Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know seasons are different around the country, but here in MN firearm season is coming up on the 3rd and I'm chomping on the bit like a kid who's been told he's going on a trip to Disneyland. Anyone else in the same boat(or blind) as me? I've had the trailcams out for a month now and there's lots of activity in my area. I've seen a 6 pointer, 2 different 8's, a nice 9, lots of does and some spikers for the future. I spent last weekend putting up all my portable stands. I might put a round through the rifle this weekend just to verify zero, but I'm not too worried about it. Anyways to all you hunters I wish you the best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
That's when our firearms season starts and, yes, I'll keep hunting. I'll just exchange my stick rifle (crossbow) for my .308. :D I'm thinkin' I might get up in the morning and put in one more morning with the stick rifle, too. I've yet to see something, but they always seem to show up on the game cameras when I sleep in. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
Nothing comes close to whitetail deer for sheer hunting pleasure. The best hunt I have ever had was a day when I was able to follow a herd of deer through some very thick woods for about 4 hours, without spooking them, before I was able to get a good shot. Opening day of rifle season doesn't start here in PA. until the Monday following Thanksgiving. I have been out several times with my crossbow and if I can get a shot at a good buck I'll take it, but I've passed on several does and small bucks so far. For rifle season I think I'll be taking my Savage 111 lightweight hunter in 7mm-08. Good hunting to all and keep safe!

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Can't wait until next weekend.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Oh, I'd 10 to 1 rather be hunting ducks. But, deer have more meat per round. :D I love my bird hunting, though. All action, no threat of falling asleep. :rofl: Well, but I'm too old and infirm to go wading in mud now days. I've about given up the ducks, but am thinkin' of joining a local club so I can ride my ATV to the blind rather than have to hike in.

Reactions: 45 Forever

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last year I used my late grandpa's Belgian made Browning BAR in .30-06 to take a 6 pointer and a doe that were chasing each other around. This year I'll start off with my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm mag, and I'll have the Marlin .30-30 in reserve in case I go into the thick brush.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
My buddy in Waco has a BAR in .300 mag he likes, but doesn't hunt whitetail with it. We used to hunt New Mexico together, well a couple of seasons. He used it out there for those cross canyon shots. I preferred my Savage 110 7mm rem mag, heavy enough, but lighter than that BAR to tote around. :laugh: But, that thing is sure a sweet shooting autoloader, light recoil, and very accurate.

Reactions: Jkoht

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nothing comes close to whitetail deer for sheer hunting pleasure. The best hunt I have ever had was a day when I was able to follow a herd of deer through some very thick woods for about 4 hours, without spooking them, before I was able to get a good shot. Opening day of rifle season doesn't start here in PA. until the Monday following Thanksgiving. I have been out several times with my crossbow and if I can get a shot at a good buck I'll take it, but I've passed on several does and small bucks so far. For rifle season I think I'll be taking my Savage 111 lightweight hunter in 7mm-08. Good hunting to all and keep safe!
I was in the woods Saturday with my Brother-In-Law here on the other side of the state. Cold and rainy so not ideal conditions. Carried a cross bow also.

I made an impulse buy of a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter in 7mm-08 last year so I had a budget friendly bolt alternative to my Marlin 30-30. Surprised how hard it is to find ammo in 7mm-08 compared to 30-06 or .308.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen 7mm-08 on the shelves but not very often. Pretty much have to be in a big box store. That's one saving grace of the .30 bullets, most places might have something that'll work for you, and around here most gas stations start carrying a small supply around hunting season. We all know that one guy who shows up to camp who forgot the bullets at home, and if you don't know that guy, you probably are that guy lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts