Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice several grip will not fit the PT1911 due to the ambidextrous safety, can anyone recommend where or what brand will fit this gun with out modification, I like the Hougue type grip, I checked out the Pachmer but they stated it would not fit the PT1911 gun due to the safety, Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I absolutely love the Raasco grips on my PT1911. They feel awesome and the price is good for the quality of them

http://www.raascogrips.com/

Reactions: rongeswe2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Txbass, did you have to do any modification to these grip to fit the PT1911 with the ambidextrous safety? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the Hogue wrap around grips. I did have to use a razor blade and shave about 1/16 th off the right side, I didnt do this because it didnt fit or that it didnt operate, the safety bar simply was touching it, and it bothered me, I am anal that way. I am on my phone so if you want to see the picture you will have to goto the PT1911 pictures thread. The grips are awesome by the way.

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
A lot of folks really like the Raascos. I put the Pachmyr ALS grips on my PT 1911 SS when I first got it and it still had the ambi safety. You can use a Dremel on just about any grip panel, I used the OEm grip as a template to mark where the indent started on both the top and rear. Then you do trial and error on the fit to be sure the safety moves OK (BTW, it's the anniversary of the term "OK" today). I've since changed to a single sided safety and put some Caspian grips on that I found on sale at Midway.
PT1911 C.jpg PT1911 C3.JPG

·
Registered
251 Posts
Txbass, did you have to do any modification to these grip to fit the PT1911 with the ambidextrous safety? Thanks for the info
Raasco makes grips specifically for the Taurus PT-1911, no modifications necessary. They come highly recommended.
Ollie answered before I could, but no, they do offer Taurus specific grips that fit perfectly with the ambi safety. Hardest part of swapping them out was getting the factory grips off mine. I chipped a tiny piece off of the left side grip trying to get it to let go

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
well as has been advised already, Raasco makes a grip panel for the Taurus that will fit like a glove.
additionally if you get thier grips (except the exotic hardwoods) the others are made form composite layers of different woods put together under pressure and with a bonding agent, this makes them somewhat impervious to water and chemicals.
If that don't float your boat then really any 1911 Grip panel will work, you will just need to relieve the area on the inside of the right panel (as in your stock grips) to let the ambi safety work, or as mentioend go with an all rubber grip and the ambi safety will work fine behind the soft rubber,or at least mine always have.
NOTE: if you use a regular Colt 1911 grip panel then you will need to get a set of colt grip screws as the taurus screw heads are larger diameter and will not fit flush below the grip surface.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Hardest part of swapping them out was getting the factory grips off mine. I chipped a tiny piece off of the left side grip trying to get it to let go
remove magazine, remove grip screws , take small screw driver or pry tool and lightly tap the inside of the grip panel through the magazine well, once one grip is removed tap the other through the window of the grip frame and it should come of fairly easily.

·
Registered
251 Posts
^^Thanks for the tip. Didn't even think about trying to get them out from the back side. Guess I was too excited to swap them out to think lol.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
^^Thanks for the tip. Didn't even think about trying to get them out from the back side. Guess I was too excited to swap them out to think lol.
You are welcome!
actually if you know what a brake spoon is (used to adjust brake shoes) , thats what i use , its a left over from my younger days when i did a bit of my own mechanching, it works like a champ.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
RAASCO offers the most variety in grips specific to the Taurus (zero modification needed), and as another thread on here will show, I'm a big fan of theirs.

That said, I also ordered a pair of the Hogue wrap-arounds, and was disappointed with the seam in the center (result of being poured into a mold), but they'll do if I decide to go to rubber. They were only $20 over at Amazon, so I snagged 'em and put them in a drawer for "maybe later".

Meanwhile, I'm ordering another set of RAASCO grips in the morning, now that I've decided on a style/color that I want for my PT1911 SS.

Good luck with the shopping.

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
I use the same Pachmayr ALS grips. My favorite. They take only a few minutes to modify. Either with a Dremal go slow and match with the originals or a razor blade will work too. They give a great hold on your gun and fit your hand perfectly.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You guys have some nice pictures of the Hogue and Pachmyr grips, but none of the ambi side.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I personally like G10 and micarta, so I recommend these guys (Home). These two materials are really tough, so they wear well and look good too. It may take a little modifying like the others said, but it would look great with the mentioned Pachmayr ALS.

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts