Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know... danger! My first ever handgun purchase was a brand new Jennings Bryco M59. I still have it. Just curious if anyone else has one.

I also have a Jennings Bryco J-22.

·
Administrator
18,191 Posts
Don't have a Jennings Bryco M59 and probably never will, but I did consider one as a stash gun a very long time ago.

I do have an old Jennings J-22 that I bought new a very long time ago. It's been mostly reliable, but I've found the Magazines did suffer from poor quality springs.
If you leave it loaded, the Magazine Springs go soft, which kind of defeats it's purpose for being.
I did buy some new Magazines for it, but I rarely bother to shoot it, in deference to my Ruger MkII.

Jennings J-22 in Black Teflon Finish with Gold Colorfill in the lettering

Reactions: 777Driver

·
22,978 Posts
I have one made by their Grandparent company.

Nice! It's crazy what some people ask for these. There are two on gunbroker right now that are almost $300! And seven between $100 and $200. Who knew these were investment guns? That has to be more appreciation than inflation. No way am I paying over $100 for one. I'll just keep watching... These little .25s do have a certain odd elegance to them.

I had a Raven, and a Davis in years gone by. Never had a Bryco.

Reactions: morrcarr67

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Nice! It's crazy what some people ask for these. There are two on gunbroker right now that are almost $300! And seven between $100 and $200. Who knew these were investment guns? That has to be more appreciation than inflation. No way am I paying over $100 for one. I'll just keep watching... These little .25s do have a certain odd elegance to them.

I had a Raven, and a Davis in years gone by. Never had a Bryco.
Asking is one thing. They are actually selling for those prices. I once saw a NIB NOS sell for $450.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I had a Davis .380 that I seldom shot. Extremely snappy. Sold it some years ago.

·
22,978 Posts
Asking is one thing. They are actually selling for those prices. I once saw a NIB NOS sell for $450.
Sweet tap-dancing hades. That will certainly keep me out of the market!

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
MY GOD!!
I have sold a virtual Boat Load (medium sized cabin crusiser) full of ravens, Jennings, bryco and Jimemiz back in the gun business days.
If I remember right we retailed them for about 79 bucks, think we paid like 39 bucks for them.
most were overpriced at that price.
they were a toss up, you either got one that worked or you got one that didn't work.
neighbor recently bought a Jimenez (against my suggestion) and of course had problems, in all fairness however they repaired the weapon nd got it back to him in 10 days!
don't know if it works though?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I used to sell them (the Ravens) when I had a license many years ago. I could get a couple of dozen wholesale for about 300 bucks, and paired them up with something like silver tips (pretty bullets in plastic boxes) and a shiny zipper case for 89 and 99 bucks. Most of the customers were heavily inked, heavily made up, heavily perfumed young women in, uh, casual clothing. I made some money, but the wife got tired of the customer base.

No, they are not investment guns. They are, pretty much, junk guns formerly known as Saturday Night Specials or "suicide guns." If I owned one I would disable it before finding a river to throw it in.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I remember when the LGS sold the Ravens for $49 and they sold a ton of them, I had a friend that worked there back then.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Nope, I've considered getting one once or twice simply because I like their bootleg Walther TPH appearance, but unfortunately the current going rate for them honestly is pretty terrible considering that you can actually get a decent quality firearm for just slightly more.

Honestly, I've seen some of the newer models by Jimenez, Phoenix Arms, and Cobra going for just slightly less than a Taurus TCP-738, Spectrum 380, and Ruger LCP, so why anybody would by such infamously poor quality firearms when nowadays there are firearms of significantly higher quality available at similar prices is beyond me.
Heck, you can get a Hi-Point for around the same price, and despite being very big/heavy, they tend to be extremely durable/reliable.

Granted, I know that you can sometimes find them for ridiculously low prices in pawn shops or at certain gunshops who got them as part of a lot or something, so if you can find one for like $25-75, then that's something, but personally, I wouldn't buy one regardless. (I'd rather save it for a collector or someone who'd actually appreciate it.)

Don't get me wrong, they're neat little pieces of history, (or at least actual surviving examples of those made by the Ring of Fire companies from the 70s-90s are) but I personally have no interest in them anymore.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
You couldn't give me one of those things. Not that they are the devil-incarnate or anything I just have zero interest in ever owning such a firearm. If you gave me one I wouldn't know what to do with it, probably turn it in to the PD or throw it in the lake.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Don't get me wrong, they're neat little pieces of history, (or at least actual surviving examples of those made by the Ring of Fire companies from the 70s-90s are) but I personally have no interest in them anymore.
I think that's the biggest draw to these older guns designed by George. People want that little piece of American gun history.

Now for me, it's a little different. I have the Raven but I don't need or want any of the other old brands. I do however want to get a Pheonix Arms .22lr. They too are based on George's design but what it really has going for it is that they are made here in Ontario California. That just happens to be where I call home for the last 13 or so years.

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
NO! Praise the Lord! I do have one ring of fire zamak wonder, though. It's a pretty sorry excuse for a pistol, a Phoenix Arms HP22, but it IS amazingly accurate for what it is....when it's not down for maintenance. I don't shoot it much anymore. I have much better .22 caliber pistols, compact and full sized.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I think that's the biggest draw to these older guns designed by George. People want that little piece of American gun history.

Now for me, it's a little different. I have the Raven but I don't need or want any of the other old brands. I do however want to get a Pheonix Arms .22lr. They too are based on George's design but what it really has going for it is that they are made here in Ontario California. That just happens to be where I call home for the last 13 or so years.
I own a Phoenix HP .22LR. I know its a Zamak gun but I've put a few hundred rounds through it with no probs whatsoever. Paid $140 NIB for it. I use strictly CCI Standard Velocity 1070fps in it. CCI runs clean, no duds, and is rec'd by Phoenix. It is my truck gun. And if it breaks (brakes? :) ) I'm not out much.

PS: Grew up in Fullerton, lived in Chino with the cows for a while. The cows were aromatic and the CIM-Chino breakout alarm went off once or twice but other than that, ain't a lot happenin' in Chino. :)

Reactions: morrcarr67

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
I had a Davis .380 that I seldom shot. Extremely snappy. Sold it some years ago.

I had one of those. IMHO it was the absolute BEST of these pot metal wonders. Mine was a P380. It was quite accurate shooting most loads into 4" at 25 yards and to point of aim (off the bench), had a beefy firing pin/sear I liked and a rather ingenious recoil slide buffer, springs to soften the blow. It was a striker gun which I didn't trust to carry condition one, carried it condition 3. It was HEAVY, like having a brick in your pocket. I got a Grendel P12 .380 (which I still have, but don't carry anymore) and sold the Davis. Now days, I have little interest in .380 at all. I have .38 revolvers and carry 9mm and up in pistols. Those guns served the purpose when I had nothing better and didn't wanna spring for a Walther or something. Oh, I'd have sprung for a Walther I suppose if it weren't illegal to carry back then. I wanted something I could toss in the bay and not worry about it. :rofl:

And people call TAURUS junk? :rofl:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.