Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting this question under the right section...anyway, just curious to know if anyone has tried the new model PT58 at the range..accuracy at what distance?..recoil, if any?..weight with 19 rd mag?...etc...any and all info will be appreciated...many thanks from the Bluegrassstate...

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
That would depend on what state you live in. In most of the country the so called Assault Weapons Ban sunset on time and we've been able to get higher cap mags ever since. Some states however, passed their own versions of said law.

I know that I've ordered many 20rd and 30rd mags over the past several months for my AR and some 16 rd mags for my XD without any issues.

Steelheart

·
Registered
959 Posts
INFO... If anybody finds a 19 round Mag... Post where in this thread...<:)) We would all like to Know...

States With Magazine Capacity Restrictions...<:-((
CA - 10 Rds, DC - 10Rds, HI - 10 Rds, MA - 10 Rds, MD - 20Rds, NY - 10 Rds, NJ - 15 Rds

You need to have at least 6 Mags if you buy a new Gun....Right...<:))
The price of the Mags would stop me from buying a PT58... YIKES...

PT58... $39.95 per mag...
1911...Match Grade SS...$14.34 per mag...

.45ACP 8 Round 1911 Shooting Star Stainless Match Grade...
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG277-1605-1856.html

PT58 10 round mag... $39.95
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81429442]

hmmmmm........
http://www.gundirectory.com/forumThread.asp?threadID=1000280

PT58... 12 round mag.
http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/taurus

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the new model PT58 comes with 2 each, 19 round magazines..however, I guess in states where illegal, you would get 10 round mags...thanks for the info..blb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bluegrassstate said:
I believe the new model PT58 comes with 2 each, 19 round magazines..
That´s correct. The new model is called the PT58HC Plus. The PT58 has gone through the following models:

PT58S - 12 round magazines, no decocker
PT58SD - 12 round magazines, with decocker
PT58HC - high capacity 15 round magazines, with a decocker. The grip is longer than the previous models, almost the same lenght as a PT92.
PT58HC Plus - Current model. It is the same PT58HC, but it comes with two extended 19 round magazines. The PT58HC Plus also takes the 15 round mags.

There is also the new PT59, which is a PT58HC with a full size barrel. It is essentially a PT92 chambered in .380acp.

When Taurus launched the PT58, it was supposed to be a compact, locked breech companion to the PT92. It was later found that the PT58 was being widely used by policemen in Brazil as a primary duty sidearm, in conventional duty holsters. A plethora of taxes and legal restrictions made it much easier for a Brazilian policeman to buy a .380acp, instead of a 9mm. Brazilian law enforcement, with its 500,000 men, was buying PT58s like crazy. Taurus responded to that big market by trying to improve on the pistol´s capacity over the years, keeping an eye on the caliber restriction. They were also making the PT58 bigger and bigger.

It came to the point where we are today, with the PT59, the largest .380acp ever produced by any gun company. Its only reason of existance is Brazilian gun laws. Sadly, I think the same could be said of this new PT58HC Plus. I think the large grip, coupled with that big, displaced magazine extension, has made the PT58 lose much of its charm and utility.

I much prefer the old 12+1 rounders.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thanks for the correction.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
17,826 Posts
MWAP said:
I was wrong. Actually, it is straight blowback.
Actually, it's a delayed Blowback, as the Slide and Barrel travel back together during the recoil cycle for a short distance. Straight Blowback has a fixed barrel mounted directly on the frame.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Boy oh boy!!!

A 19 round 9mm kurz!!!

If I already didn't have .380acp pistols up the ying-yang I'd give it a look see!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
jwc007 said:
Actually, it's a delayed Blowback, as the Slide and Barrel travel back together during the recoil cycle for a short distance. Straight Blowback has a fixed barrel mounted directly on the frame.
Thanks for the correction, it seems I was wrong two times. I admit the only PT58 I´ve ever had was sold about 6 years ago.

I am looking for one, though. I´m gonna get me one of these black PT58HCPlus, and post some pictures when I get it.

·
Administrator
17,826 Posts
You are most Welcome!

MWAP said:
I am looking for one, though. I´m gonna get me one of these black PT58HCPlus, and post some pictures when I get it.
Saw one at our local MC Sports this last Sunday, May 10 2009. If you have an MC Sports in your area, you might want to check with them. Actually, they have the best variety of Taurus Handguns I've seen anywhere, with fair prices.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've never seen one on display in any of the gun stores in my area (Northern Illinois). There are two very large stores that have 1,000 handguns on display at any given time--including every Taurus gun currently made (except for the PT58HC Plus). I got mine on GB.

·
Administrator
17,826 Posts
Animalmother said:
I've never seen one on display in any of the gun stores in my area (Northern Illinois).
Ahhh! But I am in Northern Illinois. They are out there now, but probably not when you were looking for one. Some things are just easy to find when you are not looking for them, or so it seems to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts