Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was resizing some brass tonight, and noticed the FL resizing die was leaving a sharp scored edge right at the bottom of the bottleneck. I first noticed it on some nickle cases I was resizing, and now have 20 with a nice, shiny brass ring on them. I took the decapper out, marked a couple of brass cases with a Sharpie, and ran them through. The score mark is only halfway around the neck, with a couple of smaller ones on the taper. I looked inside the die, and there is a small edge in that area that wasn't polished off during machining. I have some valve grinding compound, jeweler's rogue, and a full assortment of sandpaper all the way down to 10K grit. Would it be better for me to attempt it myself, or contact Lee and sideline my .223 for a bit?.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I think, at the cost, let Lee deal with it. They always have excellent factory service, in my experience.

However, if you don't want to wait, I would suggest a wooden dowel, tapered like in a pencil-sharpener, dampened and then charged with some fine compound and run up in there and just try to deburr that edge where neck meets shoulder. Don't over-do it, polish a little, clean the die and run a cartridge through it and see. You might have to re-sharpen the dowel a time or two if the wood is softer. You may well be surprised and pleased with your own labor.

Flash

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Send it back to lee.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
I had some that I inherited that had some rust on them. I disassembled and tossed in the SS Pin Tumbler for a few hours and they came out looking like new. The rifle dies are not carbide and so would be more susceptible to scratching. If a new die I would definitely ask them to replace it...if used for some time, it probably happened with a grain of stone from dirt. It couldn't hurt to call them...they may replace it for shipping cost or sell it at their cost.

Reactions: 57K and darbo

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
First thing I would let Lee take care of it. If you end up with 2 dies, original and replacement, out of the deal then I might clean up the original and keep it as a spare.
I second this.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
if it comes down to you having to do the work, I would suggest using cratex or muzzy abrasive rods. They're the same type of rods you use for jeweling bolts. Once the burrs are removed, you can use polishing wheels for a dremel and restore the die to better than factory condition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've just been dealing with them on some equipment. They have a 2 year warranty. If you ship it to them outside the warranty and they can repair it they will and ship it back at no expense to you. You only pay the shipping one way. If they can't repair it they will replace it, outside the warranty for half of the current price for that product.
Go here and click on the "Contact Us" tab and then click on "What is Lee Precision's, email address". This will bring you to a form for emailing Lee you question. Do it on a business day and they usually reply very quickly.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: I've been emailing Lee the last week, and die is on the way back. From the description I gave them, it sounded like it was a bad ream job. The area in question should have been a smooth roll, not a sharp corner. The CS rep told me more than likely, they will simply replace the die.

Lee rocks!!!

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
UPDATE: I've been emailing Lee the last week, and die is on the way back. From the description I gave them, it sounded like it was a bad ream job. The area in question should have been a smooth roll, not a sharp corner. The CS rep told me more than likely, they will simply replace the die.

Lee rocks!!!
I find them to be very reliable...and fair. Great CS!!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I received a brand new die yesterday. I actually got a call from the tech, and it was definitely a bad ream job. The spot was actually cutting into the brass enough two of the six casings I sent back failed at the spot with the scoring. Lucky for me, I'd only run about 200 casings through the die, so those will get tossed. New die pops them out picture perfect. They even tossed in an extra decapper/resizing pin for the trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts