Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
32,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to ask the question. Does anyone own and shoot Makarovs? I look at them as a .380 ACP alternative and all around fun pistol to shoot. Comes apart easy. Cheap, but well made for a Russkie gun. And carries concealed well as most mid bore small pistols. Bigger bullet than the .380 ACP.Easy to maintain and as accurate with the right ammo as any other pistol in the inventory. Have two Bulgarian Makarovs and bought them when prices were lower. Usually buy two of a type. If the first goes into evidence, another exact copy is ready to take the evidence gun's place. Not going to be caught unprotected if possible. All the controls are the same, so don't have to change the mind set or pistol operation.Makarovs come apart similar to Walther PPK or PPK/S series. Holsters by many makers are easy to find. Just enjoy them a lot.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've had an East German for several years. It was my first carry gun and what I shot my first carry class with. Maks are climbing in value and the supply appears to be dropping off from what I've heard recently. The only drawback is ammo. I end up ordering almost all of mine online.

My father has 4 and my brother will be getting an EG once he get his carry permit (dad currently h as it). We joke that its the family gun. If my XD goes down I'll be switching to either my Mak or my Kimber.

Even with prices climbing the Maks are still a good buy. I think (and have seen) that they will shoot with Sigs, HK, Walthers and Kimbers.

Steelheart

·
32,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering the two of us are in Siberia as far as winters, go compared to all the Southerners we have here, I would use the Makarov as a summer hide away. Winter demands a larger, heavier, and more substantial caliber or power level for winter clad criminals. ;D :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I still have one unmolested Bulgarian... been meaning to put some Novak sights on this one, but haven't found the time... yet!

·
32,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice pistol 9x19. Are you planning to put Pierce rubber grips or some others on? My hand stung when using the as-issued plastic ones. And pray tell, what ammo are you breaking it in with? :) You may have been over to or belong to the Makarov forum at www.gunboards.com and taken a look at North Bender's sticky thread on all the Mak loads. If not it is quite an eye opener. Thought I saw you over there. Makato or Weregunner might ring a bell. Bigger sights seem to be a must to get the max potential out of a Makarov. Keep us posted on progress or on the if and when. Like the National Inquirer, we just have to know. ;D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shoot mostly Barnaul ammo, still have a couple cases from a year or so back.

At one time I had a half dozen Maks, and have done Novaks on several, including an East German I did for an internet friend of mine in the Northwest. I've put dovetailed fronts on several Russian commercial guns as well, opening up the rear notch a bit too.

I sold most of mine a year or so back due to some cash-flow issues in my personal life, but still have the one.

I like the issued grips, though I add some grip tape to make then less slick. Extended shooting sessions are much more comfortable with the Pearce grips, but those grips are a bit large for my tastes and the rubber catches on clothing somewhat more as well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My very FIRST firearm was my Russian Makarov.

Built like a tank. Always reliable.

Pic is in the gallery.

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Russion Mak and it is one of my favorites, accurate and reliable.
I carry it with Hornady 95 gr JHP XTP.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
9x19, You're not the only one who's had to part with guns they liked due to money issues. Been lucky for a while now (also got better at managing my money).

Sniper56, I use the same load when I carry mine. But I'd run anything from Corbon too, still haven't tried the Powerball though.

Steelheart

·
Registered
36 Posts
I HAD a Bulgarian Mak, until financial problems forced me to sell it. (Yeah, I know, join the club.) The black plastic grips that came with it also gave me a problem. I ordered a the Red Star grips from Makarov.com and the pain went away. My problem was caused by the screw hole in the back. On the Red Star grip, the screw fit flush, so no problem.

Yup, it is slightly larger than the .380, in two directions, 9.2x18mm, which also makes it slightly larger than the 9x19 in one direction. ;)

I miss mine. I hope to replace it soon, now that I have a job again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Al,

I had to sell a few handguns awhile back myself, so I know how you feel. Congrats on the new job, but given today's prices on Maks, I'd pass them by for a Bersa in .380. You really aren't giving up much in terms of ammo performance, ammo is easier to find, and the Bersa's prices are much more reasonable.

I love my Mak, but it is NOT a $300 gun!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Those are some very nice looking Maks. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
9x19 said:
Al,

I had to sell a few handguns awhile back myself, so I know how you feel. Congrats on the new job, but given today's prices on Maks, I'd pass them by for a Bersa in .380. You really aren't giving up much in terms of ammo performance, ammo is easier to find, and the Bersa's prices are much more reasonable.

I love my Mak, but it is NOT a $300 gun!
I had a Bersa, it was a nice gun. It went the same way the Mak did. I'd like to get another one of those too, but I still want another Mak. But I am not going to pay $300.00 for one. Not unless it's really tricked out. Then again, I don't want one that's "really tricked out" anyway. ;)

·
32,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Al. www.gunboards.com has the Makarov forum. The members there know where and the when to get Maks for under or at $300. Just have to ask or browse recent threads there to keep up to date. CZ82s,83s and P64 or P64 9x18 pistols all seem to be the rage know days. Chexk witheach of the sponsors at Gunboards and see if they have any Maks for the lower price. Most sell surplus guns or C and R types. The Shotgun New periodical comes out several times a month as does Gun Lists. Those have dealers with Maks or similar pistols advertised regularly. These periodicals can either be subscibed to or bought at Wal-mart, Barnes and Noble or some of the local gunshops. At least this is true in this area.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Definitely cruise the LGSs in your area. In January my father found a nice East German Mak priced like a good Bulgarian Mak. The guys working the shop were clueless and the owner was at the Shot Show. He confused them more with his C&R FFL. The abuse was abated when he chose to carry it out in a case vs tucking it into his waistband to leave (yes, he has a valid carry permit).

You just have to know what you're looking at and what they're worth.

Steelheart

·
Registered
36 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Al. www.gunboards.com has the Makarov forum. The members there know where and the when to get Maks for under or at $300. Just have to ask or browse recent threads there to keep up to date. CZ82s,83s and P64 or P64 9x18 pistols all seem to be the rage know days. Chexk witheach of the sponsors at Gunboards and see if they have any Maks for the lower price. Most sell surplus guns or C and R types. The Shotgun New periodical comes out several times a month as does Gun Lists. Those have dealers with Maks or similar pistols advertised regularly. These periodicals can either be subscibed to or bought at Wal-mart, Barnes and Noble or some of the local gunshops. At least this is true in this area.
Ahh, Barnes and Noble. Last time I went into one, I nearly caused a small riot. ;) I guess it was my T-shirt that said "Guns don't kill people, Liberals against concealed carry laws kill people." The Barnes and Noble I went to is across the street from MSU. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts

My Bulgarian is atop, the East German (my first 9mm pistol!) is on the bottom. They're both fantastic guns! I was hooked when I fired a co-workers Bulgarian. I simply didn't miss the bullseye and LOVED the way it felt!! Ammo is a little scarce.

I had forum friend and fellow shooter mrnuke7571 grab me 2000 rounds of norinco green box from an old gentleman who's shop was closing due to retirement. That was probably in late winter and I only have 250-300 rounds left. You tell me if I like them and like to shoot them! ;D

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a Bulgarian and a Russian; fun to shoot and seem to have no hiccups whatsoever. I haven't shot either a whole lot, will need to remedy that soon! I bought a batch of the silver bear ammo and it functions well. Another note, my better half really likes the look and feel of the Maks; she says they are 'cool'.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts