Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
22,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF's Mini has run flat tires, and one of them is losing air. Normally I'd jack it up, take the wheel off, plug that puppy, and get 'er back on. But run flats are kind of different, aren't they? These are Continentals, and apparently Continental doesn't want you to repair their fun flats.

What do you all think? Any harm in giving it a shot and seeing what happens? I haven't even checked the tire valve yet, so it could just be a loose valve. Just picking the collective TArmed brain.

·
Registered
18,576 Posts
The main tire problems I see are slow leaks that keep setting off the TPMS. Up here, it's usually some slight corrosion or dirt buildup around the rim that proves to be the culprit. On average, alloy rims around here only make it 1 or 2 years before they have to be broken down and cleaned. Valve stems on the sensors go bad with some regularity too. With some makes, the stem itself is replaceable but on many, the entire sensor has to be swapped-out. In NM, road salt wouldn't be an issue but it could still be crud around the bead. A little soapy water around the bead and valve stem might show something.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Just run a can of fix-a-flat with the green slime stuff in it. Works like a charm. Let the tire shop deal with the after effects:D

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Just run a can of fix-a-flat with the green slime stuff in it. Works like a charm. Let the tire shop deal with the after effects:D
A guy making $9 an hour will not feel like cleaning that stuff out. He will say the tire is ruined, and you need to buy a new one. Now ask me what I did for work when I was a teenager.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
As long as the puncture is in the middle portion of the tire, you should have no problem using the plug. But, if it is close to the edge of the tire, I would not use the plug, I would take it to a tire center and let them put an inside patch on it. :thumb:

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
A guy making $9 an hour will not feel like cleaning that stuff out. He will say the tire is ruined, and you need to buy a new one. Now ask me what I did for work when I was a teenager.
That's when you say "I'm not a chick, clean it":D

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I bought a used police car that had run flats and sold the whole tire/wheel assy's to a kid for his demolition derby car, he said they work great....

·
22,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I finally got around to pulling the tire and checking it out. A mere 16 days after starting this thread! :D

It was a screw in the middle of the tread. Pull, plug, done. It was the easiest plug I've put in in a while. I'm guessing the firm sidewalls didn't let the middle of the tread flex as much.

Reactions: Wolf1477
1 - 10 of 10 Posts