Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no experience with any 9mm revolvers, however I might be interested if Taurus could/would produce a 6 shot revolver in the same configuration as my 856UL.

·
8,885 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have the Charter Arms 9mm Pitbull and like it. At the time of purchase, my LGS had the 905 in stock as well. I handled both and the fit/feel of each was excellent. I decided upon the Pitbull because I didn't want to mess with moonclips.

Bullet creep can be a problem with snubbies. I reload so I can dial in my ammo to where it is not an issue. I do get a teeny tiny bit of creep on round #5 but it is less than 0.010 inch.

Either revolver is a winner!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Charter Arms 9mm Pitbull and like it...
Unfortunately (IMHO), Charter Arms stopped producing their 6 shot 9mm snub nosed revolvers and replaced it with the current 5 shot version. CA customer service advised me that this was done because of some problem(s) that are unclear to me.

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
Some people complain about the moon clips but I've never had a problem with them when carrying my 455. I wouldn't carry the gun without moon clips though unless you want to poke the spent cases out with a stick or pry them out with your fingernail.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Had one for a time. Great little snubby. Just make sure you have plenty of moon clips, and you are good to go!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Some people complain about the moon clips but I've never had a problem with them when carrying my 455. I wouldn't carry the gun without moon clips though unless you want to poke the spent cases out with a stick or pry them out with your fingernail.

I agree with texastaurusguy the Moon Clips are a good thing for model 455 in 45ACP but I had nothing but trouble with them on the 905 I had. I finally gave up and sold it.
I found there was too much variance in the brass of a 9mm cartridge rim.
Out of all the 9mm brands I tried I found the Winchester 9mm cartridges would stay in the Clips better then the others.

Finally decided I just did not want to deal with it so I got rid of my 905..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I did get to shoot a S&W 9mm years ago in 4 inch barrel,I thought at that time the recoil was lets say stimulating,lol.I a a fan of reducing the calibers in my collection and with handguns I am down to 22 lr 38/357mag,9mm ,Still got too many rifles in 10 calibers I want to sell off.remember I did say recoil was stimulating.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input! Seems like moon clip issues aside, the 905 is a winner. I know there are some fixes for the factory ones and lots of aftermarket clips you can pick up. For my purposes I like the idea of moon clips as speed loaders anyway. RKGuns has it for $359 right now so don't try to change my mind!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I would like to get a 9mm revolver, for the same reason that PNWg2Dude stated: caliber consolidation.
Unfortunately, a 9mm revolver is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than a 38 Special.
Why?.....I don't know!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have a Ruger SP101 9mm, and it shoots accurately with moderate recoil that's similar to a .40 semi. The factory grips and hammer spring need to be replaced, unless you enjoy getting your middle finger knuckle battered and can handle a 14# DA trigger pull. You can fire this 9mm with or without moon clips. Most of the time, the spent casings fall out on their own without the moon clips. After new grips and hammer spring, this 9mm is a pleasure to shoot. Also, a little polishing can make it purdy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was intrigued for a while with the idea of a 9mm revolver but my enthusiasm has waned to almost no interest :(. The $359 price tag mentioned by the OP offers some spark but the "moon clip" complaints carry more than a small amount of weight for me. My initial interest was fueled by having a fair amount of 9mm on hand but only two 9mm firearms. One was a bit fussy RE: ammo and the other isn't that enjoyable to shoot. Right now, I'm thinking that an additional auto-loader might be a better choice than a revolver.
Fortunately for the OP, his mind seems to be made up and doesn't want to be deterred. In that case, I'm going to say "go for it"! Pics and a range report will be expected tho;).
Flex

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the deed is done! On a fairly ironic note, after all the talk about moon clips, the five that came with it must have been sealed in the bag hastily, the black finish on them was still a wet, sticky mess 🤣 At least I know my new firearm is nice and fresh! Quality control on the pistol seems to be much better, thankfully. This is my first revolver so I have only occasional use of my buddies on the range to go off but it feels great v in my hand, the DA is heavy but seems to stage smoothly and the SA is scary light and clean. And of course I'll update with a range report soon.

Was just reading a thread about the eternal search for next gun. The struggle is real. The finish on mine is literally still wet and I'm already browsing emails and local ads for a 1911...in 9mm of course 😉

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
Very nice ! And, I would start looking for additional moon clips right now, so you'll have maybe 20 when you're done. I'm sure you can tell, they bend easily and can bend to the point where they are not usable and you'll be glad you had the extras stored somewhere. ;) Congrats !

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love 9mm revolvers and I have a few.

I own a Charter Arms 9mm PITBULL - (the original 6 chamber model), a S&W 929, the Alfa Proj 9231, and the Ruger LCR in 9mm.

I got a chance to handle the LCR, Charter Arms 9mm PITBULL, and the Taurus 905 side by side by side. There was no doubt that the Ruger LCR had the best DA trigger of the three guns, the Taurus 905 had the worst DA trigger of the 3 guns, the Charter Arms was obviously in the middle.

I've had my 9mm PITBULL for a number of years and the trigger has smoothed out some but its still not as good as the LCR right out of the box. The Charter Arms DA trigger is also not as nice as the Alfa Proj or the S&W 929.

I would like to get the Taurus 905 but I would only get the stainless. I know if I purchased the new blued version of the gun I'd be unhappy with how the finish will fail to hold up. I also can't get past the price tag. The cheapest I've seen is $360.00 While that is cheaper than the Rugers, I just can't purchase the 905 for that. I'd rather put that $360 toward the SP101, which I know I'll enjoy shooting a lot more than shooting the 905.

Picture :)

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would like to get a 9mm revolver, for the same reason that PNWg2Dude stated: caliber consolidation.
Unfortunately, a 9mm revolver is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than a 38 Special.
Why?.....I don't know!
I don't know how the 905 headspaces. I'm assuming the moonclips space the cartridge, but even so, the chambers on most 9mm revolvers need an extra machining operation to accommodate the case. For most 9mm revolvers the case head sits against a ledge and the chamber forward of that is something like .356"

I know the chambers on the LCR are machined to hold the case, because the LCR can fire without moon clips. If the 905 can fire without moon clips then the chambers had to have been machine to hold and space the cartridge.

But still, I can see the 905 being a little bit more expensive than an M85 but not a hundred dollars more expensive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I love 9mm revolvers and I have a few.

I own a Charter Arms 9mm PITBULL - (the original 6 chamber model), a S&W 929, the Alfa Proj 9231, and the Ruger LCR in 9mm.

I got a chance to handle the LCR, Charter Arms 9mm PITBULL, and the Taurus 905 side by side by side. There was no doubt that the Ruger LCR had the best DA trigger of the three guns, the Taurus 905 had the worst DA trigger of the 3 guns, the Charter Arms was obviously in the middle.

I've had my 9mm PITBULL for a number of years and the trigger has smoothed out some but its still not as good as the LCR right out of the box. The Charter Arms DA trigger is also not as nice as the Alfa Proj or the S&W 929.

I would like to get the Taurus 905 but I would only get the stainless. I know if I purchased the new blued version of the gun I'd be unhappy with how the finish will fail to hold up. I also can't get past the price tag. The cheapest I've seen is $360.00 While that is cheaper than the Rugers, I just can't purchase the 905 for that. I'd rather put that $360 toward the SP101, which I know I'll enjoy shooting a lot more than shooting the 905.

Picture :)
I like weird guns (I just bought a Chiappa Rhino 200DS, for example). I am intrigued by your Alfa Proj. Would you mind sharing where/how you obtained it, and provide thoughts on how it shoots? Thank you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Alfa Proj is a small arms manufacturer in the city of Brno, Czech Republic. CzechPoint USA, run by Dan Brown, is located in Knoxville Tennessee and is the exclusive distributor of Alfa Proj revolvers in the U.S.

CzechPoint USA imports a number of different Alfa Proj models ranging from .22LR, .32 S&W Long, to 9mm and .357 Magnum. CzechPoint, Inc. They don't import many of the 9mm revolvers so when they came in, I purchased on right away. At the end of the next day, they were all out.

Alfa Proj sells two main versions of their 9mm revolver. One version called “Classic” and the other version is called “Luger” Both versions of the gun are built on a 357 magnum frame. The “Classic” has a fluted .357 magnum sized cylinder that fits the frame window:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts