helped create the .45ACP. Back when the 38LC was failing to stop tribesmen in the Philippines, they sent some 9mm pistols to the expeditionary force. They were met with the same disdain that the 38LC earned. So the .45ACP was created, and it was good, and the soldiers were happy - at least our soldiers. Enemy soldiers didn't like it so much. And then came the Beretta, and darkness was on the face of the soldiers, and they tried to wrap their hands around it, and strove to reach the idiotically placed decocker lever, and used three or four shots to stop an attacker.

Okay, modern hollowpoints help a bit. But .45 is king, .40 is queen, and 9mm is the jester.

·
Registered
966 Posts
:jiml:
Bwahahahahahaha

9mm's inadequacy* helped create the .45ACP. Back when the 38LC was failing to stop tribesmen in the Philippines, they sent some 9mm pistols to the expeditionary force. They were met with the same disdain that the 38LC earned. So the .45ACP was created, and it was good, and the soldiers were happy - at least our soldiers. Enemy soldiers didn't like it so much. And then came the Beretta, and darkness was on the face of the soldiers, and they tried to wrap their hands around it, and strove to reach the idiotically placed decocker lever, and used three or four shots to stop an attacker.

Okay, modern hollowpoints help a bit. But .45 is king, .40 is queen, and 9mm is the jester.

Reactions: PilatusTurbo

·
Registered
97 Posts
A local pawn here has them on Armslist for $215. I'm migrating away from .40 too because of the cost of ammo, otherwise I'd probably get one. I don't expect I'll ever have to shoot someone, but if I do, I think the 9mm will do the job, they seem to work for the Chicago boys shooting up their own.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not to jump on the caliber war bandwagon, stopping power, etc... That's why I'm happy with 9mm. Odds of ever needing that high capacity or more "stopping power" are so low, I look at range time expenses, and training expense.

BTW.... Stopping power is a myth. Gotta run, Bye everyone! :D:D:D:D

Reactions: uphill

·
23,058 Posts
A G2C in .40 for $215? That might get me to break my 'no more poly guns' decision.

Reactions: PilatusTurbo

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
With 6 different handgun calibers to choose from, I just don't see the need to add another caliber at this time. But there are lots of .40 fans out there.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
With ammo cost, what you can kill with one round of .40 will take two rounds of 9mm so your ammo cost is almost DOUBLE.

:)

Just kidding......

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
14,851 Posts
Looking at SGAmmo's website, I see .40 caliber for decent prices.

Yeah, it is a little higher than 9 mm but not that much.

And, while I have no .40 caliber handguns, they have caught my eye a few times and would not mind having one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was gunless from my late teens (when I left the house) til about 6 years ago. I got a Cobra 32ACP because I had a crack head living next door. The guy next door was really big, and I thought that little 32 against him on crack wouldn't be much good, so I got a HiPoint JCP. Then I got a Kahr CM40 to carry. He od'd and died, good for him. But, then I needed an AR15, then I needed some 22's, then I needed a 9mm, now I need.....?????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts