Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like shooting large bore pistols. We have two .44Mags, one is a Taurus Model 44, the other is an S&W 629. 44 Mag is a lot of fun, but I want to trun the power level up a bit.

I'm thinking about getting a Taurus Raging Bull or Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. Does anyone have either one? What do you think about it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
One my shooting buddies has a SRH in 454 casull 7.5 in., I really couldn't appreciate the power of the 454 cartridge until we went from 45 long colt to shooting 454 rounds, yeehaw! He has Pachmayr decelerator grips on his and says they make a big difference on his big bore handguns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A friend of mine had a raging bull in 454 for a while. Darn fine gun imo. Real man handler the first time out, took a few rounds to get the right grip and stance. It was the first hand cannon I ever shot. After I figured everything out it was a blast to shoot. Plus they're a good conversation piece at the range (KABOOM- What the heck you shooting over there?) type thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A while back on another gun board someone complained about lack of durability of the 454 Raging Bull (RB). Something about constantly having to tighten screws or something like that. I like some of the the features of the RB, but I'm a little concerned about how long it will last with full power 454 loads. From what I've read about the Ruger, its built like a bank safe and will last to the end of time.

This weekend I will check out some of the local gun shops and try to handle both firearms.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a Raging Bull in .44mag and would recommend it to anyone… I got it less than year and a half ago and shot about 1300 thu it (light to hot reloads)... no specials... never had a problem

Do you reload? Factory .44mag ammo are a bit under loaded, H110 will give you pretty impressive velocities (200gr @1800fps or 300gr @~1300fps) the muzzle flash is pretty impressive too 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I only shoot factory ammo, but reloading is in the future since the larger pistol calibers get expensive to feed. Most of the 44Mag. I shoot is Remmington UMC 180. The specs on the round say it leaves a 4" barrel at over 1600fps and has over 1000lbs of muzzle energy, so it seems to be a fairly hot factory load.

I've have my M44 for over a year and think its a great pistol for the price, I just want to try going up the power scale. Since 45 LC can also be shot out of a 454 revovler, this would give me something that power wise can be adjusted to fit in between 357 Mag and 44 Mag, as well as above the 44Mag. if I feed it 454.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have shot both the Taurus and the Ruger. Trust me you will enjoy the Raging Bull much better. With the grips and porting the Bull is a pleasure compared to the Brutal Ruger.....................................................................

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I had a Taurus M44 at one point in time and it was a great revolver but due to some circumstances at the time involving a move, we had to part ways. :(

I own a Raging Bull but it's a .500 Magnum. Bulldog500 on this forum has the same model --- both with the 10" barrels. It seems to be like every other Taurus revolver I've ever owned -- well made, rugged and reliable and shoots better than I do. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
flejl said:
A while back on another gun board someone complained about lack of durability of the 454 Raging Bull (RB). Something about constantly having to tighten screws or something like that. I like some of the the features of the RB, but I'm a little concerned about how long it will last with full power 454 loads. From what I've read about the Ruger, its built like a bank safe and will last to the end of time,
That's funny, I have the same problem with my Ruger SBH, and it's only a 44 mag. Damn screws keep backing out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i do i do.
6 1/2 inch blue .man she shines like i dont know what.built like a bank vault with for and aft cylinder lathes.the grip and the porting make the 454 just tolerable.i have a ruger srh 7 1/2 inch in 480 and i wouldnt have it in 454.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the SRH in .454. I think it's a great hunting pistol, it has dropped every hog on the spot. It has a nice trigger and the pistol is gray covered stainless. Mine has a Leupold scope. The only drawback to these big bore pistols is they almost weigh as much as a rifle (not really, but they are quite heavy).

Mine looks like the one on top at the following link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img....454+leupold&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&safe=active

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like those Rugers as well king; the extra round is nice too! I was really close to picking up the Ruger Alaskan in 454, but decided against it since I already had the S&W 460. Good to hear yours is doing you well!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm on my second 454 R.B.
first(stolen) was a earlier model 6incher shiny finish ,finned grips had more red in them and were softer. backstrap seemed the same

I replaced it with the 8 incher,matte finish.
timmy said
"Plus they're a good conversation piece at the range (KABOOM- What the heck you shooting over there?) type thing."
It's gotten me some suppressed uzi time in some "try this out" bartering .
I've not had any "shooting loose " problems or any other problems ,for that matter

recoil probably wont be your problem with the R.B. but you might think about doubling up on hearing protection, plugs and muffs .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.