Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using converted 9mm Luger cases? I'm looking for a load for a 93 gr cast LRN bullet with Hodgdon Universal, or W231/HP38 is another option. The data out there is sparse, and using converted cases changes things. There's some stuff listed but most of the lead bullet loads are 100 gr.

I figured I'd just start with .380 data since the bullet weight is the just 2 gr off from I what I use in .380, and case capacity should be larger in the Mak. Then work my way up from that. I was wondering if anybody has actually done this.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
It may be possible, but not sure how safe it may be. The diameter of a .380 and 9mm Luger are the same, however the Makarov round is actually a tad wider than both of them. IMSMC, Makarov rounds measure .362 while the other two are .355. You could risk splitting the cases cramming that projectile into there. Just a thought on my part, maybe an experienced reloader can direct you towards load data for them. If you search for some of RanchDog's posts, you may find some helpful info. I know he's made a 9mm Makarov mold, so I'm pretty sure he can give some more in depth insight on loading up those rounds.

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be possible, but not sure how safe it may be. The diameter of a .380 and 9mm Luger are the same, however the Makarov round is actually a tad wider than both of them. IMSMC, Makarov rounds measure .362 while the other two are .355. You could risk splitting the cases cramming that projectile into there. Just a thought on my part, maybe an experienced reloader can direct you towards load data for them. If you search for some of RanchDog's posts, you may find some helpful info. I know he's made a 9mm Makarov mold, so I'm pretty sure he can give some more in depth insight on loading up those rounds.
Thanks for the concern, but I've researched this thoroughly. Youtube is full of videos for the process of converting Luger cases to Makarov. Midway finally got some .363 cast bullets in, and I will soon have everything assembled to give this a shot. If this works out, I think I may take up bullet casting again. The Mak bullets are available, but still not everyone offers them.

As you can see from one of my previous posts there's little that deters me... http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/reloads/70480-wildcat-making-rimmed-380-case-m380-revolver.html

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
This is a pretty common undertaking. Once fire-formed in the Makarov
chamber, except for a slight difference in rim diameter, you have
Makarov cases.

Now, go make some friends. Leave you're trimmed 9mm cases at the range
for the 9mm Luger people to scavenge. Talk about borking up a reloading
session.

All the Best,
D. White

1 - 5 of 5 Posts