Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an archery range for 6 years but I have been tired of lugging a lot of my AR-500 steel targets.

I have a Texas Star and Dueling Tree which are quite heavy and cumbersome for lifting in and out of the car.

I checked with local laws and I have a bit of land so I set up my own range.

I have a Last Stands Target stand that has several sized AR-500 plates. The dueling tree which can be transported since it’s not too heavy (55 lbs). The Texas Star which would not be fun lugging to the range and calling for a cold range every other minute. I have a few other target systems such as Arntzen targets but I’m debating just bring those to the range versus keeping them outside.

Anyone else have their own range? I was inspired by Hickok45.

I have a mountain as a backstop, right now. Should I add a 7 foot pile of topsoil, too? What purpose would that give me? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
If you own the land between where you are shooting from and the mountainside, I don't know what adding topsoil would accomplish. Anything that would shoot through a mountain wouldn't be stopped by a mere pile of topsoil.

b.t.w., nice targets.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
If I had that much access I would probably get tired of shooting every day.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I'd either get tired or go broke!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I live on 30 acres and have a 200 yard range set up. For all the hills I have, none of them had a flat stretch of land facing them so I ended up using my tractor to build a berm. In your case you look fine, I wouldn't add anything. I have been completely revamping it and adding a somewhat permanent target and gong stands. I also built a big box to keep down at the range to hold everything needed including the portable bench I built. This picture is old and doesn't show the improvements I made. I'll have to take some new ones. I have leveled the target area and built up the berm and also cut the woods back to make it wider. I think this picture was at 50 yards. It stretches almost exactly 200 yards back

As far as enjoying it I certainly do. With the box I built all I need is the guns and ammo along with a small range bag with hearing protection etc. Being retired doesn't hurt any. It's a short drive to it from my house and I can bop down there and shoot for a half hour or three hours. What I have found though that its a lot more fun shooting with buddies. Surprisingly there are a bunch willing to fill that role;). I really have a lot more fun when there's someone to interact with.

Range 2.jpg

Target Don.jpg

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I have an indoor range here at home!
its air conditioned and heated for year round use.
I just open up the Master bedroom door, and the door to one of the extra bedrooms, shoot down the hall.
I shoot a 9 MM so no danger of it going anywhere even if I miss the target the projectile will just bounce off the sheetrock..----:D

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I have an indoor range here at home!
its air conditioned and heated for year round use.
I just open up the Master bedroom door, and the door to one of the extra bedrooms, shoot down the hall.
I shoot a 9 MM so no danger of it going anywhere even if I miss the target the projectile will just bounce off the sheetrock..----:D
You, Sir, are a troublemaker...and a bad influence! Some of the kids on this board are going to take that and run with it!

....guys will be getting divorces for shooting up their kitchens...

:eek:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I'm moving my initial shooting area and creating a much more range-like situation.

20180113_172924.jpg

20180113_172912.jpg

Range Distances.jpg

That very last hilltop before the woodline is the 500 yard mark. The firing position for rifle is elevated above the range by about 40 feet. I'm building a platform and putting a 12' x 8' steel garden shed on the platform to serve as both shelter from weather and brass catcher as well as a dry locale to store my steel targets and such. I'll line the inside of the shed with egg carton mattress covers (you know, the ones you can get at Walmart to make your bed more comfortable?) for noise reduction and a bit of insulation too.

I'll be setting up a 10-30 yard area close up for pistol work, and multiple targets at 50 yards then at every hundred yard mark after that, out to 500 (I'll probably only need one at 500 and will be happy if I ever hit it twice in a row).

·
Registered
672 Posts
Have a little bit of land at my country house. I am in the process of developing a private range to be used by Regular Guy Training. 800 plus yard rifle range and a host of different pistol ranges. Steel, silhouettes and many other ideas are in the works. It promises to be quite nice if it works according to plan. Here is a view of a portion of the property.

Kendal Photo.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a outdoor handgun range with metal and wood targets, a 150 yard rifle range with shooting bench and an open area for shooting sporting clays. The backstop is the southern rim of the canyon and 10,000 acres of BLM land behind that, so it’s quite safe and private.
Only problem is it’s under about two feet of snow that won’t melt until the end of April, so I only get to use it about 7 months of the year.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have a pistol range and a 200 yd rifle rand behind my house. Nice natural 20 foot+' embankment for a backstop plus it is on a creek bottom so it's very flat.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
8,897 Posts
I built a shooting wall for my immediate backyard, then use a 15-20' berm in the center of my property for rifle and steel shooting. So about half of my time is on the wall and then I load up the John Deere Gator and drive out to the berm to play steel music or long range rifle.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Only thing we can shoot is a pellet gun or .22 at most the from the deck. Too close to my neighbors to satisfy the local laws for a home range even though we're outside city limits. We did ponder moving, but land prices are high around here.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
You, Sir, are a troublemaker...and a bad influence! Some of the kids on this board are going to take that and run with it!

....guys will be getting divorces for shooting up their kitchens...

:eek:
MY BAD!!
I am so ashamed of myself!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Have a little bit of land at my country house. I am in the process of developing a private range to be used by Regular Guy Training. 800 plus yard rifle range and a host of different pistol ranges. Steel, silhouettes and many other ideas are in the works. It promises to be quite nice if it works according to plan. Here is a view of a portion of the property.

View attachment 387929
Looks a little cramped to me.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Man, I hate you guys!! I'm in the 'burbs with houses all around and an 8' fences. Neighbors freak out if I run off a snooping bobcat with a BB gun!!

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Man, I hate you guys!! I'm in the 'burbs with houses all around and an 8' fences. Neighbors freak out if I run off a snooping bobcat with a BB gun!!
WELL GEEEZZ!
you need to get a silencer for the BB gun and put on your Camo so they can't see or hear you!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts