Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody has a 5,000+ round Model 85?

If so, how has the reliability, accuracy etc. been? This gun is on my wish list, so I'd like to hear from someone who has lots of time on theirs? The local store has a stainless one (new) for $299. Sounds like a good deal.

Also, any opinions on how it stacks up against a Model 36 Chief's Special? They're awfuly proud of those (@ 2X the price of the 85).

Thanks,

Donald

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links!

Good reading stuff. I'm still hoping to hear from someone with a high time 85.

Anybody have over 2500 rounds through theirs?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
Yep, just put another 50 rounds through it today. It's got something around 6K though it, though a lot of that is light loads. It's an ultralight, alloy frame, still tight and still goes bang every time. It's a great shooter with a better DA trigger than I've ever felt on a J frame.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input NativeTexan!

In the mid 90's, I carried an M85B. I shot that thing like crazy at the range @ twice a week. I thought it was the cat's meow!

Cruzing around the gun forums, I just don't hear much excitement about the 85. I can't imagine why? Mine was stellar! Glad to hear that you enjoy yours so much!

Anyway, it's on my list and I will own another as soon as possible. I'll give a report when I get it.

All the best from the Alamo City!

Donald

·
32,531 Posts
If one is a THR or TFL member and does an overall search the 85 comes up very frequently.
Being one of the 'Defenders of Taurus' from here and with fellow members from here, we've seen or been in quite a few of the 85/605 or other revolver threads.

There's even a few threads over at these forums of Taurus snub clubs or the 85s are in snub threads. Not all, but enough of them.

Have the 85CH going on 20+ years and it has about what Native Texan has through his. Accuracy is still good as it ever was.

Everything is tight, no cylinder play,cylinder indexing for the charge holes is excellent, and it has given excellent service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had my 85 for about 10 years; it probably has 3000 rnds through it, tho it has been relegated from carry to car glovebox by newer guns. Have NEVER had a problem with it; still shoots as it did when new ... a great gun, I know I paid about $300 for it new. You can't beat it for the price; enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts