Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking for a gun with the right and natural "fit" for her hands, my wife decided on the Bersa Thunder. This weekend I went to our local gun show to find her one. The very first one I picked up happened to cut my trigger finger! I picked it up again slowly, and the culpret was the end of a coiled spring sticking out slightly from the back of the trigger. I figured it had to be just that pistol, so I went to the next booth to find another. To my surpise the 4 that I looked at had the same end of the spring sticking out, and if I grabbed the pistol too quickly I seemed to poke myself each time. Just to be stubborn I looked at Gander and Academy with the same result. I talked her out of that choice of handgun because I don't need her hesitating to reach inside her purse in fear of being pricked by her own gun... Anyone else notice this? :???:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just purchased a Bersa .380 CC It does not have the spring sticking out. Have her try the CC version. I think it is much more comfortable that the regular version.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, no one local has it but if you say that it does not then I can just order one for her online. Thanks again

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
We have a Bersa DeLuxe that my daughter picked out for her first pistol and CCW. No sticky, hurty things here, either. Except for the bright pink grips!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
For those that have owned the Bersa Thunder .380 have you been satisfied, is it accurate, does it function well, and would you trust your life on it as a carry weapon? I'm looking at them and I really like this little gun, a friend has one and loves his over his ppk. Also what is the difference in the regular and deluxe?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes, I'd trust my life with it. I've had numerous Bersas. Still carry the Thunder 45UC
once in awhile. Had a few 380's. Should have kept at least one. :bang:
Fun to shoot. Mine was very accurate. I shot it better than my Sig 380.
No recoil. I think the deluxe holds more rounds, but not sure.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'd heard that the recoil was not bad. How does the thunder 45uc compare in size to the .380 as far as frame design? Does the uc stand for Ultra Carry?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Bersa Thunder 380 is one great pistol. Accurate, dependable, and tough as nails. It was my son's, then my daughter's, and now mine. I've tried several brands and types of ammo without one failure. It amazes me how little they cost. I accidentally dropped it on concrete. I think the concrete was hurt more! The trigger hasn't pricked me. I'll have to look and see if the spring is exposed. I can honestly recommend this pistol.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I purchased my Bersa Thunder .380 today. I'll give a range report hopefully in the next few days. I did notice that the spring looks like the one in the above picture and all the bersa .380s did. However it did not cause any harm to me so I bought it. Thanks for y'alls posts, it helped me make the decision.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have never noticed any spring poking out of the trigger area, because on mine there are NO sharp spring ends or other sharp parts anywhere, including in the trigger guard. There are no springs sticking out of my wifes Bersa Thunder .380. They are accurate little pistols, and feed reliably.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
gunfun1002 said:
For those that have owned the Bersa Thunder .380 have you been satisfied, is it accurate, does it function well, and would you trust your life on it as a carry weapon? I'm looking at them and I really like this little gun, a friend has one and loves his over his ppk. Also what is the difference in the regular and deluxe?
Yes, yes, and yes.
And I have no sharp spring on the trigger either (shug)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Bersa Thunder Deluxe .380 and a Bersa Thunder .40 High Capcity. I have encountered no problems such as the one you mentioned?

I have found both guns to be made very well, high quality and great to shoot.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
thunderjohn said:
Yes, I'd trust my life with it. I've had numerous Bersas. Still carry the Thunder 45UC
once in awhile. Had a few 380's. Should have kept at least one. :bang:
Fun to shoot. Mine was very accurate. I shot it better than my Sig 380.
No recoil. I think the deluxe holds more rounds, but not sure.
Thunder, your 'no recoil' caught my eye. I'm still trying to decide on a wife gun. Was stuck on wheels for simplicity sake, but I found myself pretty much limited to either 22mag or 38, without getting into oddball ammo, and I find the trigger pull much harder on wheels. And I've hesitated with the 38 as she hasn't shot before, and I want her first trip to the range to be fun, not scary. That's why your comment caught my eye, and I just happened to be checking out a thunder 380 at the shop today.

They had a new CC (matte I believe) for $275. Do you think it would be comfortable for a first time female shooter?

·
Registered
244 Posts
First pistol my wife shot was my Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 She did not care for it because of the recoil and her wrists. She has never really fired a handgun before, but she did not do too bad for a first timer. We only shot around 2 5-shot groups and stopped (have home backyard pistol range). Borrowed a Walther P22 from a friend. It shoots the .22 LR and she did quite well with that little German pistol. I really liked it and chewed the center out of the targets with it. It is light, but with .22 there is little recoil. She really like it a lot over my .45
Next we shot a Ruger bull barrel .22. She liked the recoil on it as well, (negligible) but it was kind of heavy for her to hold. She did good on it on the targets. I chewed the center out of targets before giving it back to my friend. :)
Bought a Bersa Thunder .380 and she shoots that pretty well. She likes the .22 better but can manage with this .380 quite well, and is not near as timid about it as the .45 Taurus. The .380 with those Remington Golden Sabers, or when I get them the new Hornady Critical Defense will make it a more suitable defense at home than either the broom or a .22 pistol. However, the .22 has had it's share of ending many a Bad Guys crime spree and put meat in the pot.
Now, I'm keeping my eye out for the FireStorm .22 LR, also made by Bersa. Looks like and feels like the Thunder .380 but shoots the .22 long rifle cartridge and should be great at range training as it is like the .380 only cheaper and no recoil. Yes, there is some recoil. Even a .22 has recoil. Just is a matter of own personal ideas on "how much".
Bersa should come out with the Thunder series in .22 and call it the Bersa .22i pistols for "intro" pistols to learn on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What happened to the OP picture of the spring?

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
After going through TWO EAA Windicator revolvers, because they were totally crap, my local shop gave us full credit, and my wife picked out a Bersa Thunder .380

NICE GUN ! Oh yeah. Really nice gun.

·
Registered
630 Posts
gunfun1002 said:
I own a Bersa and a Kel-Tec Neither will let me down. I bought the standard Thunder instead of the CC version. It isn't really any harder to conceal, and has better sights for plinking. I have never noticed the spring sticking out, but I loaned it to a friend's wife to qualify with this weekend. I'm sure if it stuck out I would have been poked. I've had this one a couple years and fired lots of rounds. I say find one you like and go for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry for Jacking the thread, but I am actually looking at a Bersa 380 for the girlfriend. Prices on gunbroker and other sites seem to range from 275-300+ so just wondering what everyone paid for their bersa pistols.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts