Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buy a beat up gun?

"Fully functional" but drop dead ugly! Wear, battle scars etc......

And yes, you do plan on shooting the heck out of this beater gun?? This gun has to work cuz it's going to get shot allot.

I'm thinking revolver, but I suppose it could be a semi auto as well.

Thoughts, stories and pictures welcome....:):):)

Reactions: bobbojama

·
9,541 Posts
My new to me Star BM 9 - meets this criteria to a tee. Rough on the outside , but beautiful on the inside where it counts.

Then there is the Ruger P90 another rough and tumble tank, both of these old surplus pistols shoot very well, well enough I can use for SD. The Star cost in the low $200's , and the Ruger in the high $200's.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! And that's some mighty fine shooting there as well!

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
This is my $20 yard sale find. It is a .25 acp Colt Automatic and while it doesn't look like much it shoots very well.

It doesn't get to the range often but I take it out to shoot 3 or 4 times a year.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
In a previous life it was a police pistol over seas. A Star 30MI in 9mm. For a double/single action pistol it has the nicest old school setup.

It cost me a whopping $195 plus tax. Most of the wear is outside and near like new on the inside. With a Dremel tool I can modify S&W 59 magazines to work. They just will not hold the slide open on the last shot unless the follower is modified as well.

Maloy

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I have a Star BM and an FEG Hi Power clone where the finishes are ...well, there's hardly a finish on them. Shoot like the dickens, they do.
Then, I have a Ruger Single Six I bought in the parking lot of my gun range, at night. It was nice enough for the money($120.00) when I got it home and cleaned it the next morning, the guy must have touched it up with a Sharpie or Cold Blue, but it came right off. That gun is a beater. I mean someone beat that gun. It still shoots fine. I think I looked up it's birthday and it was 1974.
To date, my worst/most naive gun buy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes to all the above!
Got an itch and searched for and purchased this Rohm 14S 22 lr revolver (165.00 in my hand). It is in my pocket or in a pancake on my belt every time I walk out the door on my property loaded with CCI 22lr shot shells (much cheaper than 38 shot shells). 2 Rattle snakes down so far this season. Small, light weight, cheap enough, accurate and if the finish gets dulled more by sweat so what. PICs are with my Taurus 85 for comparison on size.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Had a wife like that once. Wasn't worth the work :)

Something neat about an older worn gun though. Boy, if they could talk!
I bought a CZ-82 in 9mm Makarov some years ago. Good shooter. Had every
intention of fixing it up until I found a crack in the barrel about a half inch
in from the muzzle. It had to go. Sure are some SEXY pistols when dressed
up though.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Administrator
41,483 Posts
I like old and well worn firearms that are still functional. They just look like they have stories to tell, and have character. To some extent that is.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Had an old 1911 Colt the was carried in WW I but had no documentation to prove it had been carried during the war. It was a beater but it shot like a house on fire. I reblued it and it came out beautifully! My neighbor who sold it to me in the first place pestered me to sell it back to him to the point he even had his wife calling me. So I sold it to him and he promptly sold to another mutual friend who fired a hot load in it and cracked the slide just behind the recoil spring housing! When heard that, I knew karma was a big, ugly female dog!! :D

Reactions: silverstring
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.