Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever spotted someone else's CCW in public? Where was it concealed? How did you spot it? Did you do or say anything? Did anyone ever spot you were carrying?

Until I get my Taurus PT111 Mil Pro I am carrying a Ruger 4" bbl .357, sometimes I worry about the bulge. I carry in my IWB with a Uncle Mike's Sidekick and it's really only when the wind blows my loose button up shirt open and may press in on my untucked t-shirt that I get concerned.

-Rabid

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Once, the guy was driving a smaller car (I was in a Wrangler) and could see his holster/pistol on his hip. He had pulled his jacket away so he could access it if needed. Plus there's been a few times I strongly suspected by their body language/actions.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Seen it alot of times over the years. Mostly from new users, that for some odd reason either over compensate concealment to the point it is obvious or the other extreme where they seem to want people to know they care packing a firearm. Then there are those, so use to carrying that they pay less attention to concealment.

The best I've seen is the guy that dropped his gun at a local Walmart checkout lane, on a Friday evening with the store packed full of people. Turned out he was an off-duty LEO who was recently attached to the DEA... Ya I know the guy and he hasn't lived it down yet.

Technically a CC permit is a permit to carry and does not necessarily mean it must be concealed in most state. Also, in most states there is no law against CC within the city limits as long as you are in our own home or property, although I don't know anyone that has tested this. And if you were seen with your weapon exposed, that would then lead to an entirely new set of problems (something are better not tested...).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Last summer I saw a guy going into a local sporting goods store. He had just gottten out of his car and his shirt was bunched up around his gun. He didn't notice it until he was almost inside the store. If I had been closer, I would have let him know.

Todd

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have spotted two in the last 10 years, both last year. Both gentlemen had OWB holsters and shirts that were too tight for that mode of carry. I have carried full time for the last 8 years and as far as I know have never been spotted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rabid_Dog said:
Has anyone ever spotted someone else's CCW in public? Where was it concealed? How did you spot it? Did you do or say anything? Did anyone ever spot you were carrying?

Until I get my Taurus PT111 Mil Pro I am carrying a Ruger 4" bbl .357, sometimes I worry about the bulge. I carry in my IWB with a Uncle Mike's Sidekick and it's really only when the wind blows my loose button up shirt open and may press in on my untucked t-shirt that I get concerned.

-Rabid
If anyone ever mentioned that subject to me, I would just state that, "I need to get a smaller cell phone". Then I would simply go about my business.

g19erusa

·
Registered
86 Posts
Once saw a guy w/ a fanny pac ,the give away was the speedloader case on his belt right next to the fanny pac.
Once in Wal-mart w/ my wife,she started talking to an old friend...a woman who was printing like crazy...she had a tight fitting tee shirt over a huge auto(Glock)...I mentioned it to my wife and she said"well she probably doesn't care,she's a cop."
Once in a chinese rest. a guy's j frame grip was poking out of his IWB holster..
Other than that,only guys who I know are carrying....when ever one guy's wearing his fanny pac,I figure he's carrying.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When a fanny pack is on a guy, and he's wearing it in the front I usually call it a "pecker pouch"!

Wow, you've spotted your fair share of concealed carry. I know a cop too who when he carries off duty (and although he hides it well in IWB) he doesn't care if it's spotted in public, say when he's reaching for something.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think most people don't notice unless they're looking for it. And alot just figure it's a Blackberry or a big cell phone. I did see a guy with an auto in his waistband in the back. You could see darn near 1/2 the gun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I saw one going into a large grocery store. This guy was walking behind his family, and had sweats and a t-shirt on. His shirt must have ridden up in the car, because I saw the entire handle of his revolver sticking out of his pants at about the 5 o'clock. I was driving by, and wondered when the local police would get the "man with a gun" call. ::)

The only other time I spotted one was when I was working bank security as a reserve police officer. The older guy had a "gun" fanny pack (fairly obvious - square/black/nylon/large ;D ). I watched very carefully while he and his wife conducted their business, and when they left, I stopped him and asked if he was carrying, and if he had a permit, etc (interesting being on duty as a police officer while working bank security). He showed me his permit while his wife just looked at him and said, "I can't believe you carried that thing in there! I'm so embarrassed." As he got that sheepish look, I held back a chuckle until they left,and then laughed out loud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1SourceWeb said:
(interesting being on duty as a police officer while working bank security). He showed me his permit while his wife just looked at him and said, "I can't believe you carried that thing in there! I'm so embarrassed." As he got that sheepish look, I held back a chuckle until they left,and then laughed out loud.

I am wondering why you would think your behavior in this instance was funny. I certainly see no humor in it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Shaggydog, I think 1SourceWeb found the behavior of the wife funny, not his own behavior. I have to agree that it is funny. I would have gotten a good chuckle, too.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Strange I have only been made once I am aware of. It happend to be a cop too :eek:

I stopped in at the corner store to get something to drink and my wife wanted an orange juice, I went to get the OJ off the top shelf and remembered not to use my strong side hand so I reached with my left and I was keeping an eye on the cop standing there reading the magazines who was keeping his eye on me for some reason, anyway I must have pulled down on the shelf with the drink somehow and the shelf collapsed and drinks started falling. I reached up with both hands to hold the shelf in place and my shirt uncovered my 24/7. The cop came over pretty quick to give me a hand holding the shelf full of OJ which was surprisingly heavy and while we both stood there trying not to drop anymore juice on the floor holding the shelf together waiting for the guy who works there to come help us fix it, the cop looks at me and says "I will need to see your CHL if we ever get to stop holding this shelf up" I said no problem sir. He then says "of course it might not be till they sell out of these drinks on this shelf so we can put it down" I started laughing and almost dropped the shelf ;D

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I do not recall ever noticing anyone else carrying in public, as yet.
But, it's interesting about what 1SourceWeb mentioned working security
in the bank. Here in Tulsa, most if not all the banks have a
"no weapons" policy.

I do most of my business at the drive up window. But, whenever I have to
go inside, I leave my firearm in the vehicle. God forbid, if anything ever
happened while I was inside, like a robbery, if I survive the incident, it would
be the very last time that I would disarm to go inside a bank!
Policy or not!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate. Here in MI, there is no law against carry into a bank, and the bank actually has to post a sign if they don't want the CPL holders to carry there. I wouldn't bank at a bank if they banned CCW inside. I stopped going to my favorite theater because they decided to "protect" their patrons by not allowing CCW. Just a personal preference.

And for the record, I was laughing at the wife's comments and the sheepish look on the husband's face. I should have mentioned, obviously there was no threat, and the permit was valid, so there was no harm-no foul, but I found it interesting how blatantly obvious the fanny pack was at the time.

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
Only if it's posted. :thumb:

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I think I was made by an ex Texas Ranger. He never said anything. I noticed him looking at my waste while I was waiting on him at work, super nice guy. He looked at it for a few seconds (IWB with a shirt tucked in and belt over the clip), and I guess noticed the bulge on the side. He then would not make eye contact with me again. I thanked him and continued the transaction like I always had before, politely, thanking him, and have a nice day and what not. He never said anything, and the next time he came in, you never would have known the difference.

I also got made by a coworker, 2 actually, one looks for that kind of stuff, but it took him a while to notice. It was only because I was leaning over the counter and to the left stretching my strong side. He noticed the belt sticking out and then looked for the bulge.

The other went to poke me in the sides as a friendly gesture and hit a grip instead of a me. He knew something was upped and spun around as he walked by and asked if I was carrying. I said no and took off. He asked me a couple of days later and I told him. After that, almost everyone up there knows.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts