Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about trying some for my Raging bull. I think they look good but the GF says they look uncomfortable.
Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have Hogue checkered stocks on several revolvers, Ruger, S&W, Colt. I like them, they are a little spendy but look and handle better than the rubber-synthetic ones.
I prefer Herrett stocks but they are more than I'm willing to pay.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
No, I don't like synthetic, they just don't feel good. I have two revolvers with OEM synthetic stocks and they will be changed out in the near future. A Taurus 327B2 and a Charter Arms Target Patriot, both will be seriously enhanced in handling and appearance by checkered wood stocks. The only hand guns I own that wear the original stocks are a number of older Colts with the black hard rubber/bakelite material, I can't remember the true name of the material, but all those Colts were built prior to 1927 and are all original. Everything newer has Hogues or Herretts on them.

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
The heavier the recoil the more "uncomfortable" wooden grips "may be".

A lot depends on the design of the grip, and the size/shape of the shooter's hand.

A big beefy mit on a 250 lb. man will absorb recoil better than skinny, boney fingers on a frail 80 year old.

Then you have to factor in how the individual shooter generally handles recoil; some folks do better than others.

The late great Elmer Keith was a small man, but NOT recoil sensitve in the least.

At best it's a "trial and error" thing...

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have Hogues on a few of my Rugers. The wood versions of the same rubber models tend to be just a little fatter in the hand than the rubber. If they fit your hand then it's either a love them or hate them. I love them on my GP100's and my SP101, but then I like the way they fit in my hand. I find recoil to be just as much about fit in the hand as material the grip is made from. I can light off a .357 magnum in my SP101 and the Hogue fits my hand so well that the recoil doesn't snap my hand at much as the tiny OEM grip did even though the OEM grip is rubber. So I think you can put up with an ill fitting rubber grip that absorbs some felt recoil, but you can't put up with an ill fitting wood or nylon grip. I did just get a set for my round butt Model 10 but didn't like them on that gun. They fit right and felt ok, I'm just in favor of them also looking right on the gun. Now I have an excuse to find a round butt Model 66... Bottom line, you won't know how they feel until you try a set on your gun. I have medium large hands from my glove size and I like Hogues just fine.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't like rubber grips. Seems too hard to get the 'right feel' at the range. First thing I did with my Smith 686 is buy Hogue wood. Much better (for ME).

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I tend to like rubber grips, but I do like wood ones as well. I've used Hogue wood, and have no complaints with them. However, perhaps your LGS will give you a chance to shoot with new grips before you buy, or would be willing to take a return on them if they don't work out?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I like both type grips Hogue makes. Would rather have noncheckered wood on guns with little or no recoil. Put rubber on anything with recoil. Do not think Hogue makes a wood grip for the Raging bull. Pull the grip that is on your gun and you will see the grip frame is different than most revolvers. Another poster was trying to find wood grips not long ago for a Bull. Years ago when the 454 Bulls first came out a friend made a set for his. They looked good but felt recoil with full loads was painful to say the least. Wood looks good, beats rubber hands down in the looks department. I am a shooter, and go for what works best in that area for me. Heavy recoil takes a wood grip that really fits the gun and shooters hand for the grip to work well. The grips on the first Contenders in 44mag would eat your lunch. There was no rubber at that time for them. Grip makers came up with wood that worked much better and made the heavy recoil guns easier on the hand. It can be done and the wood looks good. Just go with someone that understands the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I love the look of Hogue® grips, especially the wood grips. Unfortunately for me, they are too small; as I need grips that cover the backstrap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts