Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see a Mil Pro or 24/7 C with some treatment along the lines of Cylinder & Slide, Bowie, etc. Haven't had any luck any which way I google the topic, but it seems like someone would have done it by now. In the mean time, I'm gonna mess around with photo shop and see what I can create...I'll post pics if it looks decent.

Anybody with a custom poly frame taurus of any kind, lemme see it, please.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like nobody's taken the custom route with their MilPro...Not sure I will anytime soon either...just wanted to see one with some work done. Here's what I came up with just messing around on paint. (None of this has actually been done, just speculating).

Reviews?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been thinking of putting a rubber slip on hogue grip on mine... I guess that doesn't really cut it though compared to your picture. That texture reminds of the S&W M&Ps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BigBadBull said:
That texture reminds of the S&W M&Ps.
It does...which is funny since it is a cut-n'-paste of the texture in the center of the grip on the stock Mil Pro. I think I'd go with some deeper, patterned stippling if I actually did it though. I used what was already there for convenience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, no one has really told me whether they like it or not. Does it look good? Do you think I should consider doing something like this sometime down the road? Should I add any other mods?

I like the custom stippled look, and I'm not in love with the big wide checkering on the front and back straps of the stock grip, so I stippled the whole thing, plus the mag release button. I took off the trigger guard hook, 'cause I have always hated those, on just about every gun that has them, and the one on the MilPro is HUGE. I also shaved down the pinky rest on the mag floorplate for better concealment, and milled in a finger pull notch, though much smaller than those normally done by C&S and others. Then I hard chromed the grip pins and added the C&S logo, just as an authenticating touch, although if I went through with it, I wouldn't necessarily go through them.

Anyway, whaddaya think?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
One of the issues involved in "customizing" these guns is their original price. Sending a $600-$900 gun off to have a $200-$300 custom 'whatever" could be seen as an enhancement of the value of the gun. But the point of the Taurus is that you get a good basic gun for $300-$400 and especially with the MilPro there just isn't anything to really customize. I looked at doing something about the grip on my PT-145... all the way to some of the dip in rubbery coatings (think plier handles)... but I realize that for range shooting I could buy an $8 pair of weight gloves with the double padded palms... and for carry it just didn't matter much... if I had to use it I knew it wouldn't slip out of my hand and like the report... I'd probably never notice it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. I wouldn't consider customizing a Taurus for the sake of investment, however, but to improve its utility and my personal enjoyment of the gun. It would be done simply to suit my personal preference,not to make it an heirloom showpiece. The market value of it means little to me, unless I end up totally disliking it and wanting to replace it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really like what you did with the grip and everything. it looks really good and I would do it. I like customizing things because it makes it your and no one else has one just like it. I was thinking about polishing the stainless steel slide on my 24/7 but I dont know what it would look like. Does anyone have any pictures of that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've polished the flat parts of the slide, sides and top and installed Williams sights, green front and red rear. I like to customize stuff too. Haven't taken a picture yet, will see if I can get on by tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it looks good. You can do most of that yourself with a soldering iron, file, and sharp blade. For the slide, you can use a dremel to polish it.

I have polished the contact/sliding/moving surfaces of my titanium Millennium. It really smoothed the action. I also cleaned & polished the firing pin and some of the firing pin bore, which smoothed the trigger pull. I knew it was better than stock, but holy cow.....when I compare it to my wifes new Mill Pro.....what a difference!! Night and day!! I can't tell you in words how different they feel.
I know I'll end up polishing hers the same. Plus, she'll probably have me do some touches on the SS slide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think i might polish the contact/sliding/moving surfaces my 24/7 as well do you have any pictures of what you polished? also if i were to polish the feed ramp do you think it would make it feed the ammunition smoother and easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my PT140 Mil Pro with a Hough grip...the small universal one, and I just cut it up to fit better, and make sure it doesnt get in the way of the mag release, and the mag operation...it is still a little sloppy up at the top of the grip...I wonder if maybe a slight heat gun will shrink it down to form better...anyways here you are...with mag in and out.

Here it is with the mag in

Here it is with it out

·
Registered
212 Posts
kingofwylietx said:
I don't have pictures, but I can take a few tomorrow night.

I like a mirror smooth feed ramp....on all my semi-auto's.
I tried to take some pictures, but they came out aweful. It was too dark w/o flash, but the flash causes bad reflections. Normal ambient light doesn't show the polishing well. I can post them if somebody really wants to see.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The pictures are bad, but they are below. You can't tell in the pics, but the inside of the slide grooves are polished too. Basically, the flat piece that runs the center is polished, the grooves are polished, and the part on the right that gets rubbed is polished. I did all the parts that showed any wear marks. I hope this helps. I can take better pics with my camera if needed, these were done on my cell phone.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
heres a couple I did in MS paint

tan frame Mil with a SS slide

24/7 frame with a PX4 Storm slide

heres my wifes pink and stainless PT111 does it count?

my carry 24/7 45 with her PT111 and "Fluffy"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts