Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of 17" rims for my F150 to replace the 20" tire and wheel setup that came from the factory. I just don't care for the low profile look or the ride of the 20" combination.

I don't really care one way or the other about RWL sidewalls so this is a non factor also.

I have kind of narrowed it down to the Pathfinder tire which is a house brand of Discount Tire made by Hankook and pretty much a copy of the Hankook Dynpro tire. Price is $148 per tire plus all of the Discount Tire fees to mount and balance along with tax. The Pathfinder is a SL rated tire 4 ply.

The other is an Ironman All Country A/T tire. Ironman tires are made by Hercules Tire. Hercules Tire is made by Cooper Tire. Best I can find out is that Hercules and Cooper tires are made in the USA. Ironman tires are made in Taiwan. The Ironman is a LT, D rated, 8 ply tire. Best price found on the Ironman tire is $120 plus tax free delivery (from the other side of town...LOL). Would have to have them mounted and balanced at my local shop for almost what DT charges.

I have owned the Pathfinder tires in the past and they were well, OK for tires. But the Pathfinder tires that I have experience with were the LT 10ply tires on a one ton truck.

The reviews that I have read online as to the Ironman tires have all been pretty much positive. But, would sure like to hear from any of you who may have used them either currently or in the past.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Ironman is what we put on the wife's Honda CRV last time. They seem to last a long time- can't remember how long now- but the tread still looks good. They were the cheaper option then. Only complaint- they are noisy. I am sure its the tread pattern.

Edit: Checked the numbers- we put the tires on in June 2018, and have put 32,000 mi on them- and it looks like they have a long way to go yet.

·
Registered
18,486 Posts
Haven't really run either of those but I'd lean more toward anything related to Cooper. They make good stuff, used a lot of Coopers over the years on my own vehicles and recommend them to my customers, especially their winter tires. As far as I know, Cooper is about the only tire mfgr that will not make tires for walmart. When a company refuses to lower their standards, that makes big points with me.

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
My F150 came with Pirelli Scorpions (the stock Goodyears were swapped out by the dealership). I'm on my second pair of them now and the replacements are the same brand and model. I ran Goodyear brands on my two prior trucks over a 20 year period and they wore unevenly and I had nothing but problems from them. The Scorpions are like riding on a cushion of air; no pull, rattling or wobble ever felt. They cost $200/tire but they are a dream to drive with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts