Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aunt has an old S&W Model 38(no dash) Airweight. The only issue is the nickle finish is peeling bad(mostly on the side cover and on the frame behind the yoke). Other than the looks, it performs flawlessly. I know the Airweights were aluminum, and not to use +P ammo in them. She was wondering if it would be worth it to have the nickle finish redone? It does have sentimental value, as it was her late hubby's backup gun when he was with the PD.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had this 3" Taurus model 65 refinished by Robar Guns last year. The steel frame is plated with electroless nickel, and the internals were done in NP3. I'm very happy with the results, both cosmetically and mechanically. I was given this gun years ago almost completely brown with rust and badly pitted. The nickel plating doesn't fill pitting but it is a vast improvement over what it was before.

I'm not sure whether this can be done on aluminum guns, but here's a link to the Robar web site, and electroless nickel specifically. https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/electroless-nickel/

Attachments

Reactions: Buckeye! and 57K

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you want to go to a different type finish, Cerakote is an option in a number of different colors like Titanium color.;)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have a older .32 semi auto that was nickel plated. I need to get it redone also. Thanks for the ideas...:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts