Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a post on FB by someone that said they saw an article which stated, Taurus was looking at bankruptcy, and selling out to Winchester. Anyone hear of this?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Olin, I think, still owns licensing of the Winchester name and does produce ammo. FN of Belgium bought out US Repeating Arms when they went into bankruptcy. Browning out of Utah might still have some licensing agreements, but I think FN does most of the production of any firearm that says Winchester on it. Olin has been talking about selling off the ammo business and concentrating on their core products of their chemical business. I do not see it unless it is FN that is interested.

EDIT: Just for clarity, the Herstal Group actually owns FN, U.S. Repeating Arms, and Browning, and has a corporate partnership with the Japanese company, Miroku Co, LTD. Miroku produces some of the firearms with the Browning and Winchester name.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I googled Taurus bankruptcy and didn't find any announcements. There was some meaningless article that computed a probability of bankruptcy for Taurus, but that isn't an announcement. Wonder what my probability of bankruptcy is.

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of nonsense, especially considering that Winchester is no longer an independent company but rather a brand name.

The closest thing I heard was that Taurus was being bought out by Freedom Group and that their firearms would be rebranded as Remington firearms, (i.e. the Taurus PT92 would be rebranded as the Remington R92 and so on) but that just ended up to be a rumor, albeit one which may have been based on Anthony Acitelli stepping down as Taurus CEO to become the new CEO of Remington.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
If they are it wont be until after the lawsuit is settled and payout has been met . I don't think the judge would let Taurus get away without finishing the lawsuit results .
Most likely correct. However, if both parties agree then Taurus could be bought. But I would find it unlikely that a suitor would want to purchase a company prior to a pending bankruptcy ruling. I went through a bankruptcy with a previous employer just after I accepted a fairly lucrative buyout package. The bankruptcy held up the payout for about 5 years. Even though other parts of the company were sold off piecemeal, in the division I worked certain provisions were contested in the Canadian courts. It was a mess and I eventually only got about 85 cents on the dollar from the payout. Bankruptcy declarations are a real PITA for employees and I feel for Taurus US employees if this is the case.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Another thing folks forget is that Taurus was already bought out by CBC (Magtech) a few years ago, and it's unlikely that they would be willing to let go of Taurus so soon.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The post was in the Taurus PT111/PT140 millennium shooters group, only reason I gave it any credence.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Actually I was just reading that myself recently. I think it was on a gun forum. Taurusarmed.net maybe? I think it was. Oh wait it was this thread!

And that's how rumors get started.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.