Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded a generator for a taurus model 81,at least thats what stamped on the inside of the crane. It looks like a 85,but with no lock. Is this a early model 85. It's a SS snub 38. I'll post some pic.s later. Can anbody tell me anything about it? How old it is. It's in great shape.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Not really sure about an 81 specifically, i do know they had an 817 at one time. Same frame as the 85 but with a 7 shot cylinder, kind of a shame they don't make them anymore. Try the find my model link in the above post, if it doesn't come up then try calling Taurus CS and see if they have a record for it. Otherwise, it's older than 1984 and would have been imported by another company so the records are not available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are a few pic's of my 38 snub I just got.

Ok so I ran the serial number on that site and it came back un found.I blurred out the number, except the first two letters of the serial number are DD. It doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad it's in good shape for its age. Has to be a earlier design because it has the large screw on the right hand side plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
She's from the previous generation of Taurus revolvers and that's the era of Taurus and Rossi revolvers that I love. That's a very nice find.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'll bet this is an early model 85. The number inside of the crane has nothing to do with the model of the gun. I have a model 85 chief undercover and the model # is nowhere on the gun. The number on crane of my gun is 0926. The serial # is the clue.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
sweet pix Looks like a real nice gun

·
Registered
258 Posts
Look closely at the pictures of this gun listed as an early model 85. I'd say that your gun came along at about the time of this one. <a href="http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=293274438">http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=293274438</a>

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
That's a nice specimen regardless of the exact model number.
I did look in my 2001 Fjestad Blue book. There is no model 81 listed. It lists the "80" and the "82", but skips "81".
Anyway, enjoy it's companionship. It probably needed a new friend. :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That's a great looking old snub! Barrel looks short (less than 2 inch?). No porting is nice.

Coop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts